unstraiten maxiglided hair

asummertyme

hi yall..i maxiglided a little portion of my hair just to see how the maxi worked and it came out like thebomb!! super strait and shiny like crazy..just love it..but here is the kicker..how can i get my hair back to its natural state?
it is stick strait, i washed it and it is still strait..what the heezy..this is the first time i have used heat in months..and i mean since april maybe..why on earth will it not revert..any help out there?

What's your hair type?
Did you blowdry first?
What was the heat setting?
What heat protectant did you use?

ooh girl, i was just testing it, i have my hair braided and i did not finish braiding a very small section..so i did not use anything to protect it...my hair type is 3c-4a ..my hair was not blow dried..it actually had some curly pudding in it just to moisturize it..what do ya think..

It usually takes me a good month of washing and deep conditioning once a week for my texture to return after a blowout. I use nexxus aloe rid to clarify, and hair mayo as a protein conditioner. Its also possible that your hair was "burnt straight."

burnt strait? if this is the case...will it ever revert back? i just braided it up along with the rest of my hair..i am hoping when i take out the braids that it will go back...a WHOLE MONTH!?..dang..well at least i know that i may take up to a month for it to turn...im still scared though

asummertyme said:
burnt strait? if this is the case...will it ever revert back? i just braided it up along with the rest of my hair..i am hoping when i take out the braids that it will go back...a WHOLE MONTH!?..dang..well at least i know that i may take up to a month for it to turn...im still scared though

DAMN!!! :lachen:
What size was this little peice?
You got me scared now. :look:

Maybe it was because you didn't use any heat protectant.
And maybe the maxiglide was too high.
What are the heat settings on it?
I heard (heard now, don't know for sure) that it may not be a good idea to turn it over 200 degress Celsius.

caligirl said:
It usually takes me a good month of washing and deep conditioning once a week for my texture to return after a blowout.

Let me put this information out for any lurkers experiencing the same problem.

Don't panic.
As caligirl said, give your hair some time and deep conditioning.
If you think it looks funny and don't want to wear it back or braid it, after you condition while you hair is still damp, spray it with setting lotion and rub in some mousse, it'll give you a curl/wavy/kinky/poofy textured style.

asummertyme said:
ooh girl, i was just testing it, i have my hair braided and i did not finish braiding a very small section..so i did not use anything to protect it...my hair type is 3c-4a ..my hair was not blow dried..it actually had some curly pudding in it just to moisturize it..what do ya think..
Maxigliding over Curly Pudding was probably not a good idea. I find it kind of drying. I have a flatiron that supposedly, if used on the high setting on wet natural hair, will permanently straighten it. So perhaps the setting was too high. ITA with all the advice given by the other ladies. Clarifying is a very good first step. Let us now how it goes.

well its braided up for now...i had it on a high setting though..i really hope my hair is not burnt b/c, that would not be good..it was not a huge section but big enuff..i will give it some time though...to cut that section of my hair off....would not be pretty...this is my 1st time flat ironing my hair in so long..i would be devistated if this happend..

This happened to me once but not with the Maxiglide. My hair was ruined because I did not protect it from the hotness of the iron. never ever use anything on your hair without a protectant, even your blow dryer. It can do unspeakable damage. My hair was singed beyond recovery, but yours may not be. Please continue with the deep conditioning and I hope all goes well.

i had this problem in several sections after a pro flatiron in june they are perm straight silky and shiny to this day, i have to cut it or ignore it i'm on ignore status

i think this is happing to me i have been using the maxiglide about two months and i washed my hair and the ends were straight i am natural and i was like what is going on but the weird thing is my roots are still very curly when my hair is wet but when i flat iron my hair my roots look like i have a perm and the ends are frizzy but wet my ends are stick straight i like to wear my hair straight any way but i don't want to damage it since i am making great progress as my hair now resting on my schoulders i had my mom braid it for me and i think i am going to wear my wig for the rest of the year i have been doing hot oil and deep condtioning every week and aphogee every 6

I am so glad this topic came up.

Please help.
I am going to invest in a Maxiglide, but I had some questions.

