TWIST OUT/AIR DRYING GONE WRONG- HELP!!!

jamoca5

Okay, so last night, I washed my hair using the Tightly Curly method on tightlycurly.com. Everything was all good until I decided that I was going to stretch/airdry my (still wet and full of conditioner) hair by separating it into sections, detangling it, and then putting it into two strand twists. I'm only about 7 months post in my transitioning journey, so I still have quite a lot of relaxed hair on my head. When I was twisting, I noticed that only the hanging, relaxed parts were the ones that wanted to get twisted, and not the new growth, but I paid it no mind. Afterwards, I put a satin cap on my head for the rest of the night, and let it dry.

I just twisted out my hair this afternoon and it looks A MESS. They didn't come out the way I wished they would, and all of the natural hair is just sitting on top of my head, undefined (I think this is the dreaded "matted" hair). Granted, there aren't that many tangles, but it still looks jacked up. What did I do wrong? And more importantly, how can I fix this without damaging my hair (i.e. putting a flat iron through it)?

There are some pictures I have to show the extent of this mess. I will warn you, it's not pretty. And sorry for the crappy cell phone camera quality. It's all I could find

Attachments

• 1sadhair_ash.jpg
    1sadhair_ash.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 2saidhair_ash.jpg
    2saidhair_ash.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100
  • 3sadhair_ash.jpg
    3sadhair_ash.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 4sadhair_ash.jpg
    4sadhair_ash.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 127
Okay, so last night, I washed my hair using the Tightly Curly method on tightlycurly.com. Everything was all good until I decided that I was going to stretch/airdry my (still wet and full of conditioner) hair by separating it into sections, detangling it, and then putting it into two strand twists. I'm only about 7 months post in my transitioning journey, so I still have quite a lot of relaxed hair on my head. When I was twisting, I noticed that only the hanging, relaxed parts were the ones that wanted to get twisted, and not the new growth, but I paid it no mind. Afterwards, I put a satin cap on my head for the rest of the night, and let it dry.

I just twisted out my hair this afternoon and it looks A MESS. They didn't come out the way I wished they would, and all of the natural hair is just sitting on top of my head, undefined (I think this is the dreaded "matted" hair). Granted, there aren't that many tangles, but it still looks jacked up. What did I do wrong? And more importantly, how can I fix this without damaging my hair (i.e. putting a flat iron through it)?

There are some pictures I have to show the extent of this mess. I will warn you, it's not pretty. And sorry for the crappy cell phone camera quality. It's all I could find

You haven't grown out your relaxer enough, it will look better if you BC.

Congrats on your decision to transition.

Try braid outs. They tend to "hold" better on relaxed hair. Also for those pesky relaxed ends: A small roller or pincurl to the ends of your braids.

Did you do single 2 strand twists? I usually do flat twists and make sure my hair (new growth and relaxed ends) is thoroughly detangled so I can flat twist/cornrow all of my hair.

I'll suggest - airdrying in at least 2 ponytails to stretch out your new growth, for a while before twisting/braiding. Or you could do what I tried over the weekend, lightly blow dry your hair using the tension method (i.e. stretch out your hair and run the blow dry up and down the length of your hair in small sections) before braiding/twisting... Also make sure you curl your ends - rollers, flexirods, bantu knots, etc

Flat twisting tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI

Don't give up, you'll see an improvement your next try :yep:

I say follow what MummysGirl said... as well as just don't give up. My first twist out was a dissaster as well. Now, after a few more tries, I wear my hair in a twist out most days.

lol, my first twist out didn't look much better, but now that is the style I wear 99% of the time. Don't be discouraged! :)

What products did you use?

Did you do flat twists or individuals?

I do all my braidouts/twistouts with individual braids, I can't cornrow or flat twist for anything. I'm not the best at braiding period. So if you are braid challenged like I am (lol) don't feel like you can't do it.

When I was relaxed and transitioning, I found that braid outs did work a little better than twist outs.

This is a pic of a braidout on transitioning hair... roots were getting crazy, but I found it to be acceptable, lol. :)

20178828.jpg

From looking at the pics, I suggest doing a few more braids/twists. In the pic above I think I probably had 12-16 braids.

Make sure that your hair is Deep conditioned, hydrated and happy.

Use a moisturizing leave in and some oil/serum or whatever works for you to keep frizz down, seal in moisture and keep the hair shiny. A little light hold gel (alcohol free of course) can help especially on humid days.

Braid FIRMLY and braid right down to the ends. At the end when I couldn't braid anymore, I would 2 strand twist the very tips to give some curl.

HTH!

I would try using a little curl activator of some kind to help define the curl more. Also, how is your hair's moisture balance? I found that once I got that in check my twist outs looked much better. Braid outs worked best for me during this in between phase vs twist outs. Was your hair wet or damp only?

I agree with Mummy's girl. It seems you need more tension in order for your new growth to take shape. Best thing for that would be cornrows or flat twists. That way it will dry in the shape you want without being able to shrink up to your current results.
Good luck for next time!

Thanks SO MUCH, you guys! I had a feeling that it had to do with my relaxed ends. And yes, I've noticed that whenever I do braidouts, they look much better.

To answer some of your questions, I shampooed my hair (lightly) with Garnier Fructis Moisture Works, then cleansed it out with a little bit V05 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Conditioner, and then I put Aussie Moist Conditioner in my hair (which feels great, by the way). I had put my hair in individual two strand twists.

I don't know anything about mositure balance or anything like that (though it sounds like something I should know). With this whole transitioning thing has me learning new things that I've never guessed.

You should rinse the conditioner out next time I am 100% natural and if i leave the condish in my hair looks still and dull and thats what I see in your last photo. So its not that you NEED to BC you just need to revamp your technique

Next time rinse out the condish try flat twist so that your hair is twisted into smaller sections and use a leave in such as S-curl or aphogee provitamin and seal the hair with a serum...try sallys argan oil... your hair will thank you :)

hopefully you post pics of your next trial! best of luck

lol, my first twist out didn't look much better, but now that is the style I wear 99% of the time. Don't be discouraged! :)

What products did you use?

Did you do flat twists or individuals?

I do all my braidouts/twistouts with individual braids, I can't cornrow or flat twist for anything. I'm not the best at braiding period. So if you are braid challenged like I am (lol) don't feel like you can't do it.

When I was relaxed and transitioning, I found that braid outs did work a little better than twist outs.

This is a pic of a braidout on transitioning hair... roots were getting crazy, but I found it to be acceptable, lol. :)

20178828.jpg

From looking at the pics, I suggest doing a few more braids/twists. In the pic above I think I probably had 12-16 braids.

Make sure that your hair is Deep conditioned, hydrated and happy.

Use a moisturizing leave in and some oil/serum or whatever works for you to keep frizz down, seal in moisture and keep the hair shiny. A little light hold gel (alcohol free of course) can help especially on humid days.

Braid FIRMLY and braid right down to the ends. At the end when I couldn't braid anymore, I would 2 strand twist the very tips to give some curl.

HTH!

your hair is super cute NEITH!

Back