Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 2

I am in I have been perm free since 2004, however the use of heat products has caught up with me. Now I am back to basics and with a lot of TLC and patience I hope to get my hair back on track. I have been doing double strand twists for the last three weeks and I am happy with the look and rest it is giving my hair. Unfortunately the front of my hair is too damaged from heat and it will not revert back to its curl pattern, but that is nothing that rod curlers cannot solve. I will cut one- half inch from the front every 3 months.

My regimen is as follows:
- Once a week I wash with Diluted Vatika Shampoo
- I deep condition with a homemade henna protein mask (henna powder,
one cup of brewed shikakai tea, one egg, 1 cup of yogurt, 2 tablespoons
of honey, one tablespoon of AVC, and 1/4 cup of avocado oil) this
preparation will last for two applications - freeze what you do not use
I live the mask on for two hours - under a conditioning cap
- I rinse completely with lukewarm water and I follow it with Prosys
Well-Being Conditioner (contains algae and grain), I part my hair in
four sections and braid loosely - and dip my ends in Avocado Oil - I put
on my conditioning cap and go to sleep
- Upon waking up - I rinse my hair of the conditioner and while my hair is
still saturated, I spray in Salerm BioMarine Tratamiento Acondicionador
Triple Activo (contains algae extracts), I follow this with my vegetable
glycerine-avocado oil-water solution, and finally I rub amla-coconut oil
on my ends
- I twist my hair up with Pure African Shea butter
- for daily maintenance I spray in the Salerm leave-in and every two days
apply a light oil to my ends.
- during my daily shower I mist the twist with water so they will up again
- I sleep with a satin scarf.

Your twist looks nice. I believe all of us is going to reach our goal when August comes.

What happened to cause your back to matte up? Was it caused from your coat/scarf? What do you plan on DCing with?

Well, the older my twist get they start to loosen at the roots. Going to weeks was definately pushing it. I deep condition with Mixed Chicks. I'll put my twist back in sometime this weekend.

My twists are a week old now and are so ready for replacing. They never last more than a week, sigh... Will start replacing them today, and report back in the next few days...

What happened to cause your back to matte up? Was it caused from your coat/scarf? What do you plan on DCing with?

Well, the older my twist get they start to loosen at the roots. Going to weeks was definately pushing it. I deep condition with Mixed Chicks. I'll put my twist back in sometime this weekend.

Do you ever redo your twist as they start to loosen? I know a lot of people that redo their twist so that the style will last longer.

My twists are a week old now and are so ready for replacing. They never last more than a week, sigh... Will start replacing them today, and report back in the next few days...

Yeah..I put in a small set on Wed night and "TRYING" to make them last for 2wks. We'll see how that goes..LOL

My starting pic is in my fotki under 2009. I am most interested in keeping my hair healthy right now. I was getting lots of breakage on the ends from wearing it loose. I will continue to update in my 2009 album.

http://public.fotki.com/Ms-Lala/

Last edited:
Well, this was the first week of my swimming regimen (3x a week), and I'll have to start re-twisting my hair weekly. I was hoping to keep my every two weeks schedule, but while my hair looks ok, it definitely won't last another week. It's probably for the best, because I have to baby my hair something special due to the cholorine. I used your suggestions, ooop2, and put cheapie condish on before I go in to saturate the hair, then right when I get out I co-wash and moisturize. My hair has held up well now that I think about it :rolleyes:. Surprisingly, I just discovered that I can pull most of my twists comfortably into a ponytail :grin: (the front and some of the sides still need a little help). I didn't even know my hair could go into a ponytail! Twisting tomorrow after I swim, DC (maybe sit in the steam room the gym with it in, lol:lick:), and wash.

Oooh PJ814, congrats on the ponytail! Can't wait till I can do that!

The one thing I really I'm considering rejoining my gym about is the steam room. Need to think about it, lol! Might try swimming too....

I re-did my twists..... but with braids oops! I hopt this is okay to keep on the challenge. I hope they last me weeks rather than just one week like twists. They definitely will take longer to take down, but putting in didn't take that long..... 5 hours including previous twist take down and finger detangling.

My starting pic is in my fotki under 2009. I am most interested in keeping my hair healthy right now. I was getting lots of breakage on the ends from wearing it loose. I will continue to update in my 2009 album. pw is nappy08

http://public.fotki.com/Ms-Lala/

I'll continue to check your album. I was also getting a lot of breakage/split ends and decided to give myself a good trim. I also think that I can attribute most of my knots/split to wearing a lot of WnG styles and not maintaining enough moisture on my ends.

Well, this was the first week of my swimming regimen (3x a week), and I'll have to start re-twisting my hair weekly. I was hoping to keep my every two weeks schedule, but while my hair looks ok, it definitely won't last another week. It's probably for the best, because I have to baby my hair something special due to the cholorine. I used your suggestions, ooop2, and put cheapie condish on before I go in to saturate the hair, then right when I get out I co-wash and moisturize. My hair has held up well now that I think about it :rolleyes:. Surprisingly, I just discovered that I can pull most of my twists comfortably into a ponytail :grin: (the front and some of the sides still need a little help). I didn't even know my hair could go into a ponytail! Twisting tomorrow after I swim, DC (maybe sit in the steam room the gym with it in, lol:lick:), and wash.

