Use Pink Lotion and Lots of It LOL

Nazaneen

I was paying for a spray bottle at Sally's when my cashier (a Latina)who usually sees me with straight hair complimented my curly hair. We got into a conversation about curly hair because I commented that I liked hers when it's curly too :lol:. Next to me is a chubby white gay man with a nose ring, I didn't know he was gay until he butted in and started discussing hair, very technically too. He warned me never to relax over a relaxer ( duh?) because it destroys the cysteine bonds (blah, blah blah, im on lhcf dude :rolleyes: lol).
He seemed rather condescending all the while. He suggested I use that Sally's heat protectant in the orange clear bottle ( he had it in his bag). I know it's very heavy stuff. He said to spray A LOT of it! :look:
Years ago , I used to spray tons of heat protectant prior to flat ironing and my hair looked disgusting. I didn't mention that though.
I told the other cashier (white girl) I use Chi Silk Infusion and she said it's not a heat protectant and to use Ch Iron Guard. I used that years ago and it made my hair sticky. I didn't insist but I still think Chi Infusion acts as a heat protectant :look:.

Then the gay hairdresser suggested none other than... PINK LOTION. He said to spray that on and flat iron :look:. I think I couldn't hide my disapproval lol. He then began to talk about lcoking out humidity and he explained that if the hair is well moisturized it wont become frizzy from humidity. I agreed and said it was because the cuticle will be closed ( moisturized hair has a flat, sealed cuticle and that keeps humidity out right or is there another reason?)

The look on his face when I said that was not one of pleasure. It was as if I'd self diagnosed and told a doctor what I thought I had :lol: (ive learned that doctors don't care for that lol). It was like he was appalled that I even knew what a cuticle was in hair terms. He disagreed with me :look: He also named other parts of the hair structure, I know he said cortex like he was name dropping LMAO.

Gay men are so b*tchy sometimes :nono: and how dare he suggest Pink Lotion :rofl:.

Last edited:
it's straight junk is what it is. even when i was 13 and totally ignorant, i knew that stuff did nothing for my hair for no other reason than it was an artificial color.

I went home this past weekend for Mother's Day, only to find that my dad had bought a new bottle of Pink Lotion. Apparently they're still making it, and it's still a bunch of pink colored grease. Anyway, now someone's getting PM leave-in conditioner for fathers day...

Ok. I just read this thread yestetday and what happened to OP was funny.
Now today, a guy I work with asked how's my hair coming along (pretty much fully natural with a lil bit of relaxed ends in the front) and I say its going very very good. Then the next thing that comes out his mouth was "you should use pink lotion" and I laughed and then he says "no really. Its really good for black hair." I couldn't take it so I just ignored what he said. He must not know that that stuff is just trash. I knew it was trash when I was 10 and I think that stuff gave me some forehead acne.

Pink lotion is the devil. It dried, broke and made my hair greasy at the same time. I'd give it to my worse enemy lol.

When I was younger, I used to use a dab of pink lotion before wrapping or setting my hair at night and my hair was just fine - in fact, my hair was soft and shiny when I unwrapped it.

I haven't used it in many years, but I just don't recall Pink Lotion being a terrible product.

I looked up the ingredients
Deionized Water - Aqua, Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum, Lanolin , Beeswax - Cera Alba, Petrolatum, Sodium Borate, Panthenol - Provitamin B5, Tocopherol - Vitamin E, Sorbitan Oleate, Ethylhexyl Dimethyl, PABA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea , Fragrance - Parfum , Hexyl Cinnamal , Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Red 33 - CI 17200

They're not that bad...I was expecting formaldehyde in the top ingredients or something :lol: It looks like one of the inexpensive, non-natural products from Dark and Lovely or African Pride or similar lines.

Just wondering - were your overall hair care practices good at the time?

I used to go to the hairdresser regularly and my hair was in good condition. My friend suggested l used it, along with a few others. We all had the same experience apart from her, we'd joke about it and wonder why it worked for her.

My hair was relaxed then and l tried it on two occasions for a couple of weeks. It was just the worse thing I've used. It broke my hair off both times so l knew it was the pink lotion.

Last edited:
Years ago, pre-internet, I saw a young woman in a beauty supply store buying a big bottle pink lotion. That was the only product she bought.

She had long, mid back, thick heat straightened hair 4 which was an oddity at that time( and, offline, still is).

Disclaimer: I didn't ask her if she used it on her hair but if i were to guess, I would say yes.

So, the pink lotion works for some, just as old fashioned hair grease works for some.

Last edited:
Pink lotion? :rofl: I hate when a people impose on others with nice hair what to do with their hair. As if their advice is going to help with what they've been doing to achieve their hair status. Fluuuck off. :rofl:

before I knew about hair, i would use half a bottle at one time on my hair thinking that the more I used, the longer it would stay moisturized. My hair would feel very dry, crunchy, and oily, if that makes sense. Little did I know that this meant Pink Lotion just wasnt for my hair. Im not sure how much protein is in it but now that I look back, I think I was having a protein overload.

When I was younger, I used to use a dab of pink lotion before wrapping or setting my hair at night and my hair was just fine - in fact, my hair was soft and shiny when I unwrapped it.

I haven't used it in many years, but I just don't recall Pink Lotion being a terrible product.

:yep: I think it just depends on you and your hair.

I used to use it to "seal" my hair back before I knew what sealing was. I noticed that when I used my moisturizing spray and then the Pink Lotion on top my hair stayed moisturized longer. And it was shiny. I grew out to APL and was on my way to BSL. I didn't have issues until I started flat ironing and knew nothing about heat protectant. The only reason I don't use Pink Lotion now is because I hate the smell. :lol:

Back