Trimming question for Naturals???

musiclova

Calling out all the natural ladies! When you are growing your hair out from a twa do you still get regular trims to keep up some type of shape to your hair or do you just let the hair grow out without trimming at all? I haven't had a trim since April and I have not applied heat to my hair since I bc'd in January but I have read that it is imperative to get regular trims (say every 2-3 months when growing your hair out) even when you are natural and don't inflict any damage to your hair with heat. I want a little more shape to my hair also without losing too much length. What do you think?

I let the hair grow out and then I will cut it when i reach my goal. right now the back of my hair reaches shoulder but everywhere else doesn't which makes my fro lopsided but oh well.......that just my plan but I know others trim every few weeks/months

musiclova said:
Calling out all the natural ladies! When you are growing your hair out from a twa do you still get regular trims to keep up some type of shape to your hair or do you just let the hair grow out without trimming at all? I haven't had a trim since April and I have not applied heat to my hair since I bc'd in January but I have read that it is imperative to get regular trims (say every 2-3 months when growing your hair out) even when you are natural and don't inflict any damage to your hair with heat. I want a little more shape to my hair also without losing too much length. What do you think?

well after the intial chop, i wa trimming for at least a week after. i had missed some spots and some of the ends were relaxed pieces. after that (and about 8-9 months later, i did get a nice trim (only because i flat ironed my hair and it crunched the ends- ETA: they were all more like dustings). since that day, ive been trimming about once every 6 weeks if i remember to do it- until my ends are in better shape in which case i probably wont trim but 2-4times a year in total. I didn't mind not having shape in the very beginning because when it starts to grow, it takes its own equally beautiful natural shape. But I will admit that I did cut my own bangs because I was bored with my hair- my advice (in case you ever want bangs) is to CUT LONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU WANT IT- lol you can always trim it a bit shorter if thats your preference but what I learned? YOU CAN'T regain that hair after you cut it, lol well of course until it grows in on its own

At the time though, I wouldn't have trimmed just because I was trying to retain what little hair i did have so i didn't even bother. Just give it a little time (at least another 10-12 months) and believe you me, you'll be in :love: with your shape!

Last edited:
I've only had a trim once since being natural (not including my bc) and I'm on my 10th month now. My hairdresser said he'll trim it as needed. Last time I went he said my ends were still good. I don't manipulate my hair much though so that might be why.

cutiebe2 said:
I let the hair grow out and then I will cut it when i reach my goal. right now the back of my hair reaches shoulder but everywhere else doesn't which makes my fro lopsided but oh well.......that just my plan but I know others trim every few weeks/months

I use to have mya hair flat ironed and trimmed every 3 months but I didn't retain a lot. Now I trim a little maybe once a year and I have retained more. If I went back to a TWA I would just let it grow out. My hair grows faster and slower in some areas so I just let it do what it do. :)

I am letting it do what it does. I did another trim because there were some straight ends that were very noticable after I did my henna treatment but I have put my scissors away for the year. I probably won't do a self trim until my 1 year anniversary of being completely natural!

After 1 year of being natural, I had my hair flatironed, and she trimmed almost 2 inches off. My ends were raggedy and wouldn't straighten. I will probably trim once a year(maybe).

Back