Steamer vs. hooded dryer for deep conditioning treatments?

When you use heat, which do you prefer to use for your deep conditioning sessions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you so very much for your response. You see, I've never had a steam treatment in the salon, so when I saw that thing I was like oh crap am I going to be able to work it:drunk::laugh:. Since I can fill a jug of water, I guess I won't be having any problems:lachen:. Thanks again.

UPDATE!!!!!! I went and purchased the steamer that FAMUDVA recommended. I'm so excited, I can't wait to recieve my package and do my first steam treatment. Thanks FAMUDVA!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!! I went and purchased the steamer that FAMUDVA recommended. I'm so excited, I can't wait to recieve my package and do my first steam treatment. Thanks FAMUDVA!!!!!!

You're too funny~! You're welcome and I hope you have great results with your steamer. Your results will get better and better the more you use it. :yep:

You're too funny~! You're welcome and I hope you have great results with your steamer. Your results will get better and better the more you use it. :yep:
I can't wait to use it consistently to gain optimal results. And again thank you sooooooo much for your help and answering all my thousands of questions through pm's. You're the best. :yep:

hmmm... well i'm transitioning and i'm attempting to get on board with this whole hair health thing, so i wanna try the home grown steam version first. if i like it i may get myself one for my birthday. ♥

Oh yes, please come back and let us all know how you like it.

I definitely will and please post your review as well.:yep: It arrived today and I plan to use it and straighten my hair on Saturday in preparation for a formal event that night.

Famu, what specific conditioners/oils are you using to steam? Anyone else can feel free to answer that as well--TIA I'm really excited b/c my hair has been dry and it's getting colder here.:perplexed

I definitely will and please post your review as well.:yep: It arrived today and I plan to use it and straighten my hair on Saturday in preparation for a formal event that night.

Famu, what specific conditioners/oils are you using to steam? Anyone else can feel free to answer that as well--TIA I'm really excited b/c my hair has been dry and it's getting colder here.:perplexed
I will definitiely post my reviews as soon as I get my shipment. I got confirmation today, it has been shipped....yaaaay. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review as well and I want all the details:grin:

STEAMER!!!!!

I love my steamer. My hair is healthy because of my steamer. I steam everytime I wash. When I skip I can tell the difference!

Last edited:
I actually use my Mastex thermal heat cap. I slather a hair masque or conditioner on wet or dry hair (slathering with oil then layering a conditioner over that is wonderful), spritz the inside of a plastic cap with rosewater or herbal tea mix and go under my heat cap. When the heat cap cools after about 20 minutes, I will turn it off for a minute and then turn back on so it will come back up to maximum heat (about two-three minutes) and stay under for another good 10-20 minutes for a total of 30-40 minutes. My hair always comes out moisturized, detangled where I can just run all my fingers through it withoug snagging, soft and so incredibly silky. I have flirted with the notion of a steamer for over two years, but my hair comes out so well with this method and I have a tendency to buy stuff and put it in a closet or downstairs and not want to be bothered with taking it out, so I have opted not to buy it.

I will definitiely post my reviews as soon as I get my shipment. I got confirmation today, it has been shipped....yaaaay. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review as well and I want all the details:grin:

Here's my review of my Salons R Us steamer::2inlove:

Assembly: Very easy to put together. The assembly picture was self explanatory.

Products Used: I prepooed with Amla oil and shampooed/deep conditioned with NTM products.

Technique: I divided my hair into four sections and saturated my hair with Amla oil from root to tip. I did not use a plastic cap. I made sure all my hair was clipped on the top of my head so that my ends were thoroughly steamed. I sat under the steamer for 15 minutes. I chose to use a sulfate shampoo because I really needed to strip my hair of cone buildup over the last week. I applied conditioner to hair in four sections and sat under the steamer for another 15 minutes. I washed and detangled. I proceeded to straighten my hair using my FHI blow dryer and flat iron.

Benefits I noticed with using steamer:
-- Hair was super soft after shampooing which is not usually the case after I use a sulfate shampoo.
--Detangling was a breeze, it took me less than 10 minutes compared to my usual 15-20 minutes.
--The blow drying/flat ironing process took less time because my hair was so very soft
--My hair was noticeably shinier without applying any products
--My ends got SUPER straight which is a biggy for me b/c my ends are usually frizzy even though the rest of my hair is stick straight.:clap:
--I got a mini facial:look:

The real test will be how my hair looks throughout the week. I'm hoping that the steamer will cut down on reversion, as noted by other ladies. I definitely think the steamer does a better job in moisturizing my hair than the hooded dryer in a shorter period of time. I am very happy with my purchase and I can't wait to see how my hair progresses with continued usage.

