Umm...WOW!!!...Clairol Natural Instincts

Hilarious!!

Thanks OP, I have decided to stop coloring my hair b/c I miss my natural color, now that I am nearly 6 months post (last color application), I was thinking about a semi for my colored ends....I'm going to give Clairol a try :yep:

I reviewed this in depth in my Color album. It's good stuff except for the running.

How are you guys dealing with the bleeding?!

I don't color, but loved the post. Thanks for the laugh. I agree, the WG products ain't bad. Some are really light weight, which is good.

Don't sleep on Garnier :yep:

lol... you had me laughing. can we see pics?

I tried to find some before and after. But my hair was really dark before, so you may not be able to see a difference, but at any rate here goes.

Attachments

• Photo_082808_009.jpg
    Photo_082808_009.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo_100508_009.jpg
    Photo_100508_009.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 67
Just wanted to give an update. Today is October 21, 2008 and absolutely no fading, bleeding or whities peeking out. I love this stuff.

And let me add that I have been co-washing every day, DC every weekend and using shampoo. Absoutely no fading at all. It's a miracle.

Can I just say I'm speechless. I went to the BSS to get my monthly bottle of rinse, Soft Sheet Carson whatever in black. They were closed.

I trot over to Walgreens. They seem to be out of all the semi-permanent colors except one. Clairol Natural Instincts....white girl on the box. I keep looking. 20 minutes later, still no Soft Sheen Carson, I pick up the Natural Instincts...midnight black.

I buy it. I read the whole box and all of the instructions. Pay particular attention to the part that says this stuff can cause depigmentation. I know they talking to me cause the model with the shiny black hair on the box is already depigmented.

I get home and put the box on the counter. Wash my hair...again. Condition it....again. Log on the LHCF and do a search of CNI. Everyone who posted except maybe one person, gave it rave and very favorable reviews. I decide to just do it.

I leave it on for about 20 minutes. It clearly said no more than 8 for relaxed hair. We never listen. That's why we ain't on the box...see.:rolleyes:

Anyway I get back in the shower rinse it out, no shampoo. And notice that after a really short time the water was clear. Ummmm...that's different.

I look in the mirror and see my hair not on my shoulders but obediently laying against my back. This would be called detangled. I move my neck around and it all moves together as if it had already been combed neatly back.

WOW....:look: I said WOW:look:

Then I put the tube of conditioner on. Much more than the little packet that SSC includes in their color package. I put on a plastic cap and wait about 3 maybe 4 minutes. I take off the cap and begin to rinse my hair.

WOW...:look:just WOW:look:

My hair is sooooo soft and soooo black. Like a runaway slave at 2am black. (Don't even waste your time pming me) I mean black black. I love it. Absolutely I love it. My hair is soft and shiny like it's never been before.

Ladies, here is my testimony...don't sleep on the Clairol. The box with the white girl is okay with me.

The conditioner is GREAT! I used the Cinnaberry one, but the color is still on my head after months of washing, co-washing, etc. I'm starting to wonder how "temporary" demi-permanent is.

The conditioner is GREAT! I used the Cinnaberry one, but the color is still on my head after months of washing, co-washing, etc. I'm starting to wonder how "temporary" demi-permanent is.

I wonder if they sale the conditoner separately? How is the condition of your hair, have you done a relaxer since?

This appeals to me because my skunk spot is spreading. I hate looking like an older than I am person. How exactly do you use this product?

This appeals to me because my skunk spot is spreading. I hate looking like an older than I am person. How exactly do you use this product?

Yeah I got that Morticia Adams white lightening bolt, no gray anywhere else. :lachen:

I just applied after I had washed and before conditioner. Do not shampoo out. My hair seems to be doing fine. I love it.

Yeah, I like Clairol Natural Instincts and L'Oreal ColorSpa Moisture Actif but both cause depigmentation and if you decide to let the color wash or wear out, your natural hair is a slightly lighter shade than it was before you used the products and in strong light you can see the difference in the new growth and the previously colored hair. The gray is also off in shade. Continued use of either brand will always net beautiful long-lasting results.

EB: Is this Dark & Lovely the SoftSheen/Carson brand you used? I'm using Reviving Colors now because I hated the depigmentation that Clairol and L'Oreal created.

