Unlocked Locs PICS!

• Thread starter Thread starter patient1
  • Start date Start date
P

patient1

I was talking to my younger sister about the discussion on lhcf about unlocing locs, etc.

Well, as it turns out, she shared that she has begun removing her 9+ year old locs.

She's undone one row in the very back and has given permission to take pics of her transformation along the way.

Instead of having to track down the honeychild pics on nappturality, you can see it for yourself here.

I can't tell how long her stretched hair will be, but it looks like it'll be about armpit length. She has no plans to relax or press either. Doesn't want to risk heat damage. Her plans are to rock a funky, chunky fro or whatever her hair cares to do.

I'll be posting the pics in my yahoo album. Just waiting for them to upload.

p1

eta: Here's the link
MY SISTER'S UNLOCED LOCS:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/urbania72/detail?.dir=fae1&.dnm=7184scd.jpg&.src=ph

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I'm not sure I've seen anyone unlock 10 year old locs. I'm sure it will be fun for her to play in her long loose hair after being loced so long. Her locs were very pretty though.

Off topic: I think your photos are great. You hair, and you, are very pretty. :D

YAYYYY!!! Thanks for thinking about us girl! :clap: I heard it could be done, but never actually had the privilege to see it! You just don't know how long I've waited to see this!!! :clap:

Hi ALL,

The link should work. She said it takes about 30 minutes per loc and that's only using water while in the shower. She had a total of 118 locs on her head (her students counted them), so if she does one per day she should be done in 3-4 months. I'm sure she'll go through them quicker then that though. If she's nice to me, maybe I'll donate some time to help her. That's not likely to happen though (her being nice that is!)

THANKS CHELEIGH! I feel so special! LOL!

p1

Yea it can be done. My brother took his dreds out after 4 years. My cousin tok his out after 8. Both unraveled thiers from the tips. Its a long process but done getly will work. My brother use alot of coniditoner and so did my cousin. It took my brother about a month to get his whole head done (everybody was helping out) and my cousin had his undone in 2 days by my mother and I. Its very possible but sometimes the results can be a lil wied :lol: My cousin retained alot of his hair but had pacthes f different colors form product and we also found 2 ants locked in his hair at the end of 2 of his dreds. My cousin had Bungalow dred (about 10 of them) so his was REALLY easy to take out but my brother had tiny ones.

Sounds familiar Beyond (not the ants though LOL!).

On both my daughters' locs I used lots of conditioner. ON the youngest though, I used an apple cider vinegar solution to loosen the core. It went VERY fast after I stumbled on that idea.

Both of my sisters unraveled 1 - 2 of their locs a couple of years ago after I showed them honeychild's album (on np.com) just so they could see for themselves that it can be done.

I'm gonna miss my sister's locs. She's had them for so long they are her signature look. I'm also JEALOUS as heck that she gets to go straight into being an APL natural.

p1

I had locs for about 4 years I believe and a couple of yrs ago I unraveled them with a safety pin, warm water, tons od Suave condish and time. I had pencil sized locs w/some a little smaller than that). i took me a while cause I did not have time to do it in one sitting (in school at the time) but w/in a 1 week time, I removed most of my locs. It was a little hard cause it was just me -my fingers were sore from gripping the safety pin, but in the end it was worth it cause I retained a lot of hair even though it crazy the amt of hair I parted with.

beyondcute said:
Its very possible but sometimes the results can be a lil wied :lol: My cousin retained alot of his hair but had pacthes f different colors form product and we also found 2 ants locked in his hair at the end of 2 of his dreds.
ACK!! Nice find, lol!!!!

patient1 said:
Sounds familiar Beyond (not the ants though LOL!).

On both my daughters' locs I used lots of conditioner. ON the youngest though, I used an apple cider vinegar solution to loosen the core. It went VERY fast after I stumbled on that idea.

Both of my sisters unraveled 1 - 2 of their locs a couple of years ago after I showed them honeychild's album (on np.com) just so they could see for themselves that it can be done.

I'm gonna miss my sister's locs. She's had them for so long they are her signature look. I'm also JEALOUS as heck that she gets to go straight into being an APL natural.

p1

:love: wow!!! thanks so much for posting this P1! :clap: Now, I'm really considering continuing latchhooking the new growth & keeping my faux locs. s'not like i have time(we have 5mos old and 2 yr old) to be doing twistouts and futzing around with my hair & ish anyways! i'm soo psyched.

how did your sister do her new growth?