Score: A+:heart:

I'm so glad to here you had a good experience with your hair steamer:yep::yep:. I can't wait to try mine, but I'm having technical difficulty with this thing. The stand is totally unstable, don't know what's wrong with it but alas as soon as I can get it together I'll keep you posted.:wallbash: Anyway plz come back and let us know how your hair held up.

I don't even use my Hooded dryer anymore for my conditioners, I either use my Self heating caps when I am not pressed for time or my Steamer for shorter and deep conditioning.

SIGGGHHHHHH......I am just about climbing the walls waiting for my steamer:perplexed
I had minor surgery so I am stuck in the house which would make this the perfect time to try out any and everything....Just listening to you ladies talk about the ''wonders'' of these steamers is making me even more anxious to get it, lol.....hurry up Huetiful (((July 15th seems so far away)))---just a mini rant---most likely due to my extreme boredom...thanx for bearing with me guys!:perplexed

Steamer! If I didn't own one I wouldn't answer the question.

Steaming with a steamer is better than any other method. Other methods are good, but nothing compares to the machine.

I voted other.....DC on dry hair overnight. But I am liking darlingdiva's method....

ETA: oops, missed the "when you use heat" part of the poll (MY BAD!).....I should have voted "hooded dryer"

Last edited:
Y'all are going to laugh but I just steamed my hair with the Tobi because I don't have the money for a steamer!! I don't know if the benefits will be the same but in my case it's worth the try.... Don,t laugh too hard y'all

So how much is too much! I love my steamer, but I'm afraid of overdoing it! Can I damage my hair from too much use! (Too much, meaning---3x's a week?)

I bought a table top facial steamer for around $75. Then I matched it up with my hooded dryer to create magic. I have a video demonstration of the process.

By the way, this steamer is sold on Amazon for less than I paid for it at the beauty supply store.

I got a steamer and I love it, my hair is softer after shampooing and detangling is a breeze. I bought the one from Salons R Us minor cosmetic damage, takes alot of space in my BF 1br....but I am so happy to have gotten it!!!

Side note** I paid for mine with my Wachovia/Wells Fargo points...didnt know I had so many 14k and opted for the money deposit. 5k per $50 bucks...so I got my kinda free...So check your bankcard and credit card reward points!!!!!

Hey all!
Is one better than the other for deep conditioning?

I have had a lot of success following the "chicoro" method.

If I am doing a protein dc, then I use "dry heat" ie hooded dryer.

If I am doing a moisturizing dc, then I use "moist heat" ie. steamer.

JMHO! :look:

So how much is too much! I love my steamer, but I'm afraid of overdoing it! Can I damage my hair from too much use! (Too much, meaning---3x's a week?)

WOW! I don't steam that often. When I first got my steamer, I was doing it weekly, just because it was so relaxing for me and my hair loved it. I was neglecting my protein/moisture balance. After about 1.5-2 months with no protein to speak of, my hair got over moisturized ( felt mushy when wet, literally ) and I had to go back to the normal routine that I've had.

So yes, imo, you can over moisturize your hair. Now that I am back on my protein/moisture rotation, my hair's back to normal.

Yes you can over do it with moisture. However, I have been steaming 2xs a week since August. I have not had any problems.

When I brought my steamer the website advertised that it would...

1. Condition the hair 5X better than a hooded dryer.
2. Cleanse and purify the scalp
3. Allow for easy detangling
4. Help dye and color penetrate quickly and more effectively
5. Help the hair retain moisture

So far the advertisement has held up to its word. My hair is much more softer and moisturized. A couple of months ago my mother dyed her hair black and I convinced her to use the steamer. Afterwards her hair stayed black for several months, even she noticed the difference when using the steamer.

I prefer a steamer to a hooded dryer. I used Lucky's mom's method most of this year (thank you!). Then finally got a huetiful steamer for 114. I used it earlier this month and I love it! It's tabletop, easy to assemble, and the company spreads a good message (beauty in m/any hues).

Now, I'm just trying to figure out which deep conditioners pair best with the steamer.

I'll admit my own bias: I just don't like hooded dryers. They remind me of dreaded salon visits. I prefer to twist or knot, airdry and then use my FHI blow dryer.

Although I voted for Steamer, I actually use BOTH.

I recently read from Chicoro (I think), that steamers work best for moisture infusion, so I use a moisture DC with my steamer. When I DC with protein, I use a cap and my hooded dryer. So far the results seem to be working well for me.

Back