Twistout/Braidout Failures

douglala

Just wondering if anyone had a setbacks in doing twistout/braidouts consistently for a period of time. Especially all those who did the Summer Twistout/Braidout Challenge. How was the condition of your hair after doing the twistout regularly? Was it to much manipulation on the hair? I plan on doing it consistently for the next 2 months but dont want it be a setback for me.

I never had any problems with either style. I really liked getting a "3 for 1" deal... wearing the flat twists or braids for 3-4 days, then unraveling to wear in loose waves/crimps for a few days, then pulling the hair back & wear in a bun for about a week.
cool.gif

The key (for me) is to make sure that the hair is fully detangled, fully straight when braiding/twisting. This way it will dry detangled, especially if u plan to get a week or so out of this style.

Just keep in mind that re-braiding/re-twisting will cause the most damage if ur not EXTREMELY careful. Keep the hair as detangled as possible & u should be ok
cool.gif
Oh another thing, NO COMBING!!! This is why it's so important to keep the hair from tangling to begin with.

Thanks Peachtree. Just wanted to let you know that you twistout pics were what helped me finally do a successful twistout. I did realize that the reason my twistouts did not look as sleek as they could was b/c my hair was not completely straight before twisting. How do you manage to keep the hair straight while you are twisting it. Even if I comb it out completely once I start twisting I cannot manage to get it into the twist smoothly. Any tips on technique for me?

I do braidouts regularly. I find them easier to work with than twists. With braidouts, you can stop mid-braid and recomb it. The way I make mine "straight" is by using a fine tooth bone comb to gently comb through it. If I catch a tangle as I'm braiding, I stop mid-braid and recomb it. Also using leave-in conditioner helps the comb to pull right through. I usually put the last inch or so in a perm rod and with braidouts, it's easier to just stop and then roll. Whereas with twistouts, if I stop, it begins to unravel.

I don't always redo my braidouts. The ends stay curly and the length stays wavy. At night, I'll just clip it up on top of my head.

If I do re-do my braidouts, I spray the length with a leave-in conditioner mixture and lightly comb it with my wide-tooth bone comb. Then repeat the process above.

Btw - I only do three big braids b/c I always pull it back into a barrette with the length up.

I keep the strands straight by gently smoothing with my fingers as I go along.... this goes for both my braid & twist outs. It's sorta like this.... pick up scalp hair, twist, smooth, pick up scalp hair, twist, smooth, repeat.

If I'm rushing, then more like .... 4 repetitions of pick up scalp hair, twist, then smooth. It works like a charm with absolutely no tangles
cool.gif

By the way, I'm happy that my pics were useful
cool.gif

Hairlove - Thanks for the tip.

Peachtree - I am not really understanding the 'smooth' step. You pick up a piece of hair, twist, then what part do you smooth? The rest of the length of the piece you twisted? Or the piece that is in the twist? TIA.

Oops, sorry, shoulda' been more clear
fishslap.gif

Yes, u had it right... the rest of the length hanging from the strand that I twisted. It's basically the same method that Hairlove described (with using a bone comb), however, I use my fingers instead of a comb to smooth (aka straighten, detangle).
cool.gif

I was a summer challenge person. I started my mostly twist outs around the end May I think. I'm at present, able to say I wasn't satisfied with it. Too much manipulation for my hair. It might have been because of my technique. My hair would pop when I was learning how to do the 2 strand flat twist (braidouts might have done better). Whenever I had to redo my hair, from experience, it was best to rinse (conditioner wash) my hair to free it up from the tangles. This is the same experience I had, way back in my pre LHCF days, when I would occasionally wear straw set styles. I also noticed that I ended up with little knots on my individual strands the same thing as with straw sets. Unlike Peachtree, in the end I was twisting for overnight sets and wearing it loose for 3-4 days, then repeating the process. I think for the way I was wearing it out I should have used this style as I did with straw set which was to wear it occasionally. I am presently under the care of a dermatologist because my hair has been shedding for a long time. It might be safe to say since I started twistout. I'm not officially saying it was the demise of my hair yet I'm ruling out other things 1st through my dermatologist. My warning to you is if you find your hair is breaking or shedding more than before once you start your journey into twistout this style or your ends are suffering, this may not be for you no matter how pretty it looks (mine was the bomb) find something else like a bun to avoid possible abuse of your hair. Everyones hair, scalp and technique aren't the same what works for one may not work for another. HTH!