Glad to hear that the stocking cap is kinda working. Would be nice to discover something that would eliminate the frizz when hair gets wet..But I know that that is wishful thinking. Kudos on your discovery :grin:

I re-did my twists..... but with braids oops! I hopt this is okay to keep on the challenge. I hope they last me weeks rather than just one week like twists. They definitely will take longer to take down, but putting in didn't take that long..... 5 hours including previous twist take down and finger detangling.

No prob...Hope you are able to maintain this style longer :yep:

I wish I could help. You probably can try to mix it up some. Flat twist the front and two strand the back.

I finally did some presentable twists. The must look nice because my boo liked them and he hates my twists because the normally look undone, lol. I will post pictures later today.

I finally did some presentable twists. The must look nice because my boo liked them and he hates my twists because the normally look undone, lol. I will post pictures later today.

Can't wait to see. Glad your boo likes your twist ;)

YAY! I'm still hanging in there! I got my best twists so far this week end. I used shea butter and JFM 2 in 1 detangling conditioner. That mix just made it so easy to grab and twist without a problem. :yay:In fact, it gave me the softest most moisturized hair, even after my hair dried.:yep: It took me only 30 minutes to twist my hair instead of the normal 2 hour hassle!:nono: This is a big deal for me because it cuts down my tender head problem and carpal tunnel problem. I think I'll look into more of the JFM products.:yep:

I am in I have been perm free since 2004, however the use of heat products has caught up with me. Now I am back to basics and with a lot of TLC and patience I hope to get my hair back on track. I have been doing double strand twists for the last three weeks and I am happy with the look and rest it is giving my hair. Unfortunately the front of my hair is too damaged from heat and it will not revert back to its curl pattern, but that is nothing that rod curlers cannot solve. I will cut one- half inch from the front every 3 months.

My regimen is as follows:
- Once a week I wash with Diluted Vatika Shampoo
- I deep condition with a homemade henna protein mask (henna powder,
one cup of brewed shikakai tea, one egg, 1 cup of yogurt, 2 tablespoons
of honey, one tablespoon of AVC, and 1/4 cup of avocado oil) this
preparation will last for two applications - freeze what you do not use
I leave the mask on for two hours - under a conditioning cap
- I rinse completely with lukewarm water and I follow it with Prosys
Well-Being Conditioner (contains algae and grain), I part my hair in
four sections and braid loosely - and dip my ends in Avocado Oil - I put
on my conditioning cap and go to sleep
- Upon waking up - I rinse my hair of the conditioner and while my hair is
still saturated, I spray in Salerm BioMarine Tratamiento Acondicionador
Triple Activo (contains algae extracts), I follow this with my vegetable
glycerine-avocado oil-water solution, and finally I rub amla-coconut oil
on my ends
- I twist my hair up with Pure African Shea butter
- for daily maintenance I spray in the Salerm leave-in and every two days
apply a light oil to my ends.
- during my daily shower I mist the twist with water so they will up again
- I sleep with a satin scarf.

I changed up my regime slightly. I used baking soda (1 and1/2 tablespoons to 1 cup of water) to shampoo my hair. After I completed my henna protein mask and my deep condition, I did a final rinse with Apple Cider. Vinegar (4 tablespoons to 2 cups of water). This has been a good week for my hair. See pictures.

Attachments

• DETANGLED FRO 03.01.2009.jpg
    DETANGLED FRO 03.01.2009.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DETANGLED FRO-SIDE 03.01.2009.jpg
    DETANGLED FRO-SIDE 03.01.2009.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 19
  • TWIST-OUT 03.01.2009.jpg
    TWIST-OUT 03.01.2009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 29
  • MORE TWIST-OUT 03.01.2009.jpg
    MORE TWIST-OUT 03.01.2009.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 23
  • FRESH TWISTS 03.01.2009.jpg
    FRESH TWISTS 03.01.2009.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 38
These are pics of my latest twists, I will admit these are my best twist to date.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Very nice...What did you use to curl the ends.

Update of me:

Hair has been in small twist for 1 week. They still look and feel great, so I am going to leave them alone. Not even going to wash them at this point. Will do that once scalp starts screaming at me.

But check out my SHRINKAGE!!!

IMG_3799.jpg

Freshly moisturized hair

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

Dry hair this morning

IMG_3807.jpg

It's hilarious how everyone keeps asking me if I got a hair cut. I have to pull on my twist to show them my true length...LOL

Oooop2 your twists are nice, i have to use those gray rods on the twists on the front because that hair doesn't curl up the rest i just curl around my finger. I'm hoping i can keep these for at least a week.

Oooop2 your twists are nice, i have to use those gray rods on the twists on the front because that hair doesn't curl up the rest i just curl around my finger. I'm hoping i can keep these for at least a week.

My hair in the front does not curl in the front either, part of the reason is the heat that I have used and the other part is my hair is too soft and fine in the front. Is it the same for you?

I am interested in this but Im really new and Im trying to create a new regimen. I would like to know what kind of results you got the first time you tried this

My hair in the front does not curl in the front either, part of the reason is the heat that I have used and the other part is my hair is too soft and fine in the front. Is it the same for you?

Yep those are the exact reasons why. When i was transitioning I flat ironed ALOT and even the part of my hair that isn't heat damaged is wavy and not coily.

Yep those are the exact reasons why. When i was transitioning I flat ironed ALOT and even the part of my hair that isn't heat damaged is wavy and not coily.

Me too! I thought I was crazy, when I first noticed that my hairy waved and did not coil. I learned a lesson that heat played a huge roll in me not retaining my length. Now that I am getting really serious about my hair care, I have put my elchim blowdryer and chi flat iron in the closet.

Back