Transitioning and swimming?????

candigyrl0830

Hello ladies! :wave:
I have been transitioning for a little over 7 months now and I am going on a weekend cruise with my SO for my brithday at the end of the month. I had originally planned on getting some senegalese twists so that I can swim freely and not worry about my hair but now,after I just took out some cornrows that I got a couple of weeks ago, I am not so sure that I want to be bothered with braids and cornrows and other extension styles for the rest of this transition. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on what I might be able to do with my hair while on the cruise that I can easily swim in and NOT look crazy when I get out the water.

My hair is about shoulder length when straightened but, honestly, I can't be too sure because its been so long since I have worn it straight. When my hair is wet the new growth draws it up to about chin length so buns don't really work for me. I was considering doing some two strand twists with just my own hair but I know that the relaxed ends would start to unravel after they get wet. I thought that maybe I could remedy that by using some of those rubber bands that claim not to tear hair out on the ends, but I thought that might look wierd. So what do you guys think???? PLEEEEEASE HELP ME!!!!

What about just using some shea butter and putting in some individual plaits using your own hair? I do this and it works out really well. I plait the front fairly small and put a scarf over them, then I pull out the small plaits and pin curl them for bangs. I pull the rest back into a ponytail. That should only take a few hours to do. Once they dry you can take them out for a really cute wavy hairstyle and it lasts through the humidity for a day.

ETA: I have a picture of the plaits in my fotki. The pw is movingtonatural. The pic is when I first tried the style, but now I can get them much neater. Hope this helps!

ETA: I also rolled them once I finished to give them that look in the picture.

Last edited:
Thanks newbeginnings2010! I love the plaits! I am worried that if I plait my hair that it wouldn't look as good since my hair appears to be much shorter and not quite as thick as yours. It is definitely an option though. Anyone else??? C'mon ladies, you guys are some of the most creative ppl I know. I KNOW ya'll got some good ideas!!

Honestly, I would probably go with the extension braids. I swam with my hair "out" at a pool party a few weeks ago and came out looking a HAM. There are pics to prove it, but none I will show here, b/c I'm embarrassed lol. At least try to bun it and put a cornrow or twist on the front if you don't want extensions though.

i'm sorry that happened to you Miss C! I was really hoping to avoid having to get extensions but that may just be my best bet. I don't want to have to worry about my hair while I am supposed to be enjoying my bday. any other ideas ladies?????

@ Candigyrl0830 It's fine lol! I just got back from vacay this weekend and I didnt get a sew in or braids or anything, I just rocked a curly halfwig all weekend and moisturized underneath. How do you feel about half wigs?

I don't mind wigs and it was actually something that i thought about too, I was just worried about being hot under a wig. I was interested in purchasing some curly wigs though. Which one do you have? Any pictures???

I have been wearing the Freetress Creta Girl HW. People will think this is your hair. They will touch it. You have been warned lol.

Attachments

• creta girl.jpg
    creta girl.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 9
Back