Uneven growth....???

MsChelle

Hey Ladies! My hair seems to grow faster on the right side of my head than it does on the left side. My length had gotten so uneven that people thought I actually had it cut that way. So, in December I went and had about 2 inches cut off the right side to make it even with the left.....We are now in March and once again it is visibly uneven. Does anyone have any information as to why this may happen. I am confused :perplexed

Hey Ladies! My hair seems to grow faster on the right side of my head than it does on the left side. My length had gotten so uneven that people thought I actually had it cut that way. So, in December I went and had about 2 inches cut off the right side to make it even with the left.....We are now in March and once again it is visibly uneven. Does anyone have any information as to why this may happen. I am confused :perplexed

I wish I could give you some hope. My hair grows the same way. A lot of women have this problem. One side is a complete different texture than the other. The rough side is the side that grows slow and the smoother textured side grows fast.

It's been like this since I can remember. I stopped trying to even it up and just let it be.

The same thing was happeing to my hair, but once i stop wrapping it at nights my hair started growing even.
I thought that the direction that I was wrapping it in had something to do with it so I started wrapping on the opposite direction and it still does the same thing. And I have noticed that the texture is different on both sides of my head. The longer side seems to be a smoother, silkier texture. Strange......

Same probs here since forever. I was told swith up my wrap, but I had this problem way before I started wrapping also. I did stop wrapping and no change, and then my ends started looking a mess.

had this prob before....wrap your hair in alternate directions or cross wrap...I stopped wrapping altogether to alleviate this problem...I just do pin ups with a clip now :yep:

I have also had this problem. Could it be that your hair is not retaining as much hair on one side then the other? For instance is one side breaking? This was my issue, it seemed that one side of my head needed more moisture then the other.

had this prob before....wrap your hair in alternate directions or cross wrap...I stopped wrapping altogether to alleviate this problem...I just do pin ups with a clip now :yep:
I have tried wrapping in the opposite direction. I think I need to give that a little more time and maybe I will see some results. And forgive me for asking this elementary question.......:perplexed but what is "cross wrapping"? I am a recently reformed hair abuser and I am still learning.

I have also had this problem. Could it be that your hair is not retaining as much hair on one side then the other? For instance is one side breaking? This was my issue, it seemed that one side of my head needed more moisture then the other.
The left side has A LOT of breakage... Especially around my ear.

Which area do you moisturize/put conditioner on first?
I always do around my hairline and the nape of my neck first. The hair in these areas seems to be the driest and break the easiest so I do them first.

This happens to me and the bolded is the only explanation I can think of. :yep:

I wish I could give you some hope. My hair grows the same way. A lot of women have this problem. One side is a complete different texture than the other. The rough side is the side that grows slow and the smoother textured side grows fast.

It's been like this since I can remember. I stopped trying to even it up and just let it be.

I had this issue too.

Faster-growing, longer, and healthier on the right, and shorter on the left.

This is what has helped:
- I stopped 1-direction wrapping altogether. I either cross-wrap or pin curl (flat and barrel style - I do these more often than cross-wrapping because I get more body and flow).
- Massages on the left side.

My left side still grows in slightly weaker and thinner (mostly close to the front), but it is constantly getting thicker and stronger.

I think that once I stop growing and start maintaining my length (and consequently get it completely evened), it will grow evenly, and all be equally healthy.

I thought that the direction that I was wrapping it in had something to do with it so I started wrapping on the opposite direction and it still does the same thing. And I have noticed that the texture is different on both sides of my head. The longer side seems to be a smoother, silkier texture. Strange......

I tried wrapping in the other direction for over a year too. (Before I joined hair boards).

I didn't see an impovement until I stopped wrapping in the circular motion altogether. I think for some women it can put a lot of tension on the hair, and I know for me, helped thin my hair by increasing my shedding though tension on the roots.

I didn't notice a big change until I stopped brushing and coming as often, and stopped wrapping for months. (I was on a braid out and wet bunning kick).

I'm not saying you have to do something that drastic, but I know that for me, that side of my hair was so messed up it just needed SERIOUS R&R to recover.

It's a lot better now and only a smidgen shorter than the right side. :yep:

Hrmmm, I was also on an exclusively ayurveda kick for a while too, I'm sure that helped. I used amla oil and enriched coconut oil, which helped decrease my hair fall and improve my hair elasticity, and shikakai, which helped with the hair fall and to increase thickening too.

I also laid of chemicals (only all-ntural products for a while, and I still use mostly natural products) and switched to a gentler relaxer. If you are relaxed (I assume you likely are if you wrap often), that might be part of it too. I think focusing on your relaxer types very important for relaxed heads, and a relaxer that doesn't work well for you can really just make your hair problems worse.

