Trouble rollersetting texturized hair?

yodie

Have you ever had trouble rollersetting texturized hair? If so, please help.

I've tried wetsetting my hair several times and it has this crunchy after effect. My hair tends to shed more when I rollerset too.

Some of my hair will stick together, have knots somewhere within and I can't easily comb it out afterwards.

I'm looking for that bouncy effect, but I'm not sure that I can get it.

Anyone else ever have this problem and solve it?

Products used: Water, jojoba oil and a little mousse.

Any suggestions for a sista that wants to break away from the blow-dryer and look cute at a moments notice?
Thanks!!

I know what you mean, I found that my hair has to be soaking wet, when I rollerset, to get that look, I their is a good tutorial in somebody's fotki, I can't remember who:confused: , I also, use the brush type roller with the pins, that is the only way I can get my hair to roll tightly, hth
products used,
water,
leavin,
serum

I rollerset my hair and haven't had any problems. After my wash the only thing I use in my hair is my leave-in and coconut oil and the rollerset comes out great.

tryingto said:
I know what you mean, I found that my hair has to be soaking wet, when I rollerset, to get that look, I their is a good tutorial in somebody's fotki, I can't remember who:confused: , I also, use the brush type roller with the pins, that is the only way I can get my hair to roll tightly, hth
products used,
water,
leavin,
serum

is your hair texturized?

your color is very pretty. Is this your natural color? Ilm trying to get this shade.

your hair is texturized like mine. do u get a lot shedding as you're combing your hair? crispy curls? can u comb thru your curls? what type of coconut oil do u use? any special combs?

do u use clips to set your hair?

sunshinebeautiful said:
I rollerset my hair and haven't had any problems. After my wash the only thing I use in my hair is my leave-in and coconut oil and the rollerset comes out great.

I don't have too many problems rollersetting my hair and it is completely natural. It can be difficult to get it on the rollers smoothly some times but if I soak it down with diluted setting lotion and comb it smooth then rolling is no big deal. I am always really nervous about wrapping it, since I am not in the habit of combing my hair when it is dry but other than that my sets come out great. No knots at all and there is tons of body whether the curls are big or small.

Well I'm acting as if I have done a million sets but I have only done 2 on my natural hair.

raeshan said:
is your hair texturized?

your color is very pretty. Is this your natural color? Ilm trying to get this shade.
Thank you, and yes my hair is texturized, and no, I had it highlighted a few months ago,

your hair is beautiful. guess i'll get the set right sooner than later.

turnergirl said:
I don't have too many problems rollersetting my hair and it is completely natural. It can be difficult to get it on the rollers smoothly some times but if I soak it down with diluted setting lotion and comb it smooth then rolling is no big deal. I am always really nervous about wrapping it, since I am not in the habit of combing my hair when it is dry but other than that my sets come out great. No knots at all and there is tons of body whether the curls are big or small.

Well I'm acting as if I have done a million sets but I have only done 2 on my natural hair.

sareca said:
Mine sets pretty straight.

Do you use anything special to set it with?

Does anyone have a rollersetting instructional in their fotki?

Sounds like practice makes perfect.

raeshan said:
Do you use anything special to set it with?

Does anyone have a rollersetting instructional in their fotki?

Sounds like practice makes perfect.

Keeping it wet while rolling, making sure it's clipped down snug, and staying under the dryer until it's completely dry. That's it. No special products. I don't even use setting lotion. :barf:

sareca said:
Keeping it wet while rolling, making sure it's clipped down snug, and staying under the dryer until it's completely dry. That's it. No special products. I don't even use setting lotion. :barf:

I do the same thing. Sometimes I let my rollerset airdry. I do make sure my hair is straight when I wrap around the roller and secure it tight to make sure that it dries straight.

The less product I use, the better the set seems to come out. I don't add setting lotion or anything else to avoid crunchies.

raeshan said:
your hair is texturized like mine. do u get a lot shedding as you're combing your hair? crispy curls? can u comb thru your curls? what type of coconut oil do u use? any special combs?

do u use clips to set your hair?

I detangle my hair in the shower. I do it in sections, loaded with conditioner, using my Denman brush. I don't get a lot of shedding or breakage, I think, because I detangle very slowly and carefully.

I'm not a fan of combs. I section and comb each piece of hair as I'm rollersetting, but once dry, I usually just finger fluff my curls.

I use Spectrum organic cocout oil. I buy a jar for like $7 at Whole Foods.

THANK YOU. I'm gonna try this and let you know my results. r u detangling with leave in conditioner?

sunshinebeautiful said:
I detangle my hair in the shower. I do it in sections, loaded with conditioner, using my Denman brush. I don't get a lot of shedding or breakage, I think, because I detangle very slowly and carefully.

