Type 4A to 1A!!! My Italian Salon Hair Experience

Seeking8Rights

Okay, so I decided to visit an Italian hair salon today. The salon is across the street from my house and it's called Avant Garde. They boast about doing celebrity hair like Gwen Stephanie and such.

My hair type is 4a and currently 2 weeks post relaxer.

First thing they did was wash my hair with Kerastase Oleo Relax. I think he used the conditioner too. While the conditioner was in my hair he brushed through it with a Denman! I was like :perplexed. Then he rinsed my hair and detangled it again with Denman. I was TERRIFIED! I have never seen that much hair on a brush from my head before. So, I'm panicing, but still being diplomatic. After all Italian stylist study hair for 4 years before getting licensed.

Once detangled, he began straightening my hair with a round brush and blow dryer. He didn't use any serum, product or anything, just blow dryed and brushed.

When done, I swear I felt my hair and it was like Jennifer Aniston straight and smooth! He ran through it once with a flat iron.

He then asked, you need layers, it's much better and your hair will have a curve shape instead of flat.

So, I said okay sure! He began layering it. During this process, I started to cry, not because I didn't like it but because I felt like I was doing something wrong. Like, I'm used to my hair being thick with a slight kink even after relaxing.

And the sinful part about it was that I loved feeling the heat from the blow dryer on my head!!!! :look: I haven't had heat against my hair like that in a grip!

Needless to say, it's a sin to be black and hair hair like this. But, if it's wrong......I don't want to be right!!!!! :grin::grin: And of course, I made an appointment to go back in 2 weeks. :grin:

Here's pictures:

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Looks good...I would be weary about going back every 2 weeks though.:nono:

Heat + our hair = no good.

AND YOU KNOW LHCF rules! "No brushing on wet hair or at all!"

If he can work with a few changes...then maybe.:look:

I looks very pretty:yep:

Be careful, I think it will make more damage than good to the health of you hair if you keep doing this :Run::takecover: JMO

Oh its gorgeous! I don't think that I would go every two weeks if he won't do something about all of the hair in brush though.

Beautiful hair! But I agree with the other ladies, you run the risk of really thinning and possibly damaging your hair in the long run. The cut is great though, and it's so hard to find a stylist who will cut without cutting more than necessary. I would definitely go about every 3 months for a good trim. Just be careful.:yep:

Its gorgeous to me! I don't know if I would go every 2 weeks because of the amount of heat that was being used but I don't believe that every month or so would be harmful.....

I love it!! Smooth and silky! If your hair can handle the heat I say go for it but if not every month or so wouldnt be bad

Ur hair looks beautiful...Ooohh La..La but I wouldnt go every 2 weeks... It could be damaging in the long run....maybe once a month if that or close to retouch time

Last edited:
Your hair turned out gorgeous! Are you gonna make this a regular thang?

I've been really debating it. My hubbie was like "now are you sure your going to go every 2 weeks, because let one thing go wrong and your gonna burn that place down."

It was definately a treat that I would love, love, love to have often, but I think I will agree with some of the others and go maybe once a month. I just want my hair like this ALL the time.

Looks good...I would be weary about going back every 2 weeks though.:nono:

Heat + our hair = no good.

AND YOU KNOW LHCF rules! "No brushing on wet hair or at all!"

If he can work with a few changes...then maybe.:look:

I agree.
As a 4a/b that constant direct heat plus blow drying and that detangling process is not good. It's a sad but true fact that our hair is weaker (more prone to breakage) than certain other hair types.

I actually get my hair cuts at white salons mostly and the detangling process/combing of wet hair is BRUTAL, you lose a lot of hair! The only time I didn't have that experience was when I stalked down JLo's colorist (Rita Hazan) back when I wanted blond highlights. She was really gentle with my hair and the stylist who blow dried my hair was an Asian guy that instantly knew my hair was relaxed, asked me if I wrap my hair, asked me what my regimen wa. I still go back to him for cuts.

**Takes a deep breath**

I must be the lone voice of descent. I wanted to scream NO!! when you described his technique:nono: He did not cut your hair well and severely thinned it. I say this after reviewing your gorgeous Fotki pics from 7/15/07.

I BEG you to not go back:cry2: This post is not to flame you, but warn my LHCF sista from disaster:kiss:

**Takes a deep breath**

I must be the lone voice of descent. I wanted to scream NO!! when you described his technique:nono: He did not cut your hair well and severely thinned it. I say this after reviewing your gorgeous Fotki pics from 7/15/07.

I BEG you to not go back:cry2: This post is not to flame you, but warn my LHCF sista from disaster:kiss:

In what way do you think he thinned it? It was definately thin afterwards, but that was due to how he blow dryed it, but not as a result of cutting.

Also what makes you think he didn't cut well?

Just curious to know?

I don't take flame to your post, as I know everyone has a right to their opinions and I prefer ALL feedback not just the good ones. So, thank you for being honest. :kiss:

In what way do you think he thinned it? It was definately thin afterwards, but that was due to how he blow dryed it, but not as a result of cutting.

Also what makes you think he didn't cut well?

Just curious to know?

I don't take flame to your post, as I know everyone has a right to their opinions and I prefer ALL feedback not just the good ones. So, thank you for being honest. :kiss:

I'll PM you:wink2:

Your hair looks gorgeous just be careful that this new stylist does not set back all the hard work you have done to get where you are - Keep in mind you went to him with healthy beautiful hair so it can withstand a certain amount of abuse but if you keep it up your hair may eventually suffer....

Your hair is beautiful! And how comes you get to travel so much?!Are you or your husband in the military or something?

Last edited:
Back