Sistaslick said:
YAYYYY!!! Thanks for thinking about us girl! :clap: I heard it could be done, but never actually had the privilege to see it! You just don't know how long I've waited to see this!!! :clap:
Yes me too!! Thanks for posting! Keep us updated!

@kaybeegee:

My sister simply twisted (palms, fingertips) her roots. She didn't latch or anything like that. Her locs are very long and latching would have probably been time consuming.

She didn't have a very complicated routine. She started these locs from the shortest possible hair after growing out a Kojak or skinhead. The last products I saw on her dresser were from herbnlife, oyin, and asha.

She washes her hair, moisturizes, oils and then twists the new growth. No clips or anything. She'd usually dry her hair in big bantu knots to give her hair waves and body. That's about it. I groomed them from her on occasion and I would usually do a apple cider treatment on them. Sometimes I would do a hot oil treatment with olive oil and a touch of honey.

That's about all I can think of. I'm not familiar with faux locs but if they're made out of human hair, I don't see any reason why you can't continue to latch or twist your new growth and either trim the faux part off eventually or just let it blend in with your own hair.

Locs are just very intricate braids and if you have the time and patience you can unlock the puzzle.

hth,

P1

Great thread. Lovely photos.

Thanks for breaking another loc myth for those who aren't totally familiar with locs ... :)

patient1 said:
@kaybeegee:

My sister simply twisted (palms, fingertips) her roots. She didn't latch or anything like that. Her locs are very long and latching would have probably been time consuming.

She didn't have a very complicated routine. She started these locs from the shortest possible hair after growing out a Kojak or skinhead. The last products I saw on her dresser were from herbnlife, oyin, and asha.

She washes her hair, moisturizes, oils and then twists the new growth. No clips or anything. She'd usually dry her hair in big bantu knots to give her hair waves and body. That's about it. I groomed them from her on occasion and I would usually do a apple cider treatment on them. Sometimes I would do a hot oil treatment with olive oil and a touch of honey.

That's about all I can think of. I'm not familiar with faux locs but if they're made out of human hair, I don't see any reason why you can't continue to latch or twist your new growth and either trim the faux part off eventually or just let it blend in with your own hair.

Locs are just very intricate braids and if you have the time and patience you can unlock the puzzle.

hth,

P1
25.gif

P1, Thanks so much!!! & please thank your sis for being an amazing hair inspiration!

THANK YOU TO YOU AND YOUR SISTER FOR SHARING THESE PICS... :)

I know a few people that have unlocked locks, A rastafarian girl i went school with had locks from ages 4- 18 she has unlocked her bra strap locks and now has thick flowing APL natural hair.

BUSTA RHYMES done it a few years ago too:lol: (only the front of hair)
but now he's cut off ALL his locks (end of november) There is a video clip below if anyones interested:

Rapper Busta Rhymes Cuts Dreads After 15 Years
By EbenGregory
Date: 11/26/2005 12:39 pm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After 15 years, Busta Rhymes has officially cut off his long dreadlocks.

Busta Rhymes, born Trevor Smith, cut off his trademark dreadlocks during a recent photo shoot in a
New York barbershop.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
“I started growing these sh--s in December '89. I was 17,” Busta stated. “I signed my [record] deal and said I aint combing my hair no more. I don't have to."
The rapper now sports a short crop Caesar hairstyle.
In an effort to memorialize his transition, the former Leader of The New School member recorded the historic occasion on camera while friends and crew members watched.

The short video clip
features an excited Busta cutting his dreads off one at a time while he talks about the momentous event.

“This is it kid,” Busta exclaimed as he prepared to cut his hair. “I haven’t felt clippers touch the side of my head in 15 years. Y’all gonna see the sexiest head you’ve ever seen in your life when I’m finished.”
Busta remains one of the most original hip-hop artists with his rapid-fire rapping style and innovative videos.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fans will be able to see Busta sports his new hairstyle in the video for “Touch It,” which is set to air in media outlets in the coming weeks.

“Touch It,” produced by Swizz Beats, is the first lead off single for Busta’s new Aftermath/Interscope
album The Big Bang which is expected to hit stores in early 2006.
[/FONT]

I think my hair would probably grow best in locks b/c it gets so tangly. After I finish washing I put my hair in two strand twists and let it air dry. Great results!

Back