Some of the relaxers I used (and stopped using for various reasons) while I had this issue were Nairobi, Design Essentials, Silk Elements, Motions (regular lye and Herbal). Generally, I believe they contributed to my shedding, split ends, dandruff, soreness, etc., as well as growth issues and thinness.

Hope all this helps.

This is a very common problem for a lot of people. I don't think that there is anyway to ever control it. It definitely sucks though.

My hair also does that in the back and the sides don't grow as fast as the front.
I thought it was because I slept on those side. I'm starting to give some TLC to my hair and changing old habits so we'll see how it goes

I tried wrapping in the other direction for over a year too. (Before I joined hair boards).

I didn't see an impovement until I stopped wrapping in the circular motion altogether. I think for some women it can put a lot of tension on the hair, and I know for me, helped thin my hair by increasing my shedding though tension on the roots.

I didn't notice a big change until I stopped brushing and coming as often, and stopped wrapping for months. (I was on a braid out and wet bunning kick).

I'm not saying you have to do something that drastic, but I know that for me, that side of my hair was so messed up it just needed SERIOUS R&R to recover.

It's a lot better now and only a smidgen shorter than the right side. :yep:

Hrmmm, I was also on an exclusively ayurveda kick for a while too, I'm sure that helped. I used amla oil and enriched coconut oil, which helped decrease my hair fall and improve my hair elasticity, and shikakai, which helped with the hair fall and to increase thickening too.

I also laid of chemicals (only all-ntural products for a while, and I still use mostly natural products) and switched to a gentler relaxer. If you are relaxed (I assume you likely are if you wrap often), that might be part of it too. I think focusing on your relaxer types very important for relaxed heads, and a relaxer that doesn't work well for you can really just make your hair problems worse.

Some of the relaxers I used (and stopped using for various reasons) while I had this issue were Nairobi, Design Essentials, Silk Elements, Motions (regular lye and Herbal). Generally, I believe they contributed to my shedding, split ends, dandruff, soreness, etc., as well as growth issues and thinness.

Hope all this helps.
You are making some very valid points about wrapping my hair. There have been times when I have taken the wrap down in the middle of the night because I felt tension on my roots and it was making my scalp a bit sore.(i was not tying my scarf super tight so I know that wasn't the issue) Thank you so much! I would have never paid enough attn to that bit of soreness to actually make a change.

I have noticed this as well with my hair. I have one theory. Purse straps, portoflios, computer bags, etc.

I have to be really careful when wearing a bag with straps not to snag my hair. I am even thinking about getting a new phone case because my hair seems to stick to it. It's one of those matte rubber ones.

Actually, in alot of Fotkis I noticed quite a few with a shorter length on the right. It made me wonder if my purse theory could be plausible as most are right handed (and I assume if they are like me, tend to carry bags on the right shoulder).

I have noticed this as well with my hair. I have one theory. Purse straps, portoflios, computer bags, etc.

I have to be really careful when wearing a bag with straps not to snag my hair. I am even thinking about getting a new phone case because my hair seems to stick to it. It's one of those matte rubber ones.

Actually, in alot of Fotkis I noticed quite a few with a shorter length on the right. It made me wonder if my purse theory could be plausible as most are right handed (and I assume if they are like me, tend to carry bags on the right shoulder).
What you are saying is probably a valid point. I have caught my hair on straps to my laptop, purse straps, etc (when my hair was longer). But I am right handed and my hair is shorter on the left. Judging from input that I have gotten so far I think my issue is a combination of the wrapping, lack of moisture and different textures of hair on both sides of my head.

I know this may sound weird but are you right handed? I ask because I used to have this problem when I was a natural head - b4 21 years. It seemed that my left side was shorter. I found that due to the ease, I used to over comb my left side in comparison to the right. Needless to say, I dont do that anymore....

i am left handed and my left side is longer
i will post the pictures when I get home...
I also need a touch up as well
so I am going to see the difference after its touched up

i am left handed and my left side is longer
i will post the pictures when I get home...
I also need a touch up as well
so I am going to see the difference after its touched up

So am I and my left side is fuller and slightly longer....I just thought that's the way it was. I dont wrap my hair or pull it or wear it down much. I also give equal attention to both sides. But I can definitely see the difference when I part my hair down the middle and lay it across my chest.

I haven't wrapped my hair overnight in about 18 months and my hair on the right side grows quicker than the left side.

I just think it's something natural and I am not sure if it's possible to even the growth out.

I currently have that problem. My right side grows longer than the right. My hairdreser does everything she can to save length when she trims, but it's hard.

Back