WIGS,drawstring ponytails, and all that good stuff

beana3

I've started my 3 month hair program which consists of using only few products on my hair... targeting my hair needs.
One of the things im incorporating into my regime is air drying. My hair never looks smooth after i do this and has a dry look to it for about 2 days. I know airdrying is completely beneficial, but my hair does not always respond well to it in terms of appearance.
so... i was thinking of either purchasing a wig, or making one (hey, i'd give myself EXACTLY what i wanted!!). My reason being, i can wear my hair in cornrows underneath from wash to wash, and when i want to go out somewhere special i'll just slap the wig on... and no one has to know, b/c i'll try to make a wig with preteated hair and it wont be too thick, hopefully /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm already looking for drawstring ponytails, but all the one's ive seen look so obviously thick!
any suggestions on good places to find a wig or drawstring ponytail in NYC?????? Also, does anyone here know how to make wigs????
I wanted to find a good ponytail and wig before my christams break 2 1/2 weeks and counting!!!! so any sugeestions would be appreciated. thanx

Well, I make my own wigs, I actually made one Friday night and wore it with a cute applejack hat.

A store with a good selection of drawstring ponytails is the Beauty Supply store between 125th and 126th and Frederick Douglas Blvd. There's a hair station across the street from the State Building on 125th that has tons of Ponytails as well.

As far as wigs the hair station on 125th right on the corner of the A/D train has a pretty decent selection.

Here's a website I found that sells wigs as well:
www.katourlinewigs.com

When I wear wigs, I usually wrap my hair underneath and put on a wig cap (the one that's good for ventilation) and throw the wig on top and because it's cold you can play with all types of cut hats and scarves.

Amillion, as always you have come through!!!!! now for a million questions (lol):
are the wigs hard to make??? on average how much money and time goes into making a wig??? i'm looking for a wig that's like my own length, maybe 14" in yaki hair terms, no bang, and has some scalp (is this even possible??!1?) on a part down the middle.
oh and BTW, i just wanted to tell u that you have helped me keep focus of my hair goals and have been a great inspiration! u really encouraged me to stick with my own hair and work on that, as opposed to the quick fix weave.

No problem Beana /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sewing a wig's like sewing a weave. There's many options you can take. I prefer using a wig head and putting a stocking cat or a wig cap on the wig head. I purchase regular hair that you would weave with and start sewing each track to my desired thickness and color shade that I'm aiming for. You can purchase the skin parts from many stores in New York. The skin attachment gives a skin part (realistic) look to your wig. What I like about sewing wigs you determine the style, the length and the color, as well as it sits very flat to your head so that it looks quite natural if done CORRECTLY. As I am still going through trial and error (that's one of the reasons I'll throw a hat on).

Wearing it with a part in the middle can be tricky with a wig. If you want the ultimate natural look, I'll pull the wig back off my hairline some, part my own hair down the middle, comb a small section back to cover the section of the wig that's exposed and style the rest. However, I rarely do this. I'm a hat queen!!! What can I say.

Hope this all makes sense.

If you need a hat store with some really cute hat's visit the Hap & Cap Shop on 34th street behind The Gap or on West 8th Street next door to the Gray's Papaya.

hmmm... i'll look for the supplies, but if i find a good wig, then i'll just buy that.
*sigh* i guess i'll just concentrate on getting a good ponytail..... i'll keep you posted on what happens!

Hey play around. But a stocking and buy synthetic hair and try sewing it. Girl I had my wig on tonight keeping my head warm and guess who tried to kick game!! Lem from Soul Food, if he only knew hahaha.

Back