Transitioners/Naturals Please Tell Me What You Think

trey21

I am 23 weeks into my transition and as far as I can tell it is going well. I stopped by my stylist today to have my eyebrows done and she checked my hair out for me. She said the relaxed part looks like it has shed quite a bit and that it is really thin. I just assumed it looked thin since the roots are so thick and shrunken up. She suggested I go ahead and cut it now. She said I have 4 inches of growth. What do you all think...i'm not oppossed to BC'ing I was just hoping for a longer transition. Is is best to cut it out now? If I don't will it affect my new growth? I'll try and post a pic of it later so you can get a better idea of what I'm working with. TIA.

What are you doing with your hair day to day?
can you post pix? does it look thin to you?

I'm all for a BC (followed by a pic heavy thread here :)) especially if you are not opposed to it.

What are you doing with your hair day to day?
can you post pix? does it look thin to you?

I'm all for a BC (followed by a pic heavy thread here :)) especially if you are not opposed to it.
Whimsy, everyday I put it in a clip or a small bun. I'm in the military so I haven't been able to do much else. It does feel thin but thats just me comparing it to the way my roots feel. I had some breakage and had 2 inches cut off about 2 weeks ago so I thought it was all good for now.

I will definitely post a pic tonight or tomorrow morning

Hey Girl,

You already know my thoughts but remember BC when your ready. Plus (at least in my opinion) the relaxed hair is definetely going to look thinner compared to the new growth as it is two completely different textures.

I agree though, a pic says more, so I will wait for the pic and get back to you.:)

Hey Girl,

You already know my thoughts but remember BC when your ready. Plus (at least in my opinion) the relaxed hair is definetely going to look thinner compared to the new growth as it is two completely different textures.

I agree though, a pic says more, so I will wait for the pic and get back to you.:)
Thats what I'm thinking...maybe it just looks thin compared to the mass of thickness growing out of my head! I'll post a pic after my swim class tonight...thx

The ends will ALWAYS look thin. Especially if you were relaxed bone straight before. If having the relaxed length is necessary for you to continue bunning I would say keep it for now, and just monitor the situation. You know your hair best. :yep:

I found that if I flatironed, you couldn't tell the different between the textures so that told me that it just looked so much thinner b/c of what it was being compared to.

Thanks Soliel, I am going to flat iron it tonight and see what condition it is in...I'll post pics of it once I'm done.

Girl, I dunno. It's iffy with stylists sometimes. I need to see the pics before I can offer an opinion. My hair looks very thin straightened, but in braidouts or curled, it's very full. Some of these may be an option to you during your transition as well without a BC, but again I need to see the pics-

I think you should do what is best for YOU. If you are going to cut it eventually, who cares what shape the relaxed hair is in? Especially if you're in the military and wearing a bun is essential.

My hair was relaxed bone straight before I started my transition, and my relaxed hair looks extremely thin compared to my new growth....ridiculously thin really, but I just flat ironed and my hair blends well and looks good to me....I wet bun every day as well. My siggy pic is an updated flat iron pic. I just think your relaxed hair looks thinner compared to your new growth. Don't cut if you're not ready to BC yet. HTH!

Just repeating the same things ladies have said above - my relaxed hair looks so thin compared to my new growth when my hair's wet but once it's dry, it's not too bad and when I do my curly hairstyle, I don't even notice a difference in the thickness.

You have to BC when you're ready and even though you have 4 inches in one area, it might be 3 or less in another.

You should BC when you're ready, but I would do it at 6 inches. Then, the hair in the back will reach SL, and you will be NL everywhere else. But if you're still not ready at 6, keep transitioning until you are!

Back