Traumatic Alopecia

stacy

I've been suffering from a thinning hairline for about three years. I first really noticed it after I first got braids. The braids were super tight and caused hair to come out at the bulb (they lasted a week). I used ORS Temple Serum, but it didn't seem to help. I got braids one more time (not as tight, but only lasted one week), then I went natural for 14 months. My hairline grew back a little. However, it is still thin. I started thinking that my hairline was probably thinning before the braids. I was relaxing for 14 years before I went natural. I usually burned around my hairline when I burned (which was often because stylists tended to leave the relaxer on a long time for my coarse hair). I think the thinning is from years of burning from chemical relaxers, which is classfied as traumatic alopecia (from what I've researched). I plan to see a dermatologist to make sure and get treatment. Do any of you suffer (or suspect you suffer)from this? Have any of you been diagnosed with this? If so, how were you treated? Have any of you used a product that actually grew your hairline back? Even though I've been about 13 weeks without a touch-up, my hairline doesn't appear to be getting better. The damage may be permanent.

Have you tried the Profectiv Anti-Thinning Circulation Stimulant? It is much cheaper than the ORS and works well from what I hear. I've used it on my hairline, but not consistently enough to see results. The skin at my hairline did turn red once, but it wasn't irritated. That made me think that it really was increasing circulation in that area.

<font color="blue">Hey stacy...just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this. Though personally I've never experience traumatic alopecia I know sisters who have. First off let me tell you that even though it's been 13 weeks doesn't mean the hair will never grow back.

Sometimes it takes 6-12 months...sometimes longer, sometimes less. It really depends on the state of your follicles. The only one who could definitively tell you whether or not the damage is permanent is ur dermatologist. Please see ur dermotologist A.S.A.P. But more importantly, please stop relaxing! Your health is more important.

Not everyone's hair can handle chemicals well. When I was relaxed I always had thin sides. But since going natural 6-7 mths ago my hairline has filled in considerably. It's still not as thick as other parts of my hair but it's thicker than it's EVER been. Chemicals didn't work for me, period.

Please keep us updated..I'll be praying for you.</font>

Thanks. I went natural for 14 months, but I still suffered split ends and knotting. The hairline looked fuller, but it may have been because my hair is denser naturally. I will continue wearing wraps and wigs like I had intended to do for the summer. I'll have to make an appt. w/my regular doctor to get a dermatologist referral. However, I am away from home until July.

Also consider more natural rememdies stacy...like Vitamin E nd Rosemary Oil. My mother had some thining from braids that were too tight and these worked well for her. It took a while (4 months) for things to be back to normal but it did help.

Your instincts to go easy on you hair for the summer are dead on. Good girl. Leave it alone for a few months, baby it and I'm sure it'll come back very soon.
smile.gif

Hugs to you. {{{{{Stacy}}}}
kiss.gif

Don't worry yet. Treat your hairline like silk for the summer and leave it alone. My fingers are crossed for you. I''m sure it'll come back fine.
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about you going thru this, Stacy. I know it must be hard! You may want to check out this book by Pamela Ferrell called Let's Talk Hair; it has info on it about alopecia, especially the kind caused by chemical damage. No Lye! by Tulani Kinard is also good. These books highly recommend natural hair, which would be my suggestion for you. I know you said you'd gone the natural route before. Conditioning is extremely important for the health of natural hair. I always use conditioner &amp; once or twice a month, a deep conditioner. I don't use a lot of heat on my hair, either &amp; I no longer relax. There's also a product made by Carol's Daughter called Some of Marguerite's Magic--it's supposed to be good for ailing hairlines. I hope this link works. www.carolsdaughter.com
Good luck to you!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I went natural for 14 months, but I still suffered split ends and knotting. The hairline looked fuller, but it may have been because my hair is denser naturally. I will continue wearing wraps and wigs like I had intended to do for the summer. I'll have to make an appt. w/my regular doctor to get a dermatologist referral. However, I am away from home until July.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Stacy,
I'm sorry to hear about your hairline. I was wondering if the wigs might not be aggravating an already sensitive area. I recall Andre Walker saying something about the wig caps and/or the part of the wig that touches people's hairlines causing enough friction to undo whatever good may be derived from giving the hair a rest with that method.

Wearing styles that cover the hairline may be a good idea.

Good luck!

Chemical damage to the scalp generally produces hair loss in patches or spots, whereas excess tension would look more like the thinning you describe. However, the hair around the hairline tends to be finer and requires less time to process, so some of the initial thinning could have been the result of overprocessing the hair (as opposed to damaging the scalp).

What many people don’t realize is that braiding (even on natural hair) can be just as or more harmful to the scalp than chemicals. When the hair is braided too tight you are continually putting on the scalp/follicle. For example, if your hairline is similar to Brandy’s – that due to excess tension.

Vitamin E and the Profectiv product can be helpful. Definitely visit a dermatologist – preferably one that is black – they should be able to determine whether there is damage to the scalp.

Good luck and I hope things go well!

I'd see a dermatologist too. I lost 2 quarter size patches of hair once. They were clean! My beautician shreiked when she saw them. And everyone in the salon stared at me! I acted calm until I got home. Good grief! I immediately scheduled an appointment with a doctor. Since I was with an HMO i got some woman I'd never seen before. She said it wasn't alopecia but probably a relaxer burn. Hello! I think I'd know if I burned my d*mned head! What does she think I was doing sleep walking and permed my head? Anyway, I got a 2nd opinion and was told the hair would grow back when it was ready. If not, steroids were the next step. Luckily it improved within a month.

Thanks, ladies. Only one side is really bad. The other side is thinning a little, but the right side is patchy (dime size).

Back