TRANSITIONING TIPS

darkempress

HEY LADIES:) ,
FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT TRANSITIONING, I'VE THOUGHT OF IT BEFORE BUT NEVER REALLY HAD THE GUTS TO GO THROUGH WITH IT. BUT NOW I'M READY. TODAY IS GOING TO BE THE OFFICIAL DATE THAT I START TRANSITIONING. MY LAST PERM WAS JUST OVER A WEEK AGO. I DECIDED THAT AFTER THAT RELAXER THERE WOULD BE NO MORE. I'D JUST REALLY LIKE TO GIVE MYSELF A CHANGE, AND EMBRACE MY NATURAL TEXTURE.
I PLAN ON TRANSITIONING FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS, AND AFTER THAT I'LL BC. SO I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL TIPS THAT YOU LADIES CAN SHARE FOR MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS AND RECOMMEND SOME GOOD PRODUCTS THAT I CAN USE DURING AND AFTER.

THANK YOU:) :D

honeycomb719 said:
PATIENCE PATIENCE AND MORE PATIENCE.

Amen to that!!

ETA: Be very gentle using the kindest styling instruments to prevent breakage between the natural and relaxed parts of your strands.

Last edited:
I DEF HAVE PATIENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MY HAIR. SO I GUESS I HAVE THAT PART DOWN ALREADY:D .

ANY MORE TIPS LADIES FOR TECHNIQUES, STYLES OR PRUCTS?

Pretty soon half of LHCF members will have au naturale hair. The natural bug has been floating around here a lot lately. :lol: It's all good of course! ;)

~Some basic tips~

Moisture:
*Keep your new growth moisturized, the area where your new growth and relaxed hair meet (the line of demarcation) is most vulnerable to breakage, keeping that area moisturized is crucial. Don’t forget to moisturize your ends as well.

Protein:
*Make sure to add a decent amount of protein in your hair regimen, the protein will help strengthen your hair. You can use protein based conditioners, protein reconstructor(s) or natural sources of protein like eggs. Use whatever you feel is necessary for your hair.

Hair Styles:
*Low Manipulation/Protective Styles are best when transitioning IMO. Styles such as: Braidouts, Twistouts, Rod Sets, Roller Sets, Buns, French Rolls, Bantu Knots, Flat Twists, Braid Extensions etc…are great transitioning styles. They’re easy to do, and they’re easy on your hair. Plus your natural texture will blend in better with your relaxed hair when wearing these styles.

Trimming/Cutting:
*How often you trim/cut your relaxed ends is a personal choice. As long as you trim/cut your ends it will help along with the transition process. Not trimming/cutting at all will just make the process difficult, and most likely your hair will suffer consequently.

Heat Usage:
*If your going to use heat, keep it at a minimum. Using too much heat isn’t good for your hair. It can permanently straighten your natural texture, it only takes one time for damage to occur, please keep that in mind. Whenever you use heat make sure to use a good heat protectant.

Washing/Detangling:
*A great method for washing/detangling your hair is to wash your hair in braided sections. It will help minimize/eliminate any tangles or breakage. You can make however many braids you want. I usually make 3-4. You basically braid your hair in sections, then wet your hair and apply your shampoo or conditioner thoroughly massage into each section. Unbraid one section at a time, then detangle each section from ends to roots using a wide toothed comb.

Consistency & Patience:
*Once you find the right products that work for your hair stick with them, it will help make the journey to natural a bit easier. Remember the journey to natural is just that, a journey, it takes time and patience.

Good Luck!
SA

darkempress said:
HEY LADIES:) ,
FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT TRANSITIONING, I'VE THOUGHT OF IT BEFORE BUT NEVER REALLY HAD THE GUTS TO GO THROUGH WITH IT. BUT NOW I'M READY. TODAY IS GOING TO BE THE OFFICIAL DATE THAT I START TRANSITIONING. MY LAST PERM WAS JUST OVER A WEEK AGO. I DECIDED THAT AFTER THAT RELAXER THERE WOULD BE NO MORE. I'D JUST REALLY LIKE TO GIVE MYSELF A CHANGE, AND EMBRACE MY NATURAL TEXTURE.
I PLAN ON TRANSITIONING FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS, AND AFTER THAT I'LL BC. SO I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL TIPS THAT YOU LADIES CAN SHARE FOR MY TRANSITIONING PROCESS AND RECOMMEND SOME GOOD PRODUCTS THAT I CAN USE DURING AND AFTER.

THANK YOU:) :D

Me too!!
Sorry..seeing someone else thinking the same thing I am right now just got me excited :lol:

Looking at all the beautiful natural heads on this board and my friends gorgeous, big 3C slightly 4A curls I've just been inspired. I can't really think of a reason not to do it. I was thinking about transitioning for 6 months as well and then just cutting all the relaxed ends off.

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Pretty soon half of LHCF members will have au naturale hair. The natural bug has been floating around here a lot lately. :lol: It's all good of course! ;)

~Some basic tips~

Moisture:
*Keep your new growth moisturized, the area where your new growth and relaxed hair meet (the line of demarcation) is most vulnerable to breakage, keeping that area moisturized is crucial. Don’t forget to moisturize your ends as well.

Protein:
*Make sure to add a decent amount of protein in your hair regimen, the protein will help strengthen your hair. You can use protein based conditioners, protein reconstructor(s) or natural sources of protein like eggs. Use whatever you feel is necessary for your hair.

Hair Styles:
*Low Manipulation/Protective Styles are best when transitioning IMO. Styles such as: Braidouts, Twistouts, Rod Sets, Roller Sets, Buns, French Rolls, Bantu Knots, Flat Twists, Braid Extensions etc…are great transitioning styles. They’re easy to do, and they’re easy on your hair. Plus your natural texture will blend in better with your relaxed hair when wearing these styles.

Trimming/Cutting:
*How often you trim/cut your relaxed ends is a personal choice. As long as you trim/cut your ends it will help along with the transition process. Not trimming/cutting at all will just make the process difficult, and most likely your hair will suffer consequently.

Heat Usage:
*If your going to use heat, keep it at a minimum. Using too much heat isn’t good for your hair. It can permanently straighten your natural texture, it only takes one time for damage to occur, please keep that in mind. Whenever you use heat make sure to use a good heat protectant.

Washing/Detangling:
*A great method for washing/detangling your hair is to wash your hair in braided sections. It will help minimize/eliminate any tangles or breakage. You can make however many braids you want. I usually make 3-4. You basically braid your hair in sections, then wet your hair and apply your shampoo or conditioner thoroughly massage into each section. Unbraid one section at a time, then detangle each section from ends to roots using a wide toothed comb.

Consistency & Patience:
*Once you find the right products that work for your hair stick with them, it will help make the journey to natural a bit easier. Remember the journey to natural is just that, a journey, it takes time and patience.

Good Luck!
SA
THANKS ALOT SA,
THIS IS REALLY HELPFUL. I'VE ALWAYS HEARD THAT IT CAN BE SO TRICKY DEALING WITH BOTH THE RELAXED AND NATURAL HAIR AT ONCE. BUT I'M UP TO THIS CHALLENGE. I JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER TO BE EXTRA GENTLE B/C I KNOW I HAVE A TENDENCY TO BE ROUGH WITH MY NEW GROWTH.
THANKS AGAIN:)

Well I'm no expert since I'm just getting started but the biggest lesson I've learned so far is leave your hair alone as much as possible. Less manipulation is making it so much easier for me. Congrats on your decision.

Back