Thanks for posting this I had forgotten to put this in the mix when I went to the dermatologist.

I let my motto below drive me through the summer challenge.
frown.gif

I've never worn the twist-out, however, I wear the braid-out style 95% of the time. I comb my hair out in the shower and use a spray moisturizer, I prefer Dew and Hawaiian Silky Moisturizing and Conditioning spray, then a creme moisturizer, I prefer Elasta QP, then I use ISO Bouncy Creme for body, shine and to control frizzes. Since my hair is now 22 inches long, I can braid it in 4-5 large braids. I put castor oil on the end and twist them between my fingers to seal the end. The next day I undo the braids, separate the hair, spray moisturizer and I'm good to go. My hair is manageable wavy and shiny, it's really pretty this way. At night I moisturize again, loosely pin it at the top of my head and wear a nylon cap to bed. The next day it's actually better looking because the waves are now looser. I can get 3-4 good days out of this. I never comb my hair when I braid-out and on the 4th day I start all over again. I contribute this particular style to the success of my hair growth because there is no heat involved and my hair is well moisturized everyday. It took some time for me to perfect the combination of products that would give the results I wanted. You might have to experiment also to find what works for you. I hope your failures turn into successes.

Spagirl is so right, mine was very pretty, even made my face look pretty -- but the breakage was too much. My mom and b/f keep asking when am I doing it again coz it looked so good but I can't risk all that hair. I may do one for my office xmas party though.

Yes I lose the most hair when I do the twistouts after a wash compared to any other style(rollerset, bun). A I lose more hair when washing out the style. That is a concern for me. It is not that bad (for ex. 18 hairs compared to 8). Plus I do not want this style to cause split ends b/c of all the twisting/manipulation. So I will definatly pay close attention.

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I was a summer challenge person. I started my mostly twist outs around the end May I think. I'm at present, able to say I wasn't satisfied with it. Too much manipulation for my hair. It might have been because of my technique. My hair would pop when I was learning how to do the 2 strand flat twist (braidouts might have done better). Whenever I had to redo my hair, from experience, it was best to rinse (conditioner wash) my hair to free it up from the tangles. This is the same experience I had, way back in my pre LHCF days, when I would occasionally wear straw set styles. I also noticed that I ended up with little knots on my individual strands the same thing as with straw sets. Unlike Peachtree, in the end I was twisting for overnight sets and wearing it loose for 3-4 days, then repeating the process. I think for the way I was wearing it out I should have used this style as I did with straw set which was to wear it occasionally. I am presently under the care of a dermatologist because my hair has been shedding for a long time. It might be safe to say since I started twistout. I'm not officially saying it was the demise of my hair yet I'm ruling out other things 1st through my dermatologist. My warning to you is if you find your hair is breaking or shedding more than before once you start your journey into twistout this style or your ends are suffering, this may not be for you no matter how pretty it looks (mine was the bomb) find something else like a bun to avoid possible abuse of your hair. Everyones hair, scalp and technique aren't the same what works for one may not work for another. HTH!

Thanks for posting this I had forgotten to put this in the mix when I went to the dermatologist.

I let my motto below drive me through the summer challenge.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The motto I was referring to was:

If at 1st you don't succeed, try, try again.

Can anyone tell me why am I not able to see the braid out pics? I am trying to get the do's and don'ts so I can try the style tonight after I wash my hair. I want to see what the finished product should look like.

Back