UNWARRANTED A** HAIR ADVICE!!

DrC

Went to Walgreens to pick up some stuff. My hair is all froed and picked out. Just washed it. I go in and there's a female greeter with blonde and brown neck length dreads passing out small pamphlets that the store will be temporarily closed for a few days.

So after browsing, I make it to the register. The greeter is behind me and says,

"What do you detangle your hair with?"

I had to think because it's a bunch of stuff I detangle with. Mainly some type of oil. Olive oil.

I say, "Olive Oil"

She says, "Try not to use that. I use Kinky Kurly in my hair to detangle and it's great.....blah blah blah blah blah."

I gave her this look of disgust on my face. Then I face my back to her and she's still talking.

Now maybe she meant well, or maybe she was trying to upsell some Kinky Kurly, but um, (DrC's bishy side is out now. Forgive me please) Last time I checked, you were f*****g Wal-Greens greeter. Not a natural hair expert.

Second, uncertain to if she's been on hair forums or not, seen a blowout or hair picked-out before, but we all know not everything works for everyone, which she's probably not aware of. Kinky Kurly makes my hair crunchier than a ****** Star Crunch.

Third, Maybe I missed the memo dread wearers use KinkY Kurly but this chick has DREADS and is telling me she uses Kinky Kurly to detangle. Did we forget we had dreads? I know I had a few glasses of wine today but my logic is not that freaking off.

Or maybe I was just too angry to fully listen to what she had to say. I don't know. I didn't ask you for anything and could have sworn all you had to do was greet me, pass out a pamphlet and go on your goofy merry way.

I'm done.

..........No I aint!! Who the hec does she think she is?!?!? And the weird part is she is a natural. Has she never seen froed out hair before?

Okay. I'm done. *bites tongue*

She was rude. To me she was saying your hair doesn't look nice with whatever she thought you used. At any rate the comment was unecessary.

(Shug) I would have been put off but it would not have made me angry. I would have just tried to ignore her. I get plenty of bald headed women giving me hair advice and I just nod and keep it moving. :yep:

People need to understand that their ads no natural hair experts. There are just people who are really good at understanding what works for their hair. Just because it works for you does not mean it will work for everyone. Also only give advice when requested or making a yet vid. Other than that keep it cute and KIM.

Why do people think they have to give you advice? Sorry it made you upset. I have days like that too. When everyone who looks at me gets the stank eye. No idea how kinky curly does anything for her hair...in any capacity

I hate that! and I've gotten it a lot since I BC'd my hair. One girl at work (with bone straight hair might I add) had the nerve to tell me I needed to visit the hair salon. My natural hair doesn't need to be fixed, people's attitudes and minds towards natural African-American hair needs to be fixed. I loathe Kinky Curly. You might as well put tar or hardened Caramel in your hair.

Can i vent too? :drunk:

The other day at work a patient came in and started giving me product recommendations on how to get my hair straight like hers, while she was playing in it. I'm looking at her like O_o since I didn't comment on her hair at all!

My hair was in 2 flat twists pinned back. Her hair did look nice, but I told her I don't straighten my hair often because it's too much work, I like curly hair, etc. She didn't get the hint. She starts telling me how she keeps hers from reverting, blah blah.

She comes in a couple wks ago and sees I have braids now. She says "Oh you got braids, you're smart. I can't do anything with mine it's growing so long(fingers strands)" then struts off, hair swinging. For some odd reason she thinks I'm bald..

Man I had the strongest urge to take these braids out and stunt on her, but I have goals to make and can't be bothered with the foolishness. If I still work there around Nov-Dec I just might hehe

OP people sometimes gets on my nerves as well when it comes to unsolicited advice. When I did my BC my Sister in law who lives in weaves and has thinning hair was trying to convince me to texture my hair. smh

OP, did you look like your avatar? LOL! J/k!!!!!

