Transitioners What Moisturizers Do You Use?

juicy555

I am 10 months post and this time (last time I made it to 7 months) I think I'll keep going and finally transition :yep: . The problem I have is how to successfully moisturize both textures and keep hair moist, shiny, and tame without being greasy. For years I used Neutrogena silk touch leave in on my dry hair, but it's no longer working for me now that I have so much new growth. Don't want oily products to weigh my relaxed hair down, but that new growth jungle needs A LOT of moisture.:wallbash:

What can I get tomorrow that fits the description? Thanks in advance.

Not transitioning but if you do a search for S Curl, you'll see a lot of people find that it helps them with their new growth. I believe they also baggy. If I were transitioning, I wouldn't need any persuasion to try it. I've seen the wonders it does to my 4B hair. I hate oily, greasy hair--which might explain why I use nothing when I'm wearing braids and therefore have my hair touching my neck and face--but I have no problems with S Curl at all. It's not greasy, it's not juice-dripping as in jheri curl days' look, yet my hair never feels dry but stays moist. I believe you do have to baggy nightly to enjoy these benefits. I'll leave it to transitioners that use S Curl to chime in on exactly how they use it. If they don't, please do a search for threads on S Curl and ask somebody. I think S Curl is underrated when it's truly a miracle worker. Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 is similar and a good alternative if you can't stand the smell of S Curl.

I've found that coconut oil and Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme (Darcys Botanicals) work well for me, but I'm still searching for that perfect product.

I may give that S-Curl a try - thanks Nonie...

Herbal Esscence LTR. Then I seal with castor oil. I'm on the lookout for a moisturizer too. I used to use S-curl and it made my hair so soft. I'm going to have to go back to that.

I would never have thought of S Curl cuz yes it does make me think of the dripping jerri curls of the new jack swing days...:lachen:. But I'm going to try that out, thanks Nonie.

Anybody have anything else that they swear by? With all the products out there there's got to be more. I have seen a couple of posts about Darby botanicals. Anyone have success with transitioning with it?

:congrats:congrats on your decision to transition
i use qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream

In my experience I just don't think it's possible to really truly keep your NG moist without having more limp relaxed length. And the S curl.... yuck. The texture of that stuff is just gross on my relaxed hair. It makes my hair dull and stiff. Lately, I've been making my own leave-in using 1 part hydrating conditioner to 3 parts water in a spray bottle, then sealing with coconut oil and evoo. It keeps my NG super soft and shiny but I do have to put my relaxed length in a bun because it's limp. But I'm retaining though. I haven't seen breakage in months.

I use Paul Mitchell the Conditioner, it's extremely moisturizing on my hair. I only use it on wash days though.

During the week I'll use HE Long Term relationship, John Frieda Spray or Herbal Essence Hydralicious mixed with water.

They all work great.

I agree with Nonie. S Curl is great for my transitioning hair. I am only 16 weeks post though, but before using this my new growth felt really dry and crinkly < lol is that a word? I also like S Curl because of the spray nozzle, that way I dont necessarily need to part to moisturize.

I also want to save up and try Qhemet Burdock Root. Other than that I havent found any other really good moisturizers for transitioning hair.

Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
I'm also adding Qhemet Coco Detangling Ghee to the rotation

If I feel like my hair needs something watery, I spray some leave in conditioner on it, been using Phytospecific Optimal hydration mist just bc its what I have laying around.

Back