Used Henna for 6 months or More?????

africa

How has henna affected your long term growth?

I've read threads where people have mentioned their hair feeling thicker, stronger, and shinier, but I'm wondering how it has helped growth in the long term?

Does it help you retain your length? Prevent splits, etc?

I've henna'd a few times over the last 1 and 1/2 years, and I'm in the process of simplifying my regimen. I've done a lot of things during this time to succesfully improve my hair (using milder relaxers, protective sytles/braids, low heat) and I'm not sure where henna has helped me. The only time it has hurt is when I used it after taking out my braids and not detangling properly before using it. There were knots and tangles everywere:nono:.

I'm hoping a some of you can let me know what long term benefits to using henna you've had.

thanks in advance :)

I've been using henna regularly since um, last October.

For me aside from the color(which I love) my hair is a lot stronger, less prone to breakage.

Also, I noticed that my frizz is all but gone. It's still super fluffy but not frizzy.

It doesn't really change my texture that much except my hair is smoother. I'm tired and can't explain well so I'll show you pictures.

This is how my hair looked all the time mostly before I started using henna regularly.

This is how my hair looks now most of the time unless I do something crazy to it.

I have been able to cut a lot of products and things out of my routine. I use mild proteins when I need them and lots of moisture. Henna is probably one of two things I won't stop doing at all.

HTH.

I forgot to say that I do think it's helped me retain growth because my hair isn't breaking, I don't have any split ends which I did before. My hair is stronger and healthy and now finally I'm not losing length.

I've been using henna regularly since um, last October.

For me aside from the color(which I love) my hair is a lot stronger, less prone to breakage.

Also, I noticed that my frizz is all but gone. It's still super fluffy but not frizzy.

It doesn't really change my texture that much except my hair is smoother. I'm tired and can't explain well so I'll show you pictures.

This is how my hair looked all the time mostly before I started using henna regularly.

This is how my hair looks now most of the time unless I do something crazy to it.

I have been able to cut a lot of products and things out of my routine. I use mild proteins when I need them and lots of moisture. Henna is probably one of two things I won't stop doing at all.

HTH.

I forgot to say that I do think it's helped me retain growth because my hair isn't breaking, I don't have any split ends which I did before. My hair is stronger and healthy and now finally I'm not losing length.

It seems like you've had wonderful results! Thanks for your response. It seems like my split ends have been at a minimum over the last year, and I'm sure henna has helped it in some way.

My comments below in blue

I've read threads where people have mentioned their hair feeling thicker, stronger, and shinier, but I'm wondering how it has helped growth in the long term?

Henna makes the hair stronger. Having stronger hair means less breakage which leads to hair staying on your head longer, therefore extending the growing phase.

I've henna'd a few times over the last 1 and 1/2 years, and I'm in the process of simplifying my regimen. I've done a lot of things during this time to succesfully improve my hair (using milder relaxers, protective sytles/braids, low heat) and I'm not sure where henna has helped me. The only time it has hurt is when I used it after taking out my braids and not detangling properly before using it. There were knots and tangles everywere:nono:.

I'm hoping a some of you can let me know what long term benefits to using henna you've had.

Using henna/indigo or any of the related plants are great, BUT for our hair MOISTURE is the key.

Henna and it's related products can and will cause serious breakage as opposed to alleviating breakage if the hair prior to services is not at maximum moisture levels.

Henna and it's related products can and will cause serious breakage as opposed to alleviating breakage if the hair prior to services is not at maximum moisture levels.

Thanks for your answers!

I think this is excellent advice that I will definitely keep in mind when/if I use it again. I'm not sure henna ever made my hair shiny but it did make my hair feel sturdier. I am protein sensitive and I'm sure henna can be overdone on hair as well.

Thanks for your answers!

I think this is excellent advice that I will definitely keep in mind when/if I use it again. I'm not sure henna ever made my hair shiny but it did make my hair feel sturdier. I am protein sensitive and I'm sure henna can be overdone on hair as well.

You are welcome! I had to learn the hard way and I don't want others to make the same mistakes. :yep:

Did your hair ever break or harden from henna? Is there anything to look out for to make sure it doens't get to that point?

Sure did. That's why I know the deal! I am still trying recover. I've been using henna and indigo since February 07.
  1. Keep your mixes simple - plain warm water and oil is all you need! Refrain from adding e'erthang but the kitchen sink to your mixes; no acid, no yougurt, no wine, coffee, etc.! People do it, but it can be a disaster waiting to happen. Don't take any chances. :nono:
  2. Do a deep moisturizing conditioner (make sure it's moisture, not a protein) before AND after treatment.:yep:
  3. Apply henna on damp, pre-moisturized, pre-oiled hair. Sareca our resident henna/indigo guru hipped me to this (wish I knew sooner).

