Update on the Scalp Ringworm -- My Dr Appt was this morning...

jainygirl

I went to the office this morning at 10am for my appointment. I was able to get a quick appointment but the receptionist told me that it would be with the PA (physician assistant) and i told her that as long as they could see me soon that it was fine. Okay so i got there at 10 this morning and did my paperwork and got called to the back on time for my appointment promptly at 10 o'clock /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I followed the nurse to my exam room and she asked me what was going on so i told her about my fears with the Scalp Ringworm and she had me take my hair down so that i could show her. --Sidetrack she went on to ask me was i growing my hair out to any specific length and it felt really good to tell her, "i'm actually growing out my relaxer so that i can go back to my natural hair" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif BTW -- She had a nice length hair..maybe armpit and just a tad bit damaged from color but still looked healthy for the most part-- Y'all know i was scoping out the hair.

Anyway, the P.A. comes in and it's this blonde woman with really thin hair (so i'm thinking "Ha!! she doesnt know what she's in for /images/graemlins/laugh.gif) and she asks me about my office visit today so i tell her that my hair is really thick and all of a sudden i have 3 bald spots developing with these dry patches over them. Then i go into how my hair is just too thick to all of a sudden have bald patches when its never done that before in my life. So she asks me do i wear tight ponytails and stuff and i tell her that i only wear my hair up in loose buns or loose twists. So then she starts going through my hair and says, "wow, you really do have some thick hair." and my response was, "exactly which is why i think it's soooo odd that now my hair is just falling out."

After she checked me out she did a swab for cultures on 3 areas of my scalp and also gave me Loprax Shampoo with 1%Ciclopirox to use 2 times a week. She also gave me a prescription for Grispeg 250 mg (for stopping ringworm) but told me to not fill it until they got back the culture results in 2-3 weeks because it may be Seborrheic Dermatitis in which case the course of treatment would be different. But she says the shampoo will stop things from progressing any worse than they are now so i'm just glad to get started on treating this.

I just wanted to let everyone know that i'm halfway calmer now, and i will keep you all updated with my lab results in 2-3 weeks. Thanks everyone for being so nice ((((everyone)))) /images/graemlins/kiss.gif -- jainygirl

I glad you had a pleasant appointment and I hope they get back to you sooner than she said they would.

Take care girl and don't stress.

Jainy, did you give us a shout out? Did you tell sistah-girfriend to pay LHCF a visit, so we could get her mane back on track /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Anyhoo, maybe you don't have ringworm after all. Either way, I'm glad that you are half way to resolution.

Thanks for the update Jainy. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis which was discovered by my dermatologist and yes it will make you loose your hair, fortunately I didn't loose mine. I got Nizarol and Loprox shampoo but I like the Nizarol better. The shampoo will dry out your hair so you will definitely need to use a moisturizing conditioner.

I hope things come back okay. Glad that you are feeling better. O/T I did not know you were in transition....way to go!

[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:
Thanks for the update Jainy. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis which was discovered by my dermatologist and yes it will make you loose your hair, fortunately I didn't loose mine. I got Nizarol and Loprox shampoo but I like the Nizarol better. The shampoo will dry out your hair so you will definitely need to use a moisturizing conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]Loprox will dry the hair out and can turn the hair a little green (well that is what it did to my daughters hair). The doctor had forwarned me so I wasn't too surprised when it happened. But the instructions you get from the pharmacy will list all of the side effects.

[ QUOTE ]
Natasha2005 said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:

[/ QUOTE ]Loprox will dry the hair out and can turn the hair a little green (well that is what it did to my daughters hair). The doctor had forwarned me so I wasn't too surprised when it happened. But the instructions you get from the pharmacy will list all of the side effects.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Chocolate Princess and Natasha /images/graemlins/wave.gif for letting me know some of what you all experienced with the Loprox. Now i wont freak out if it happens to me. They gave me 4 sample bottles of the Loprox with 3 applications in each bottle, so i wont be going to the pharmacy for a 3-4 weeks. It came with a little diary to chart the condition of my scalp each day -- pretty handy. I'm glad that you all are able to give me the scoop on these products. Thanks again -- jainygirl

I'm glad you're feeling better, but I think it's a darned shame that you have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for a simple lab result!! WTH??!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif Medical care really sucks these days. /images/graemlins/look.gif

To kind of keep the shampoo from drying the hair out too much, take your hair and part it and put the shampoo in the parts like you're oiling your hair. Do this with dry or wet hair whichever way is easier to handle. A wet scalp will probably do better. Then massage your scalp all over. Then rinse it out. That way, you won't be applying the shampoo directly to your hair and stripping it.

When I did my hair this way just prior to shampooing, my scalp never felt so good. It just took forever. Just keep that in mind. You have thick hair like mine. It's hard to get at the scalp.

Good for you, Jainy, for being proactive. /images/graemlins/up.gif Whatever the results of the swab tests, I'm glad you addressed it early on. I'm glad you're feeling calmer today and that the medical appt went well.

Anytime girlie! Natasha, the shampoo turned your daughter's hair green, oh lord. I used the Loprox a few times but I liked the results of the Nizarol better.

I'm glad you feel better and calmer jainygirl. I hope things turn out fine for you:)

My husband got ringworm from the gym 5 years ago and I vanquished him from the bedroom and shower 'til it cleared up. I was one paranoid sista!

Jainygirl, I have seb dermatitis and I just got my prescription refilled for my Nizoral. I really like that better than the others I was using. I got a tip from Adrienne who was using Nizoral. She uses the Nizoral and put Keracare detangling poo right on top of it. I do that as well and I never had problem with dry hair. I let the Nizoral sit for a few mins and then I put the Keracare right on top of it. One of the hair books I have said never use a dandruff shampoo w/o following up with a moisturizing shampoo. I guess I am blessed because I never lost any hair with my condition. I am going to pm you for the dermatologist info.

(((Jainygirl))) this is the first I'm reading about this and I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you had to go through this but pleased to hear you're feeling better and more positive. Wish you a speedy and complete recovery. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
I went to the office this morning at 10am for my appointment. I was able to get a quick appointment but the receptionist told me that it would be with the PA (physician assistant) and i told her that as long as they could see me soon that it was fine. Okay so i got there at 10 this morning and did my paperwork and got called to the back on time for my appointment promptly at 10 o'clock /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I followed the nurse to my exam room and she asked me what was going on so i told her about my fears with the Scalp Ringworm and she had me take my hair down so that i could show her. --Sidetrack she went on to ask me was i growing my hair out to any specific length and it felt really good to tell her, "i'm actually growing out my relaxer so that i can go back to my natural hair" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif BTW -- She had a nice length hair..maybe armpit and just a tad bit damaged from color but still looked healthy for the most part-- Y'all know i was scoping out the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the nurse black?

Back