twa blues

kandi1280

Hi ladies.

I'm currently going through the TWA blues. The reason is because I have never seen my real hair since I was little, and I was a every 6-8 weeks relaxer. My hair is very thick and matts very easily.

It doesn't help the my entire family keeps asking me when I am going to relax. My Fiance doesn't like it either, but the truth is neither do I.

But, I don't feel I'm even giving myself a chance. I am just very lazy, and its much harder to keep my natural hair looking presentable. ( I am an accountant, and I can see my boss look at me like /images/graemlins/tongue.giferplexed:

I've been natural since July 22, and my hair is always dry I 've tried everything from Hot oil treatments, deep conditioners, and straight Jojoba oil, is feels good at first, but at the end of the day its DRY.

I guess My problem is that I don't want to lose my curls, but I do miss the convience of having straight hair occasionally.

Yesterday I cried for an hour litterally, because I felt like I was shunning what the Lord gave me /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Awwww. don't cry! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif Hang in there. You might have scab hair, 'cause that's the way my hair was when I had it.

Have you tried: Sta-sof-fro, S-Curl, coconut oil or shea butter? Those are really good and moisturizing. How often do you wash your hair? Do you do conditioner washes? Those are good for dry hair as well.

As an alternative, you can wear wigs, braids or weave until your hair gets longer.

You have many options! And don't feel guilty, okay? /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

God gave you HAIR PERIOD. So, you aren't shunning it, you just need another way to style it!

AWWW Kandi...I'm in the same boat..I've been natural since July with my official big chop by the hair dresser in August, so I use that month as my anniversary. I know how you feel. I went from bra strap length hair to about 3 inches of hair. It was a major shock and I soooo regret it! I have been wearing braids for the past few months, though and my hair is growing like crazy. My TWA is not so TW any more!! Stay with it a little longer, though. You can weave it up if you want to and before long it will be down your back again!! PM me if you want...we can be buddies. I need encouragement too sometimes!! I'm loving my natural hair as it grows out, though!! I can't wait until it gets really long! If you can just wait it out, I'm sure you'll reap the benefits!!

Don't cry, kandi /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. You are not shunning what you were given, you are just rightfully frustrated, because after being relaxed for so long, you are simply more comfortable with that. I'm not natural, so I don't have any real hair care advice, but I have tried to transition many times, so I know it can be trying. Just take comfort in knowing that this time will be worth it--sooner than later you will have a big ol fro /images/graemlins/smile.gif, and as time passes, you will become acclimated to it and it will become as convenient to care for as your relaxed hair was. Good luck and cheer up!

Awww kandi, don't be sad. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

If you hang in there a while and tap into the wealth of into here on natural hair, you should get through this rough period and come out the other end a shining example of what being a natural is all about. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You'll get used to, and come to love your hair, if you give it some time.

And try to ignore your loved ones. I know they mean well, but sometimes you just have to do what you want to do and let the results speak for themselves. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh honey sometimes these things take gettin used to-Believe me I know, I can remember being frustrated with my twa because my hair was also dry. I had to search to find a product that would work for it... AND I DID. You must regroup and get ANY myths assoicated with natural hair out of your mind, i.e. natural hair is hard to manage, natural hair is always short exc. Besides its not like you've been natural all of your life, you gotta crawl sometimes before you can walk. And as far as crying is concerned go ahead cry it out, I've cried about my hair too when I was first trying to transtion out of the perm. For me it was mentle thing, its hard (and sometimes painful) to change our old ways of thinking. I prayed about it too, so let it all out and don't be ashamed. Understand that God knows EVERYTHING you go through BEFORE you go through it. And he can comfort you, even if its about your hair. If you need someone to talk to personnally feel free to PM me, we both can work on a solution for your hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
oh honey sometimes these things take gettin used to-Believe me I know, I can remember being frustrated with my twa because my hair was also dry. I had to search to find a product that would work for it... AND I DID. You must regroup and get ANY myths assoicated with natural hair out of your mind, i.e. natural hair is hard to manage, natural hair is always short exc. Besides its not like you've been natural all of your life, you gotta crawl sometimes before you can walk. And as far as crying is concerned go ahead cry it out, I've cried about my hair too when I was first trying to transtion out of the perm. For me it was mentle thing, its hard (and sometimes painful) to change our old ways of thinking. I prayed about it too, so let it all out and don't be ashamed. Understand that God knows EVERYTHING you go through BEFORE you go through it. And he can comfort you, even if its about your hair. If you need someone to talk to personnally feel free to PM me, we both can work on a solution for your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/clap.gif amen to that /images/graemlins/smile.gif i think it would be a good idea for you and naptrl to be twa buddies, it helps when you have somebody else going through it with you. I totally understand how you feel /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Thank you everyone!!! Its really frustrating, because I am a very strong-willed person. But sometimes even the mighty fall! But really, thank you all. And I will be PM-ing some of you. for dsome hair support along the way.

Poor thing! Stop crying about your hair and go to a stylist and get it hooked up! LOL

No need to look like you lack style just because you still don't know how to wear your natural hair.

I've only been natural for 6 weeks and after getting over the initial shock in a weekend, I've been loving this 'fro like you wouldn't believe!

Since I had grown my hair out for 5 months and cut down almost all of that old "newgrowth" which was lifeless, dry and dull looking (ok it was straight up scary at first, I won't even lie LMAO), and had a tiny fro shaped (it was less than one inch long in the long spots!), I never had to really deal with scab hair which it seems you may have if your hair is truly uncharacteristically dry.

One thing I will say is that although my hair may look dry it's well conditioned and it really doesn't matter how much sheen or products I spray on it, it tends to keep the same amount of natural sheen.

You just have to make sure that your hair is well moisturized whether it looks like it or not.

What gave me the shiniest look that I'm thinking of redoing was when I got a semipermanent blue-black rinse! That was gorgeous and I wish my hair were that color naturally, but the more I get acquainted with who I truly am, the more I love all of her each day.

Now all I'm doing is letting my hair do its thing and grow into one BAA! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back