UPDATE: Been Growing for Almost 2 Years...kinda long (Pic Timeline)

AnitaTheLengths

:hiya2: Ladies! Tomorrow marks the end of my 2nd year since I began my healthy hair journey. During this time I've discovered which products my hair responds well to and I've pretty much gotten my regimine down. I wash my hair once a week alternating between shik. poo bars and 12 en 1 all natural poo. I DC every week alternating between 12 en 1 conditioner, Infusium 23, HE Hello Hydration, Moisture Milks and Keracare Humectress (all with a dash of honey thanks LHCF). I also use PC, ORS Hair Mayo and Joico Reconstructor as needed. For moisturizing I used Cantu Shea Butter, a light version of pink lotion :perplexed and oils but over the past several months I've switched to blending my own leave in concoctions with unrefined African shea butter, EVOO, EVCO, Argan Oil and a dash of conditioner. I used aryuvedic products biweekly during the first half of the year and will probably go back to doing henna/indigo treatments once a month. Oh, and I'm a MT gal!

During this journey I also learned that not everything works for everyone. For example, I have no curls. I get these odd waves more like krinkles or zig zags, but no curls no matter how much scruching I do. Also I learned not to try everything I read online. I don't know if it was this site or another, but someone made a thread about the magical powers of oatmeal. :look: Yall already know where this is going ~ I had half cooked oats stuck in my hair for a week! :lachen:

Going into year three, I'm going to keep using what works for me and I'm going to try wearing twist outs and buns as my daily styles. I might even start co-washing again. :yep: And I'm going to do my darndest to rein in my PJ habits :rolleyes:

I was hoping to make BSL by the end of 09 but I knew that was a tall order. :realitycheck:Darn stretchy wet hair! :wallbash: I'm this close! Oh well. By my next tex-lax date I'm sure I will be there. I am pleased with the progress that I have made thus far so I'll still do my happy dance. :happydance:

This first pic is my starting point hair - Jan 1, 2008 overprocessed, almost necklength

CIMG0159-vi.jpg

Then ten months later in November 2008

Nov08afterrelaxer-vi.jpg

Then fast forward to May 2009. Due to laziness at the end of 2008 and a really bad self trim in Jan 2009, I ended up getting my hair cut twice to even it out. Once in February then again in early May. This is a pic from the end of May 09:

CIMG1688-vi.jpg

So by this time, I have figured out that tex laxing is best for my hair and I decided to only texlax my hair 4x's a year. By now I'm fully obsessed with hair, I even paid the $6.50 to become a full fledged member :grin: and I am hell bent to reach my goals. So I continue protective styling and baggying my ends under my lf and texlax at the end of Sept 09

2CIMG1906-vi.jpg

I am not impressed. Sometimes it seems like my hair takes two steps forward and three steps back. I looks longer but thinner. :sad::mad: So now I vow to myself to take my vitamins and supplements every day AND to drink more water.

A month and change later I decided to peek at my hair again to see if I notice any change.

CIMG1969-vi.jpg

What a difference 5 weeks can make! After a light flat iron and quick trim of the crunchiest ends my hair looks a lot better. Anyways right after a chemical service I don't feel my hair is at it's best until it's next washing. I dunno why :spinning: I just do.

And all that brings us to today. Yesterday DH texlaxed and I attempted to rollerset (bad idea). I know I put too much product in my hair :wallbash: but something else went left because it was :hair:. So after leaving it wrapped all day, I shook it out and went thru it with my Maxiglide on level 3 (Fine and thin hair).
1230update3-vi.jpg

^^ See! I'm right there at BSB but not quite BSL. I had to put on a bra to torture myself

1230update2-vi.jpg

1230update-vi.jpg

^^How much closer can I be to BSL! I know I have a straggler or two that has breached the strap, but I can't claim that! :grin: And I tried to wait until the 31st to get every minute of growth that I can :lachen: and I still didn't make it! Arrggh!!

I'll still do my little dance because I am happy with the progress I have made over the years. :happydance: :woohoo2::wiggle: And I can claim full APL! :yahoo:

Thank you so much LHCF! I couldn't have made it without your advice and support (even when I was a lurker). Wishing you all a successful HHJ!

Last edited:
It looks like all of your hard work is paying off. :grin: Congrats on making APL!:dance7:

Your post was thoroughly entertaining...especially the oatmeal bit. :rofl:

Missy, you've done very well. Your hair looks healthy and no ratty ends. :nono:Length will come, but fullness is what you've achieved. Keep happy hair growing.

India

Back