Update on Shedding + Dominican Blowout Pics

Te'TahHead

Hey everyone,

A week ago I made a thread about my excessive shedding. Well, I decided to go to a Domican hair salon and get a blow out. I am only 5 weeks post but the beautician kept insisting I get a relaxer....Now you KNOW I ain't finsta (spelled like that on purpose) let ANYONE other than me relax my head. My new growth is brutal, but five weeks, IMO is too early.

So, I got a deep condition and they blow fried me. I found out the problem with my shedding was my little tangly knots which she took her time to detangle. I was only detangling with a wide tooth comb and the knots managed to slip through the comb! Lesson to low-manipulation ladies: try and detangle witha s maller comb every know and then. I even co-washed last night and I was tangle free. Thanks Mami!

Okay, so in fact my hair DID get thinner and my ends even broke some; I had cut about an inch when I got home. I was NOT about to let any stylist cut my hair either. Here are some pictures of my blow out. The first two are before my cut and the second are after.

320020392.jpg

320020386.jpg

Texture shot [excuse Bob Marley, that's SO's little corner :rolleyes:]-->
320020389.jpg

320020391.jpg

320020387.jpg

Your hair looks Fantastic!!! I think its wonderful that you were willing to sacrifice a teeny bit of length in order to correct your ends....some people are afraid to trim even though they need to...because they don't want to sacrifice ANY length...IMO your ends were not all that thin, but I can understand why you felt the need to trim.....

I admire you for doing that, and not holding onto thin ends just because.....

Thank you ladies!!

Now I am grazing APL and I will wait until I grow some more to cut another inch. I ain't afraid to go healthy.

I tried to wear it down yesterday and became frustrated when it didn't respond to the humidity. For a few hours I was seriously thinking of going natchal or cutting it.

Thank you ladies!!

Now I am grazing APL and I will wait until I grow some more to cut another inch. I ain't afraid to go healthy.

I tried to wear it down yesterday and became frustrated when it didn't respond to the humidity. For a few hours I was seriously thinking of going natchal or cutting it.

You aren't grazing APL...you're PAST APL....unless something is wrong with my eyes!!!!

very nice! she did a good job :)

and i hear you about those knots with shedding :yep: I have also learned to detangle with a smaller comb

Yeah low manipulation has it's good and bad. I'm glad you found out what it was sooner than later. :yep:

Very pretty. The very reason you mentioned is why I started using Mr. Do Right (AKA Denman Brush) every few days because finger and shower comb detangling can only do so much. I'm glad you figured out the problem and are now able to rectify and maintain your sexy :grin:

ok ima need to go head and trim up my ends pronto....your hair pics have convinced me! it's so shiny and THICK and healthy, LOVE IT :)

The blow out looks great, and love the color too. That is one thing for sure, the Dominicans KNOW how to get that sleek bouncy look, don't they? :yep::yep:

Anyway, I learned the very same thing last year. I took the no-combing, no manipulation too far. I had been detangling only with a wide tooth comb and not paying attention to tiny knots. Similar to your experience, I went to a Dominican salon, for a relaxer, and she ripped thru 14 weeks of new growth with a tiny rat tail comb and girl.....so much hair came out.

But that taught me a big lesson! First off, that was my last visit at a salon. More importantly though, it taught me to section off my hair in small parts, start off with a large comb, and then with a smaller comb. Since then I have had almost NO tangling issues.

OMG... Thank you SO MUCH ladies!!!

The color is like that because I run outside a lot and I stand outside for my job. So, it is naturally sun kissed.

It was a lot lighter than this, but 5 weeks ago I put a jet black rinse in there. :ohwell: You guys can't even tell. It did darken some of my hair though. The front is literally blonde. I have learned to except it...lol

Thank you ladies. Yes. Low Manipulation can't be that low when you have a more coarse texture.

I can't wait to get to your length. Very pretty.:yep:

ETA: What are you doing to get so much growth at 5 weeks ? :grin:

No more vitamins. I eat two of my son's gummy vitamins though
I just drink water, exercise, and eat LOTS of fruits and veggies. I still eat a lot of junk, but my hair is growin' girl!!! Best of all, it's free!! lol

Back