Ummmm, that was an unpleasant baggying experience

YankeeCandle

:look: :look:

I've been experimenting with wet buns and whole head baggies, and with Aubrey Organics conditioners as DCs and leave-ins.

Rose Mosqueta smelled quite ill-inducing to me (like crushed vitamins and carrots, bleh), so I moved on to my new bottle of Honeysuckle Rose. In the bottle, it smells okay.

Anyway, on Saturday I washed, detangled, applied the Aubrey as a leave-in, bunned with a satin scrunchie as per recent routines, and whole head baggied pretty soon after (like within 10 minutes, because the heater was on blast and I wanted to protect hair from it as well as go to sleep).

A day or two passed.

I would remove the baggy in the shower and for an hour or so before work and after work, to air out my head. During the day, I wore an elegant scarf over my baggy. At night, I also baggied.

I don't quite know how to put this.

I started to notice this...smell.

"What is that?" I'm wondering. Because I bathe frequently and use nice fresh bath and body products.

I remove the baggy (a clear plastic conditioning cap) and:

:shocked: :shocked:

The unpleasant smell was emanating from my hair. I can't even describe it but it was most UNSEEMLY. :ohwell::perplexed

I ran to the shower and began scrubbing at it with the most stripping shampoos in my bathroom, first a VO5 clarifying one, then the ORS Olive and Aloe one, and finally, because that unholy smell was still present, I grabbed some Badedas body wash gel. My dear Badedas knocked out about 90 percent of the smell.

I emerged from the shower, shaken, and stared at the offending baggy. I was so mad at it I didn't even want to wash it out and recycle it as usual.

I slapped some S-curl on my hair and let it air dry for 6 hours before scarfing and going to bed.

No way in HECK was I risking another "situation."

Thing is, I've baggied with damp hair before and it did not produce this NOXIOUS scent. Do you think the Honeysuckle Rose has some ingredient that would make it mildew on the hair or something?

I had that exact experience before the first time I baggied.(actually dh calmy asked me to refrain from baggying ever again since it was disturbing the clean atmosphere in the house..) I used hello hydration conditioner.. I thought that baggying wasn't for me but later realised or at least I think this is what is happening.. you're baggying almost 24/7 your head naturally is sweating and all the sweat combined with the moisture and not being given any air time to dry is causing the .. "funk" so now I realise if I ever baggy it needs to be only a few hours at a time... even though you were "airing your head" i think maybe it wasn't enough time.. also maybe you should try changing the shower cap if you're using the same one..

HTH..

perhaps it was the Aubreys because on the back of the bottle it says to wash out after use!

Glad you nipped the smell in the bud tho!

Could be the scrunchie.

If I bun wet hair with my scrunchie and leave it like that for a time, the scrunchie starts to smell something awful. :nono:

As a fan of baggying it sounds to me that you unintentionally did some serious overkill.

when i wash my hair i let it dry, i moisturize and seal, and i keep it un-baggied at least a few hours a day to let it breath.

i cant imagine baggying on wet hair and then leaving it on for two days straight. :blush: Thank goodness you only had to deal with a smell and not any real bad setbacks like mushy hair etc.

IA with the previous posters. Sounds like damp hair + round the clock baggying + sweaty scalp is bound to = a bit of funkiness.

when i baggy i try to keep my hair dry before hand so that its only slightly moist when i take the baggy off.

hope you have a better experience next time. :look:

I agree, with previous posters. You may have bagged too long and on wet hair. I whole head bag my hair daily, and I tend to leave it on longer during the day when I am lounging around. However, I do not bag freshly wet washed hair, and I do give my hair some air. I don't use a scrunchie when bagged. I use that to secure my bun when bunned for the day. Glad you rid yourself the foul odor.....I would have responded the same way.

on the contrary to what most might think...that stentch is mildew...you may need to do some adjustments. Sorry to hear you've experienced that.
Btw: thats what mildew smells like on hair...its very rank.

Last edited:
Hee heee, thanks for the advice ladies! :)

I was surprised mildew could set in so quickly (within 2 days), but regardless of what it was chemically composed of, I know it can't have been good to baggy on a wet bun and never take out the bun.

This bun thing is driving me nuts more than the baggying. taking out the bun daily and redoing it helps the hair and scalp dry, but then it creates almost as many tangles as a wash-and-go. Hmmph. :ohwell:

Anyway, from now on, I'll let the hair dry before baggying. :look:

Back