I think you overreacted a bit. Everyone has an opinion and she probably really thought she was giving you the Gospel on hair care. I'd have just thanked her and KIM. You know how excited we get when we think we found our staple product! LOL! Good luck to her and her dred lock detangling!

Weird part about it is I didn't get this type of b.s. When I went natural about 5 years ago. Further throughout my journey, I will get some strange random who has something to say. "Oh you need to straighten it." "You need to use WEN. "That's your hair? My hair used to be that long and I used blah blah blah to grow it. I couldn't deal with it. You should cut it."

Really?

Well, playing devil's advocate, I think you did get really angry when you didn't need to.

You know how it is when you're excited about being natural and whatnot... who knows if she just dreaded her hair up recently? (is that possible?) She probably was just happy to see another natural and wanted to look like she knew a thing or two about natural hair too.

I'm sad you looked down on her because she works at walgreens... maybe it's a part time job? Also, Kinky Curly sucks in my hair... I am mad I have an $11 bottle of knot today and a $16 bottle of Kccc... of all products to offer up... :nono:

Wow, people still do this? Unnecessary and rude. I'm well on my way to frizzy, hippy Bohemian nirvana and I wonder if someone is going to tell me in several months to tone down and use XYZ. If I want to look like June Cleaver, then I'll do that. If someone wants to look like whatever they look like presently, why is it a problem with a perfect stranger? SMH.

I have gotten the, "You need to stop doing everything you're doing and use Wen" comments from a few no edge having, bad wig wearing people.

^^^I didn't know they passed out Wen like free govt. cheese. If not, who's supposed to pay for the 100 buck a gallon WEN 2-week supply?

Well, playing devil's advocate, I think you did get really angry when you didn't need to.

You know how it is when you're excited about being natural and whatnot... who knows if she just dreaded her hair up recently? (is that possible?) She probably was just happy to see another natural and wanted to look like she knew a thing or two about natural hair too.

I'm sad you looked down on her because she works at walgreens... maybe it's a part time job? Also, Kinky Curly sucks in my hair... I am mad I have an $11 bottle of knot today and a $16 bottle of Kccc... of all products to offer up... :nono:

I disagree. This is coming from a random person I do not know. There is a huge difference between "What do you use in your hair? Try not to use that. Use Kinky Curly" Vs "What do you use in your hair? I use Kinky Curly and I love it." I would have responded more cordially to the latter.

I don't know if she was trying to pitch a sale or not, she failed miserably and there is a reason they don't have her in the beauty/hair section, but at the front door. :look:

Using the "she's a new natural" excuse does not fly. I get it. You BC. you're free from the creamy crack but being natural does not make one an expert and spokesperson for all natural hair. Even when I went back natural I was not running around here telling random people what they should use. Especially something I'm not knowledgeable about.

It's like someone coming up asking what skin products do you use, and then they tell you not to use them, and to try some bleaching cream that changed their life. :look: :rofl: Nothing was wrong with my hair. I did a simple blowout.

I completely agree with everything you said here and I'm not a natural.

I think the "try not to use that" wasn't a command to get all riled up as a comment that wasn't necessary. I think she was just trying to offer up a tip and probably doesn't see many naturals and felt a kinship.

I get the ladies at Sally's doing the same thing. Now just because they work at Sally's doesn't mean they're hair experts. But I have heard then "No don't use that use/try this"

I just nod and let it go out the other ear. I'd get more annoyed checking out and the **** in front of me is on her Bluetooth having a volume 15 conversation instead of putting her stuff on the counter.
I think the "try not to use that" wasn't a command to get all riled up as a comment that wasn't necessary. I think she was just trying to offer up a tip and probably doesn't see many naturals and felt a kinship.

I get the ladies at Sally's doing the same thing. Now just because they work at Sally's doesn't mean they're hair experts. But I have heard then "No don't use that use/try this"

I just nod and let it go out the other ear. I'd get more annoyed checking out and the **** in front of me is on her Bluetooth having a volume 15 conversation instead of putting her stuff on the counter.

Back