Umm, maybe heat is better left alone. Read this.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I got this from another site:

Paula Begoun known as the cosmetic cop got this letter from this lady. I thought it was interesting for you all to read.

Dear Paula,
I am African-American and have fine hair that is not too coarse. I use no chemical treatments to straighten my hair nor do I have any color (including highlights) on my hair. I mostly go to the salon to get my hair straightened via pressing, which involves applying heat. Since my hair is long and fine, I was desperate to find any product that would make it look thicker (I know there is nothing out there that can actually thicken hair). I found out about this shampoo from Nioxin, which claims that it would stimulate your scalp and thereby help grow thicker hair. It also instructs [you] not to massage but just to put the shampoo on and rinse it off. I assumed this was because it's not a moisturizing shampoo so it could strip hair. But I ignored that fact and had my stylist massage the shampoo on me(and strands of hair on top of my head fell out!

My stylist simply commented that it could be just stress or lack of proper nutrition, and told me that it was not Nioxin because she has used this shampoo on other people and this didn't happen! Now after all these years of growing my hair (that's why no relaxers, no color treatments), I have a patch of broken hair right in the middle of my head that is so short, it looks like it would take five years for it to reach my desired hair length. At this point, I need your recommendations as to how I should care for my fine, thin hair and also how to make it look thicker. Do you think Nioxin did the damage? If so, that’s strange, because it claims "no side effects," and having a patch of hair missing from my scalp is a definite side effect in my book!

Hilina, via email

Dear Hilina,
Stimulating your scalp won’t cause your hair to grow or thicken, and I’m very certain the Nioxin shampoo didn’t cause your hair to fall out either. The ingredients used in their shampoos and conditioners are no different from those in hundreds of other formulations, and the few unique ingredients they throw in aren’t present in concentrations high enough to have the kind of impact you describe. I suspect it was just bad timing and that the hair loss (actually, hair breakage) you and your stylist noticed was a result of the repeated straightening you have done. Although the pressing process does not involve chemicals, it does involve smoothing hair with extremely high heat and tension. It is this combination of heat and tension that creates the smooth, straight effect.

However, as you witnessed, this process is not without risks, especially on fine, fragile hair like yours. Pressing combs typically have a temperature range of 350°F to 500°F, which is intense heat when you consider that water boils at 212°F! The more resistant your hair is to being straightened (as is true for most African-American hair), the more heat (and tension) is needed to achieve results. What can happen when the pressing comb comes in contact with the hair, especially if you leave it in one place for too long, is that the water inside the hair shaft literally boils, which causes the hair to break or rupture in that area, resulting in patches of frayed, broken strands. It also “burns” away the hair shaft’s protective cuticle layer, exposing the fragile cortex (the inner portion of the hair strand) and making it more vulnerable to damage. And this type of repeated damage to hair adds up quickly.

What to do now? If you’re serious about regrowing your hair and making it stronger, you need to straighten your hair less often or reduce the amount of intense heat that is applied to your hair. Perhaps instead of a completely straight hairstyle, a slightly curly look would work for you, one that would call for less styling torture. Consider washing your hair every few days with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo ($5.99 for 8.45 ounces), and follow with any of the Pantene conditioners for dry hair. For shine without weight or a greasy appearance, consider a light silicone spray and apply sparingly. Queen Helene Shine Spray with Cholesterol ($6.75 for 4 ounces) would be an excellent choice, but remember to apply sparingly.

I also recommend consulting another hairstylist who can show you how to work with and learn to appreciate your hair’s natural texture. Ask him or her to cut off any remaining damage and, if possible, style your hair so that the patchy spots are concealed as you wait for regrowth. As you already know, damaged, broken hair strands take time to grow, so patience and avoiding what caused the breakage in the first place are essential.

Wow! What a sad story. I was making a similar mistake some months ago when I was flat ironing my damp hair. I had no idea I was causing so much damage to my tresses. :nono:

I believe it, hot combs are death for the hair if not handled properly...I called myself using one about a year and a half ago and burned out a small end section of my hair. It was only about an inch to inch and a half long so it was no biggie but still, what if I had done that to my whole head? Anywhoo, I use a ceramic flat iron now (once every few months) because the pressing comb has got to go! I am glad I only tried it once.

Thanks for the information...I will make a note :user: to stay clear away from Pressing combs. :ohwell:

Last edited:
My mom's a natural and she presses every week and she wonders why her ends are permanently straight. She has to clip them every 8 weeks. I just showed this thread to her and she has finally agreed to let me do her hair w/o heat. She is so old school she swears hair is unmanageable w/o heat or a relaxer.

Thinking back to when I was a kid and was sneaking and hot combing my own
hair. Its a wonder I am not bald right now..scary.

I love Paula Begoun, I have every single one of her books.

Mica, which ceramic iron do you use?

Sylver2, who is Paula Begoun anyway? What books does she have out?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Mica, which ceramic iron do you use?

Sylver2, who is Paula Begoun anyway? What books does she have out?

She has worked in the cosmetics and hair industry for 30 years. They call her the cosmetics Cop.
She has books out"Don't go to the cosmetic counter without me"
"Don't go shopping for hair care products without me" The Beauty Bible"
The books give ingredient reviews of every single brand name product and tells you how to take care of your skin and hair. She also has her own line of products which are very good. Because of her book thats how I found precious -NTM deep conditioner, John Frieda serum and prescriptives foundation.
website
www.cosmeticscop.com

see this is why the lady that presses my hair with a stove that has a dial. She rollersets my hair so it's pretty much straight and then uses a comb thats probably set to like 200 tops. Its not bone straight but at least my hair isnt boiled.

I never use direct heat, but reading that made me appreciate the fact that my hooded hair dryer isn't as hot as I wanted it to be.

Excellent info.

Everytime I feel a tiny bit tempted to see how long my hair really is...I pull out a folder of all these little articles and my "Why are Black Women Losing Their Hair" book and I read them.

It only takes one bad experience to lose years of growth and I am not ready to risk it.

Thanks for putting the warning out here on this.

Wow what a story!

I've stayed clear from curling irons, hot combs (all heating appliances for the hair) for over 8 months now and my hair thanks me everyday for it. :)

pookeylou said:
It only takes one bad experience to lose years of growth and I am not ready to risk it.

this is so true. how many of us never recovered from that one messed up hair cut in the seventh grade, or a bad perm job? Growing up I had a friend that used to run a hot comb over her RELAXED hair! No wonder it was so short and thin. But she used lots or grease to make it unbelievably shiny, so thats all that mattered to her.

When I was natural, I only had my hair pressed with a pressing comb twice in 2 years. I refuse to use the comb because it's too hot. I use a flatiron because it doesn't get as hot if you don't turn the heat all the way up.

My mom is a presser, and her hair is permanantely frizzly (it's not frizzy but kind of funny-straight). I told her she shouldn't press and use a curling iron instead, but she's been doing it for over 30 years, she's not stopping.

I stay away from those hot combs or those irons that goes in the stove. They completely melted the middle section in the back of my head and sabotaged my hair growth efforts. If I didn't know about this site I believe I would be bald.

pookeylou said:
Excellent info.

Everytime I feel a tiny bit tempted to see how long my hair really is...I pull out a folder of all these little articles and my "Why are Black Women Losing Their Hair" book and I read them.

My thoughts exactly.:) I've already had that bad experience(s) with hot combs.

Back