I'm not a fan of combs. I section and comb each piece of hair as I'm rollersetting, but once dry, I usually just finger fluff my curls.

I use Spectrum organic cocout oil. I buy a jar for like $7 at Whole Foods.

My hair still has has a lot of natural wave as I don't process bone straight. I don't towel dry my hair and I just add Rusk Smoother & Lacio Lacio. I comb through with a bone comb, spritz my hair with distilled water and secure my rollers with duckbill clips, they give great tension. Around my hairline I use smaller rollers, to get that area nice and smooth where my hair is a little underprocessed.

I rollerset all the time. And yeah practice definitely makes perfect :)! Here's my process, so maybe something in here will work for you.
-After you wash your hair, load it with conditioner, section it off, detangle, and do two strand twists (each strand will hold one roller, so size accordingly)
-Gently rinse out most of the conditioner, so that hair is clean and soaking wet
-From here I just untwist a twist, put some Aveda humuctant on the end, and roll each strand tightly in a roller (I use the magnectic ones with the clips)
-I dry for about 45 minutes under a bonnet dryer
-Unroll, spray some shine mist and voila!

Someone's album has very good step-by-step advice, but I can't remember who right now...If I remember I'll post it. Anyway, hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing your regimen.

Do you load conditioner, section and twist in the shower? do you comb out each strand before you roll it?

misspriss said:
I rollerset all the time. And yeah practice definitely makes perfect :)! Here's my process, so maybe something in here will work for you.
-After you wash your hair, load it with conditioner, section it off, detangle, and do two strand twists (each strand will hold one roller, so size accordingly)
-Gently rinse out most of the conditioner, so that hair is clean and soaking wet
-From here I just untwist a twist, put some Aveda humuctant on the end, and roll each strand tightly in a roller (I use the magnectic ones with the clips)
-I dry for about 45 minutes under a bonnet dryer
-Unroll, spray some shine mist and voila!

Someone's album has very good step-by-step advice, but I can't remember who right now...If I remember I'll post it. Anyway, hope that helps!

I'm texlaxed and mine comes out fairly straight with a leave in, serum and water. However, I do need to flat iron some sections after to get the texture bone straight....

I use a rattail comb and I always make sure my hair is soaking wet... not to mention, my hair is already sectioned in 6-8 parts before I begin moisturizing and rollersetting.

turnergirl said:

Your rollerset is very pretty! :yep:

I don't have any problems rollersetting my texlaxed hair (is that what you mean by texturized?). In fact, I've never rollerset my hair before texlaxing it. It turns out great every time, as long as I'm consistent. I only use a little leave-in, not too much (Giovanni Direct) and make sure my hair is dripping wet with water while I'm rollersetting. I airdry my hair in a rollerset. :)

Isis said:
I don't have any problems rollersetting my texlaxed hair (is that what you mean by texturized?). In fact, I've never rollerset my hair before texlaxing it. It turns out great every time, as long as I'm consistent. I only use a little leave-in, not too much (Giovanni Direct) and make sure my hair is dripping wet with water while I'm rollersetting. I airdry my hair in a rollerset. :)

Yes, I mean texlaxed. sorry about that.

I'm still confused on the topic of airdrying. seems as though my hair would dry frizzy and not straight. Mabye I'll try this soon.

Okay ladies.... I set my hair last night and it came out better than it every has.

Thank you sooo much. I'm learning. Asked God to help me learn how to master my own hair. Now, I want to break my blowdryer addiction.

Here's what I did...

Shampooed once with Prell. (someone said this would lighten your dye job, but I didn't see any difference.) I hear it's pretty harsh, so I don't think I'll use it again.

Shampooed again with Robert Craig shampoo. His products are excellent. No ammonia, no peroxide, gentle hair dyes. Shampoo is excellent.

Deep conditioned with Sebastian 2+1. Been awhile since I used this.

For the first time, I had no need to use a detangling spray to comb my hair. Not sure which of these products did the trick, but my hair felt great.

Applied coconut oil and some Schwarzkopf frizz serum.

Spritzed hair with Dove Sheer Moisture as needed, in place of water. This always gives me bouncy curls.

Also used a little bit of Aveda Universal Styling Creme on some of my ends.

Set my hair with the big magnetic rollers and used hair clips.

My hair came out very soft and I could actually run a comb thru it if I wanted to.

I had almost no sections of my hair that stuck together.

Wrapped it around before I went to bed. When I woke up, my hair was a little crunchier.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'll keep practicing.

Back