Yeah, I like Clairol Natural Instincts and L'Oreal ColorSpa Moisture Actif but both cause depigmentation and if you decide to let the color wash or wear out, your natural hair is a slightly lighter shade than it was before you used the products and in strong light you can see the difference in the new growth and the previously colored hair. The gray is also off in shade. Continued use of either brand will always net beautiful long-lasting results.

EB: Is this Dark & Lovely the SoftSheen/Carson brand you used? I'm using Reviving Colors now because I hated the depigmentation that Clairol and L'Oreal created.

Yes it was. Now I'm over hear with my mouf open. When I read the box and it talked about depigmentation. I thought it meant my damn skin. Lawd a mercy......this is too funny. You don't told me something. Whew!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just saw this commercial last night and it showed the different shades it takes on after a period of time...

I just might have to try this one!:yep:

hey elizablue

i think you're suppose to wait 48 hours before washing it. natural instincts is a demi color which lasts longer than a semi-which is a more like a rinse i guess.

i am not sure why the black color acts more like permanent than the other colors... nutmeg and egyptian plum will eventually wash out and fade.

i don't have a relaxer, but the box says not to leave on longer than 8 minutes if you do.

if you are natural and you have resitant grey (like me) you can go up to 20 minutes. folks with relaxers should definitely not leave it on that long and follow the box timing.

my hair does not get crunchy either with this patricular brand. i really like it.
I've used the Egyptian Plum before. I forgot all about this. Right now I have a tube of Clairol Beautiful I need to use. I just want to go brown without any red tint. For me, that Egyptian Plum hung on like a CHAMP! I don't recall it fading that much. Whenever I was in the sunlight you could definitely see it.

I may revisit this...so you shampoo'ed and conditioned BEFORE? Maybe that is the key. I may have to do it before and after...I only did it after and my hair was soooo dry it wasn't funny. I love the ColorSpa though but they stopped making it in the color Ebony.

:lachen::lachen:"I leave it on for about 20 minutes. It clearly said no more than 8 for relaxed hair. We never listen. That's why we ain't on the box...see".:rolleyes::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Girl you had me rolling. Will pick up a box this weekend. I have natural hair so I guess I need to follow instructions hu?:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well ladies I could take it no longer. Tonight was week 10 post relaxer. I was a bit afraid of what would happen if I relaxed after using the demi-color.

So I did it. I relaxed and rinsed and I am not under the dryer with my EVOO, ORS Replenishing Pak and Hair Mayonnaise.

I have absolutely no fade in this color. And the only white peaking through is the new growth in my lightening bolt. The texture is very moisturized and so unlike the extra crispiness of when I was using the semi-color.

My hair used to shed like crazy with that color. So it's either this color or the Megatek but I only lost 4 strands with this whole process tonight.

My hair has grown quite a bit, since the last relaxer at which point I cut off about 3 inches. I had just come out of my twists and my ends were damaged.

It looks like I got that back and then some. I'm considering letting my daughter flat iron it just to see what it would look like once. Then again...probably not.

I've been using it for years...in midnight black! That's what i have in my hair in my avatar. I LOVE natural instincts.

Y'all are making me feel better about using this. I got the malaysian cherry. I was going to use it 2 weeks after my relaxer(today). Would that be long enough of a wait?

EDIT: nevermind I read the thread and it was suggested to use this two weeks after a relaxer.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thanks for your post! I had a box of midnight black in my cabinet for months before I was brave enough to put it in my hair.

I was doing some last minute research and came across your thread. You're right, my hair is soft and shiny (not fried and dry) and BLACK like I like it! :yawn:

I just "layered" my hair using the ponytail method yesterday and now I want it back to a blunt cut...Sigh...never satisfied.

At least I'm happy with the color now...:grin:

Here's a before pic and the after is in my siggy, thanks again!!!!

Before Dye (And layering :()

If u can't see the pics, my Fotki Password is: arigatou

Last edited:
lol, I havent even thought about color but now after reading through these posts I want to go out and get some natural instincts too ;). Ive been wanting to dye my hair some crazy color though, in the back of mind. Not crazy to me perse but Ive been thinking about blue. Like how anime charactors are. Either dark blue where you can only tell its blue in the light, or a medium blue...I could just picture my siggy with blue twists instead of black ones ;). I want to try Henna atleast once though to see what all the fuss is about but should that not be my cup of tea I will DEFINATELY try natural instincts.

Back