Trying to muster up the courage...

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

..to wear a drawstring ponytail in public. I don't know why, but I am having a hard time getting passed my mailbox. I bought two drawstring ponytails the other day to give myself more style options but I can't bring myself to wear them outside. It bothers me that everyone else will know they are fake. Is that weird?

No it is not odd. I just sucked it up and act like you don't care. In fact swing it like you know its fake.

No, it's not weired at all. As obsessed as I am with maintaining the length of my hair, I also have been hesitant to wear a phonytail as a protective hairstyle. I know some of the people around me would have a field day making fun of the "weave"/ fake hair. Some of them still don't believe that my real hair is my own
swearing.gif
grin.gif
but I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and wear my phonytail with pride, as soon as I find out where to buy one.

I used to be like that (I'm saying it likes it was along time ago...this was just last week). I bought a curly ponytail and was convinced it didn'y match just right and looked too fake. I got over it though. After I realized it looks better than my regular ponytail does right now, I said screw it and attached it and refuse to take it off until next week (yeah I'm even wearing it to bed). I have goals to achieve!

[ QUOTE ]
In fact swing it like you know its fake.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
I know that's right!

I have the same fear about people knowing it's fake, but whatever. Half of them are also wearing weaves and the other half probably needs to, so nobody should be judging anything. Anyway, if it's really a problem for you, just pin in up into a bun so you still get the protective benefits and the haters will be much less likely to realize it's not yours.

[ QUOTE ]
..to wear a drawstring ponytail in public. I don't know why, but I am having a hard time getting passed my mailbox. I bought two drawstring ponytails the other day to give myself more style options but I can't bring myself to wear them outside. It bothers me that everyone else will know they are fake. Is that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, not everyone will know that it's fake.

Tebby

Girl, I have that same problem.
smile.gif
I thought I was having serious issues
frown.gif
, glad I'm not alone because I want to wear one this winter. Honestly, I have a problem with any type of "fake" hair on/in my head, even braids and I wore those, but it took me a while to get use to them.
grin.gif

Once you get used to them, you'll be having fun with all the different looks you can create. I admit, I'm love me some weaving hair. I make my ponytails from them. I need to join an addiction program.

I'm so glad y'all posted this. I have a serious love/hate relationship with my new found discovery - the phony pony.

Mine is, like A LOT of hair (I want a smaller one, like Adrienne's) and so even in a bun it's looks impossibly full. It is EASY though.

frown.gif
Where are people buying these things online?????? I want more options than my little ghetto beauty supply.

Well, I am a wearer of anything fake from braids to weaves to phony ponys to fake buns. You name it, I've worn it! Well not everything.
laugh.gif

I do understand how you feel. It may seem sort of awkward at first but once you do it the first time, it gets more easier. So just step out there and do it girl!

I hate wearing fake hair. I've only done it once, and that was while I was on a cruise last year. It was a Phony-tail, and like Tracy said, it was just too much hair. I guess it looked good but I don't like the feeling of having something fake sitting on my head.
nono.gif

I decided to walk around my house with the ponytails on so I get used to it. My daughter is giving me this look like, "Um, Mommy, you have something on your head." I took pictures so you can see what I am dealing with.
phonytail1-vi.jpg

This one is 10 inches and is supposed to be relaxed hair.

phonytail2-vi.jpg

This one is wet and wavy before you wet it. I like the not as wavy look but it is so thick. It looks like a full wig doesn't it?

Do you think I can pull this off?

HR, those look great. That is the type I usually wear. I think you can pull those off with no problem at all. As Nike states...Just Do It!!!!
After wearing them a time or two you won't feel so weird about it!

Good Luck!

personally, i couldn't wear that outside, i would have to cut most of that hair off, probably to my neck. now i see why you didn't want to go past your mailbox, i would be scared to go outside with it too.
rofl.gif
i tried the phony last february, i just didn't like the fact that it was fake, so i know where you are coming from.

ps. but its pretty

where did you buy these? I really like the wet and wavy one. shoot! i would wear that and be all attitude. someone would have to snatch it off to get my behavior in check.lol

Well, I've been wearing the ultimate protective hairstyle--a headband wig. It is so long & so fake, but I flip it around like it's mine because my real hair is nice & healthy underneath. Just think about good your real hair looks, and how it's being protected from the air & rubbing up against your clothes like the fake hair. While people are scoffing at your phonytail, you're on your way to reaching your goal length.

However, after seeing the pictures, I would trim it down to a shorter length.

I wore braided extensions that were brastrap length for YEARS. They were a hassle to put in, but I did little upkeep once they were attached. It suited me then. If asked, I'd admit freely that the plastic hair from Korea wasn't mine.

I currently wouldn't consider a sewn-in weave or a phony ponytail, even though it might look better than my homely bun. No logic, it's just my personal glitch.

In other news, I can never tell whether a stranger has a weave or phony ponytail, and I never ask. Who cares?

Just do you.
look.gif

Okay. i agree. It is too much hair. With that said, does anyone know how to trim a fake ponytail? If I trim it the wrong way, it will REALLY look fake!

Hello! I love wearing phonytails. I've bought them from DR locks net, internationalwig.com and Ifhair.com. I can't style my hair for nothing!!! Phonytails come in handy for me.
smile.gif

Honeyrockette, Are yours the clip on phonytails? My hair is short and those things kill my head. The drawstrings are so much better.

trust me, i know how u feel. when i first wore my fake body out, i was so ashamed and thought that i would be outed. i got a short curly pony tail and most folks don't even know its not my hair. i got over it and basically told folks it was a fake that i was wearing to help me during my transition period. it's really nobody's business but it helped me to feel more authentic and empowered. frankly even after i have acheived my hair goals, i will keep a fake pony in my regime and heck, i don't even care if folk know it fake-- i just want to aciev my hair goals.i however just can't go with the real big, fake pony but to each her own.

They're both cute on you. You can go to one of those Korean wig shops to have them cut it down for you.

HR, the 1st one looks fabulous! It looks like ur hair to me. I really can't make out the 2nd one... I like the 1st one anyway
cool.gif

Also, I know exactly what u mean... I've never worn fake hair, not even braids. But I wanna.
smile.gif

hey Honeyrockette i think the first one looks better also. i want to get a phony tail myself too, and i was wondering where you bought yours? also does everyone who wears phonies have hair long enuf for all of your hair to fit into a ponytail? im having issues with that, and i'm probly gonna have to use a lot of gel...can anyone help me with this, because the back of my hair is definitely long enuf- i jus have a lot of little layers in the front.
Nubianrose

[ QUOTE ]
personally, i couldn't wear that outside, i would have to cut most of that hair off, probably to my neck. now i see why you didn't want to go past your mailbox, i would be scared to go outside with it too.
rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!!
nono.gif

I was trying to experiment with the ponytail and I ended up going to work like this yesterday:
bunthing-vi.jpg

Only one of the security guards said something to me. I still wanted to snatch it off my head and run home. At least I made it out the door. I think I do need to get it cut down!:(

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope Its not wierd, I wouldnt wear one.
nono.gif
I would wear a fake small bun with thin weave that matches my own hair color. My friend does this and it doesnt look fake at all.

I really like it Serei, particularly in the first style!
smile.gif

I'd wear it in the second style too, although personally, I would cut some of the length off first. But with the relaxed style, it looks good with all the length. Don't give up! They look great!

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:

[/ QUOTE ]Girl just think of it as your practice run
smile.gif
Soon the only thing you'll be clipping onto that long, healthy hair will be your fav hair accesory.
wink.gif

Back