Twistout Question: Prepping for the Untwist, etc.

PaperClip

I've discovered the twist/twistout this week! (I'm evolving!:)) I'd like to get some photos up soon. I have a couple of questions:

1. How to get the roots smooth with regard to technique. It smooths down pretty well with water/conditioner mix.

2. What to use to unravel or untwist the twists? Maybe something for shine/reduce frizz/protect from the elements.

3. How to manage twists for sleep? Should I spritz before bed?

I am slightly concerned about my hair because it seems that there's a bit of breakage/shedding occuring and I'm not sure why. I'd been wearing a phony puff for a minute....

Thank you in advance and please advise with helpful hints/tips.

RelaxerRehab said:
I've discovered the twist/twistout this week! (I'm evolving!:)) I'd like to get some photos up soon. I have a couple of questions:

1. How to get the roots smooth with regard to technique. It smooths down pretty well with water/conditioner mix.

2. What to use to unravel or untwist the twists? Maybe something for shine/reduce frizz/protect from the elements.

I am slightly concerned about my hair because it seems that there's a bit of breakage/shedding occuring and I'm not sure why. I'd been wearing a phony puff for a minute....

Thank you in advance and please advise with helpful hints/tips.

to get the roots right i usually flat twist the top part of my head

to unravel i usually oil or grease yes grease my ends

for bed i wouldnt spritz w/ water because that will cause you to loose definition and will cause shrinkage or at least it does in my case i can usually get 2-3days covering it w/ a scarf

twistouts are not good for me to wear often because it seems to cause tangling and excessive shedding aka breakage

Good questions. I was a pro at twistouts with relaxed hair. Now with this TWA, I can't get a second day out of them.

Before untwisting your hair, lightly moisturize or oil your twists at night, and then unravel them in the morning.

Most of the time, I use nothing at all. But occassionally, I put African Royale Hot 6 Oil on my fingers and unravel away. This oil does all that... give shine, reduce frizz, and protects my hair from drying out.

I just sleep on a pillowcase with my hair out. Sometimes I pull all the twists back away from my face and apply a scarf around the front of my hair for bed, and then fluff the twists into place in the morning. I don't spritz at all and wouldn't recommend it even though I know some ladies do, mainly because I feel that would mess up my twists (make them shrink or stick out in awkward ways).

The stress from the phony puff is more than likely the culprit of your breakage and shedding. Give your hair a break from that thing.

Another helpful tip for twistouts... if you want a more defined longer lasting twistout, wear the twists for 1-2 weeks and then unravel. Also, doing smaller twists helps define the twistout more.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your twists and twistouts! I LOVE THEM! :)

Back