I've been using henna monthly for over 6 months and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. My hair is very protien sensitive and dry, but as long as I add lots of moisturizing ingredients to my henna (distilled water, conditioner, glycerin, honey and oils), my hair always comes out soft and strong. It hasn't affected my moisture levels at all.

The only time henna made my hair hard is when I mixed it with lemon juice only. (The first time) And it took a long time for my hair to recover from that.

Sure did. That's why I know the deal! I am still trying recover. I've been using henna and indigo since February 07.
  1. Keep your mixes simple - plain warm water and oil is all you need! Refrain from adding e'erthang but the kitchen sink to your mixes; no acid, no yougurt, no wine, coffee, etc.! People do it, but it can be a disaster waiting to happen. Don't take any chances. :nono:
  2. Do a deep moisturizing conditioner (make sure it's moisture, not a protein) before AND after treatment.:yep:
  3. Apply henna on damp, pre-moisturized, pre-oiled hair. Sareca our resident henna/indigo guru hipped me to this (wish I knew sooner).

ITA! All you really need is water as a base. Everything else is extra.

The color will still release without all that extra stuff, but if you know your hair likes a certain thing, (ie, a special conditioner, oil, or glycerin) You can add that after, but water should be the main thing in it. If I add acid, it's usually just a few TBSP of Orange Juice. I even add an egg yolk to mine, but you just have to make sure you keep the recipe simple and include only things that you know is moisturizing and that your hair likes.

Thanks for passing on the knowledge januarynoir. I'm glad you're recovering from it.

I'm thinking a lack of moisture may have also contributted to the matting I experienced with it a year ago.

ITA! All you really need is water as a base. Everything else is extra.

The color will still release without all that extra stuff, but if you know your hair likes a certain thing, (ie, a special conditioner, oil, or glycerin) You can add that after, but water should be the main thing in it. If I add acid, it's usually just a few TBSP of Orange Juice. I even add an egg yolk to mine, but you just have to make sure you keep the recipe simple and include only things that you know is moisturizing and that your hair likes.

It must be working very well for you because your hair in your siggy looks so soft and shiny :yep:.

I used henna monthly for 10 months. In March I decided to stop. I'm tired of my burgundy,& I have a desire to see my hair sans colour before I go completely grey:yep:

I had excellent henna results because I always kept my mix as simple as possible & made sure to DC after.

It seems like you've had wonderful results! Thanks for your response. It seems like my split ends have been at a minimum over the last year, and I'm sure henna has helped it in some way.

Thanks I have had great results I just love henna.

Matter of fact I henna'd my hair yesterday :D

Hi january noir. You're so helpful and knowledgeable. Should you apply henna on freshly cleaned hair? I only used henna a few times last year, but I am going to start again in a couple of weeks. I was thinking I might wash one day, let it air dry, and then henna and indigo the next day. Is that how is should go? Or do you do it on hair that's not washed, then do all your washing and conditioning after? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In September, I will have been using henna for 2 years. My hair has benefited from henna immensely. It's much stronger than before and much thicker. My hair is extremely fine and was once also extremely thin as well. The henna brought back my natural dark color that had turned a drab brown from relaxing. It works like a reconstructor, building up the hair shaft and filling in weak places. I just can't do without it. I henna gloss every 3 weeks now, for the sake of simplicity. I just use henna, hot water, and conditioner. I do a clarifying wash first and apply to damp hair. My hair is lush and soft when I'm finished. Never, ever dry.

^^ Do you henna on freshly washed and dry hair, freshly washed and wet hair, or dirty hair (then proceed to wash and condition) after? Thanks, your hair is beautiful!! I hope regular use of henna can help my hair too.

I stared using henna right after joining this forum and I love it. I love most if not all of the ayurveda powders for hair. I also use indigo. Mostly indigo as it makes my hair black and covers my grey. I think that after I use the henna products, my hair feels very strong and afer DCing and drying it becomes extremly soft. I am now working on finding a product for the "silky". I tried SAA in my condish but that didnt work. I need something stronger. I bet I can find it in one of the threads in here. As far as retention. I dont think it is just the henna that is retaining the length but one of the factors as to why I can retain the lenght. I think that retention has to do with how you are taking care of your hair and protecting your ends. In that case I moisturize like no bodys business. Right now it is a problem because my hair is drinking everthing..I just started sealing with a mix of grapeseed and jojoba oils and this seems to be working.

Thanks for all the responses ladies!!!! It looks like henna has helped most of you retain (as long as it's used correctly).

I may try it again this month. I suspect that this has helped keep my splits at a minimum.

Back