twa..really not sure about this

aleemah

I was looking on youtube for twa styles. i ran across a video of a girl who was wetting her hair and taking a brush to it in a circular motion. It made her hair curl up. Is this considered a protective style? Also, my hair is only about 2.5 inches stretched and I need some advice on different protective styles. I have no clue what i am doing:ohwell:

I don't think it is possible for twa's to protective style in its true sense...unless you wear a wig , weave or braids maybe.

I could be wrong.

At 2.5 inches you don't really need to worry about protective styles. Focus more on getting a routine down. I big chopped with 3 inches remaining and either cornrowed my hair and wore a wig, or wore an afro. You really don't have to worry about protecting your ends so much because they are going to be very young and most likely won't brush on your clothes.
Make sure to keep your end moisturized and you should be fine. :)

Also, what you described is not a protective style because her ends are exposed. That's what I can tell from your description anyway.

Ravengirl

I feel like a weight has just been lifted off my shoulder. I thought I may have been doing something wrong by not styling my hair under my wig. I get frustrated at my hair because nothing seem to be working right for me. Im just so funny looking right now and this hair is giving me a lot of anxiety. My SO will be coming home soon and he has never seen my "natural" hair. Im trying to do whatever I can to make it look like something. I went natural while he was away. HE will love my hair no matter what but it just make me feel uncomfortable. I feel like I look like Pookie. Some days I love it and other days well...

Oh wow, it really was what I thought it was. I wanted to know more out of curiosity.

Like the others said, at that length you really can't PS in any sense other than having the end not rub on your clothes, etc. Sorry, I could have said that earlier.

Not protective but it's a cute styling method. I think you'd have to have some curl pattern to make it look like that though.

I thought her hair was cute before she did that brush thing, there was less exposed scalp, but that's just me. At that length I'd just rub a bit of the smoothie into it and leave it be.

Last edited:
She did it just like how I imagined she would. Dang, wish I was this creative when I first came out the gate :yep:

I think this would be an excellent way to start off some locs too.

I first heard of this from Roshini back in 2006. If I am not mistaken, it is a very old technique.

I would say with 2.5 inches of hair, just enjoy it! Don't get hung up on protective styling, just enjoy your TWA :)

When I first started out I had about .5" of hair, and I NEVER protected it! :blush:

Never did wigs, tried to do any kid of braids or anything of the sort. I just kept it moisturized and sealed and wore WNGs, and my hair grew out just fine.
1-25-10
me1-vi.jpg

1-25-10
100_0531-vi.jpg

3-19-11
100_2038-vi.jpg

Don't worry about protecting your TWA! You can do weaves or wigs/half wigs just to switch it up if you like, but your ends right now are fresh and don't really need to be protected just yet. You'll be fine! :yep:

Back