Upcoming relaxer...to bonelax or not to bonelax

belletropjolie

So I'm 8 weeks post and I am planning to relax this Saturday. I'm not even sure what my texture is because I'm about 2 or 3 different textures:lol: In essence I have new growth at my roots underprocessed hair (about 50% straight) and then bone straight ends. In other words this: ^^^^---~~~~___ if that makes sense lol.

So I'm curious I have heard of damage due to having different texturs -am I unintentionally damaging my hair by not doing a "corrective"? How do you ladies with multiple textures blend/manage them? For context I've been self relaxing myself and the underprocessing was unintentional.

I vote for you to bonelax! :giggle:

Seriously, I'll tag you in a couple of threads that should help you.

I've got different textures in my hair and it just requires me to be more gentle when combing through/detangling my hair, especially where the more textured hair meets the bone straight hair. That seems to be a weak point that more prone to breakage. Other than that, my different textures don't experience any damage.

So it's really up to you: Do you want more textured relaxed hair or do you want bone straight hair?

Thanks sunnieb! To be honest I am leaning toward underprocessing only because those sections are so full and thick. The only hesitation is the damage I could do by not fully processing. Plus I have a ton of breakage from past failed stretching attempts . I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's up to you. I have experienced some breakage due to having different textures, but that part of my hair (my crown) is prone to breakage anyway.

Texlaxed hair is nice for increased thickness, though.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

If you are experiencing breakage..I would do a corrective to get the really underprocessed areas to be less textured.
To do the corrective you would:
Relax New-Growth as usual
last 5 minutes of the relaxer process..bring the relaxer down and lightly smooth the underprocessed areas
*Be sure to put A LOT of vaseline, conditioner or oil on the straight portions of your hair

If you aren't experiencing breakage and like the fullness of your hair, I would continue to slightly underprocess and not go bone straight.

If u want bone straight.....then correct the waves. If u want a textured look then process it to look like the last waved section. U have to decide what u want first...and then go from there. I got more damage having very wavy coily texture against the bone straight. I wouldnt recommend that combo. Even tho can get breakage from any variation.

once you go bone, you never go back, meaning your hair might get totally ***'ed up then you'll have to cut it. so think about it.

Ugh just realized my response was erased...

Thanks for all the responses!

MsDee14 what has been your experience with correctves- is there potential foe overlapping?

AdoraAdora24 - how do you undreprocesd -with oils? Also does your hair crinkle after a fresh relaxer or is it still pretty smooth at first?

@AdoraAdora24 - how do you undreprocesd -with oils? Also does your hair crinkle after a fresh relaxer or is it still pretty smooth at first?

My hair stays smooth untill the new growth comes out. Its been about 2months since my last relaxer and my hair is still smooth and shiny right now, its just the roots that look like dust balls (I kinda like it though).

Relaxer with oils: I relaxe my hair with 70% relaxer and 30% oil then mix it all together. leave it on for about 15 mins. on my next relaxer Im going to just leave it on for 5mins without oils.

Dont Bone It!!:nono: You'll regret it.

belletropjolie- So far, I only had one corrective, but I used a Mild Relaxer and coated my straight hair in Castor Oil. I believe overlapping was experienced, but my hair was still strong and (I think) healthy after.

Last edited:
Ugh I hate my phone for chopping up my last post...

Anyway, my relaxed came out bone straight in one section and just different degrees of straightness in others. I tried to bun today and I felt about 8 weeks post! I had to tie a scarf to lay it down!

Mandatory positive: my hair is thick, I retained growth and I look close to apl (I hope)

Last edited:
Back