RELAXER STRETCHERS: What causes relaxers to underprocess?

Great thread! Im a texlaxer and I underprocessed last touch-up. I will not be adding CHI Silk Infusion to my relaxer mix next time to see the results. Thanks ladies.

Yes, those silicones seem to prevent the relaxing process a lot. My mom had some hair serum in her hair (I told her to wash her hair three days before the relaxer, but she didn't feel the need to). When I applied the relaxer, it barely took, and her hair is fine and usually relaxes very easily. Those serums are serious business :yep:.

hmmmm... I noticed that I have been underprocessed lately as well. I bet it's the serum. I will definately clarify my hair the week before and follow up with porosity control and then avoid the serum until after I relax. I have a big bottle of Porosity Control and I was looking at it last night trying to decide where to put it in my regi. I just figured out where it fits. Thanks for the info ladies.

Here are the things that usually cause underprocessed relaxers for ME:
-Too much NG and the person applying it doesn't have the patience and/or skill to go all the way through it.
-My hair wasn't properly detangled prior to application.
-The relaxer wasn't applied to my coarser areas first (which tend to be the areas that get underprocessed.)
-Product/-cone build-up

I've also read that having abnormally acidic hair can cause underprocessed relaxers. This usually results from one's diet.

Thanks for bringing this point up, Muffin. I never considered that as a factor, but I suppose that if you properly detangle the new growth, the relaxer can penetrate better.

Back