Transitioning long haired ladies

do you blow dry, press and curl your hair?

Is it still healthy?? If not, what do you do to keep it healthy?

I want to hold on to my length by gradually cutting my permed ends.

I transitioned with long hair. I did not blow dry and press and curl. I mostly wore braidouts and buns. I got my hair trimmed gradually over 18 months.

hairlove said:
I transitioned with long hair. I did not blow dry and press and curl. I mostly wore braidouts and buns. I got my hair trimmed gradually over 18 months.

I plan on growing it out until I get to my goal length and then each month cutting off how ever much grows that much from my ends so I can keep the length. I know this will probably take 2 or so years to get from earlength (where my natural hair ends) to BSL where my relaxed hair ends. I wear protective styles but my hair is easy to straighten and since the winter is coming up I plan on wearing it down with a rollerset most of the time until May.

I'm a slowwwwwwww transitioner. :grin: I started off using heat (blowdry and hotcurl) every 2 weeks during my first few months of my transition. Now I'm 15 months in, and I use it maybe once a month or every other month. I wear braid outs, wigs/falls and phony ponies mostly. I slowed down with the heat b/c I didn't want to damage my natural texture. I've cut a total of about 7 inches since my transition.

Last edited:
I airdry and only use heat for deep conditioning, sometimes. I wear my hair in a variety of styles, but in a bun, often.

meek&quietspirit said:
do you blow dry, press and curl your hair?

Is it still healthy?? If not, what do you do to keep it healthy?

I want to hold on to my length by gradually cutting my permed ends.
My hair was waist length but because it would be too much to deal with new growth/transitioning and that length (for ME) I chopped it to brastrap length. I'm doing cornrows, braids, etc. to grow it out. I KNOW I won't be able to leave it out and transition successfully. I do blow dry before getting it cornrowed or I have a headache cause it's hard to get through. :)

Back