I have natural 4b type hair. You know the kind that occasionally breaks a comb.
No chemicals at all.
Will the Maxiglide straighten my hair?
Do I have to blow dry it first?
Thank you really looking for some help

i will post a pic of the flat ironed portion of my hair when i get home from work....my hair was not wet, it was dry with the curly pudding i put earlier that day..i already braided it up so when i take out the braids i will clarify it..i hope it works i cant cut off that part of my hair..it will look crazy..the moisture it had on it was from the steam burst from the flat iron..the roots seemed to revert back but the rest...nope..but i just washed it 2x then i braided it up...i dunno what i will do with one friggin small arse section of strait hair and the rest natural..and it is at least 4-5 inches of hair there..i mean that maxi didnt seem to be burning my hair..no funky burn smell and it was shiny and very strait...i got a bad feeling about it...

Your hair is probably permanently straightened. The combination of curly pudding/no heat protectant and a high heat setting (?) probably did it.

I have used the maxiglide a few times over the last 3 months with a heat protectant on setting 4 and haven't had a problem with my hair reverting.

I would say, try a reconstructor, I use aphogee and sometimes Millenia Mud. If they don't help just resign yourself to doing braid/twist outs to mimic your natural texture in that area until it grows enough where you feel comfortable cutting it.

sterry said:
I am so glad this topic came up.

Please help.
I am going to invest in a Maxiglide, but I had some questions.

I have natural 4b type hair. You know the kind that occasionally breaks a comb.
No chemicals at all.
Will the Maxiglide straighten my hair?
Do I have to blow dry it first?
Thank you really looking for some help

I have 4a coarse hair, and I blowdry first. Basically I go thru small sections with my denman brush, then hold the ends with my fingers and move the blow dryer up and down the section. This way no damage from combing/brushing. Then I only do one pass with the maxiglide set on 4. It gives me a professional looking press.

caligirl said:
I have 4a coarse hair, and I blowdry first. Basically I go thru small sections with my denman brush, then hold the ends with my fingers and move the blow dryer up and down the section. This way no damage from combing/brushing. Then I only do one pass with the maxiglide set on 4. It gives me a professional looking press.

Thank you.
So it sounds as if the Maxiglide really works.
I am going to get the Maxiglide mini bonus.....It contains the large Maxiglide and the Mini Maxiglide for $99.00 with free shipping. That's a deal!

Bublnbrnsuga said:
What's a good heat protectant?

Yeah I would like to know too..I remember when I used to get my hair done in Baltimore they used some type of protectant from Biosilk...good stuff. But when I went to purchase it on my own the price was ridiculous so I said nevermind :ohwell:

I only use heat to track my progress and that is not often because it takes me so long to do my whole head. When I Maxiglide, I do not use the device higher than 5. Any higher for me and I hear scary sizzling sounds and things start to smell like Waffles...not good. I also always use a heat protectant when I go over my hair the first time. Then I add some oil (which helps straighten my hair) and go over it again for a smooth, straight look. After a few days, my hair will start to get puffy.....then, a good wash will bring it almost completely back to normal. Its fully normal after a couple washes though. I would say if I Maxiglided on a Saturday....wore it straight untill Wednesday and then washed it Wed, Thur, and Fri....my hair should be normal by the following Saturday.

Like the others have said...USE A HEAT PROTECTANT....otherwise give it time to revert. If it takes longer than a few weeks then you may have a problem. Also consider not having the setting as high as you had it because that thing gets HOT!

well i am not gonna cut that section of my hair off..i think it is damaged for good..but i will see for sure when i take these braids down next month, and after a few treatments..i am hoping it will revert..........lemme see if i can show yall a pic..

here are a few pics of my maxi glided hair...
000_0387-vi.jpg

000_0390-th.jpg

000_0391-th.jpg

well there it is..i tell ya..when i take out these dag berrnit braids and my hair is still strait..and i have tried everything....i will keep it in braids and weves for like 2 friggin yrs..and then i will get a mild relaxer..i am so friggin pissed

edited to say, please go to my fotki album..from relaxed to natural..the other pics are not showing up...

Last edited:
asummertyme said:
here are a few pics of my maxi glided hair...
000_0387-vi.jpg

000_0390-th.jpg

000_0391-th.jpg

well there it is..i tell ya..when i take out these dag berrnit braids and my hair is still strait..and i have tried everything....i will keep it in braids and weves for like 2 friggin yrs..and then i will get a mild relaxer..i am so friggin pissed..
...sorry to hear about your hair. I hope it normalizes and isn't permanently damaged. I definitely would go with the ladies suggestions of protein treatments (and possibly MTG - that sulfur should help the bonds out -- I'm guessing).

P.S. I can't see your pics

Back