Transitioners..former relaxers who no longer relax

naturallygoldie

I just made two years post on the 16th :drunk: but lately, every time I see a relaxer kit (I get the urge to buy it) and when I see someone getting a touch up at the salon..I have to stop myself from staring :blush:

I once heard that relaxing is addictive....is this my very light version of DTs? Once an addict always an addict? * like the ladies who have gone from relaxer to natural to relaxer..to natural*

Weird, yea I know. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm not sure what that means for you or if it's symptomatic of a lightweight "addiction." Could be! I just don't know.

But I'm a little over a year post and I haven't gotten the urge at all to relax. Matter of fact, I haven't even gotten the urge to straighten my hair via any method at all. I'm in LOVE with my coils and have been daydreaming about BCing before my two year mark.

I am over 2 years post (another year to go til BC), and I never even pay attention to relaxers. I wasn't a frequent relaxer in the past, anyways. My natural 12+ inches look much better than my relaxed hair ever did, so no, I have no attraction to relaxers at all.

I'm almost 16 months into my long transition (yay!) and I'm not experiencing a desire to return to relaxing. However, lately, I've had a slight desire to b.c. which comes and goes. I'm sure some transitioners and newly naturals have experienced what you are experiencing. All I can say is keep the strength. You didn't go two years to return, did you?

At 2.5 years+ post, no, can't say I've had those types of feelings, maybe because once I decide I want to do sthg that's it. If I were having those types of feelings, I'd think about how far I'd come and would I want to do it all over again, and reevaluate my decision. If anything, the sight of relaxer would make me rejoice in not having to worry about t/u,protein treatments, not scratching, etc.

This month makes 2 years since my last relaxer and I have not had a desire or urge to relax. However, I will say that I have had the desire to see my hair long, straight and frizz/reversion free (which I can't seem to achieve with flat ironing). So my desire is more of a....I wish I could wrinkle my nose "I dream of Genie" style and get my hair straight for a week or so and then go back to my kinky curls. :lachen: IJS!

I get the urge all the time. Just did my big chop saturday. I am loving being able to wash and go. But my hair poofs HUGE.

uploadfromtaptalk1314045836022.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

I've been transitioning for over a year and yes I absolutely still get the urge to relax..probably every other week. I take it one day at a time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my curls and how thick and big my hair can get but I also really love my hair straight. It's taking me a bit of time to get used to seeing my face with curly hair again. I'm coming around.

My relaxed hair never thrived, so I never get the urge to relax. I'm 15 months post and I only get the urge to bc lol.

Sent from my PC36100

I'm almost 16 months into my long transition (yay!) and I'm not experiencing a desire to return to relaxing. However, lately, I've had a slight desire to b.c. which comes and goes. I'm sure some transitioners and newly naturals have experienced what you are experiencing. All I can say is keep the strength. You didn't go two years to return, did you?

This is me. I think I'd kick myself if I went back to relaxing--not so much for giving in to the creamy crack, but asking myself WHY I spent 2 years (well 1.5, really) in this crazy transitional state when I could have been enjoying long, easy-to-manage relaxed hair (at dizzying lengths)? LOL at this point it would truly be a waste, since I've been trimming and my length is basically the same, maybe a couple of inches longer. I've got to see this thing through! Although, if I get to goal (2 years post before BC), and it ain't workin? Welll...it be callin' me, man!

I'm still kicking myself for my last relaxer. If I hadn't relaxed last November, I would be 14 months post instead of 9 months post... and I would have been 11 months post when I BC'd.

Cherokee-n-Black: You didn't see my attachment?? LOL! That's the only one I have so far. I have to take some more. I am going to warn you...I look at H.A.M! BUT...I am loving the curls but now I am searching for products that will tame the beast that is my curly 4a/b hair! LOL! Because I am at work today looking like Who-Dunnit-And-Why!! :lachen:

Melody.Monroe...um...no. I think my computer has issues with pics!

ETA: On a different computer -- Girl, it looks good! You are not your usual glammed up self, but you look great! Congrats on the BC...I'm still working up the nerve--New Year's Eve 2011/2012!

Last edited:

I feel the same. Not the urge to relax but to cut off all my texlaxed hair. :yep:

After a few years of being natural, I went back to a relaxer in 06. My hair looked good relaxed, but I had more fun as a natural. Relaxed hair came to be so boring, dull, and I couldn't do the big poofy styles like I used to. I stopped relaxing in September 09 and haven't had the urge since.

when i see really nice relaxed hair i have the urge and when my hair is being annoying i think of how nice it would be to be tangle free.

but it's only a passing thought i've been transitioning too long and part of the reason i'm transitioning was i was just over relaxed hair.

when i see really nice relaxed hair i have the urge and when my hair is being annoying i think of how nice it would be to be tangle free.

THIS!

Right now I'm having a rough time with my transition and thinking about how nice it would be to have a relaxer back in . . . but I've never gone so long without one (5 months - hey, it's a milestone for me :lol:) so I'd hate to have to start all over again.

@Melody.Monroe...um...no. I think my computer has issues with pics!

ETA: On a different computer -- Girl, it looks good! You are not your usual glammed up self, but you look great! Congrats on the BC...I'm still working up the nerve--New Year's Eve 2011/2012!

Cherokee-n-Black: Oh noooooo! LOL! :lachen:Please don't think that I walk around glammed up! I am cutesy like 5% of my life. I be in chill mode 95% of the time and so does my hair. I just have to put good pics up so that yall don't think that I'm a pure Ragga-Muffin!! Bahahahaha! Lmaoo!

Sometimes I want to wear my hair straight just to see the progress but in these summers it's a no go. I don't get the urge to relax though. Maybe flat iron but I don't like the thought of not being able to go back to my kinks. They are just so soft and cushy. I'd miss the massive size and the thickness. That relaxer kit reminds me of getting plastic surgery. I mean, look at Joan Rivers. She's DONE! lol. There's no coming back from that. I kid. I kid. But really I really dig my hair because it works for me. It's my boo boo.

I used to get the urge to BC all the time, so I was mini chopping like crazy. When I want my hair straight I go get it blown out at the Dominican salon. That's rare though because my hair straightens very easily and I'm afraid of heat damage. Besides, after a day or two bone straight I miss my curls.

I've been back and forth with relaxers. I'm currently 11 months into what I hope, is my 3rd and final transition. What made me go back to relaxing before (and what tempts me now) was (is) not so much the look, but the perceived ease of straight hair. Being able to run a comb through my hair without hitting any snags and 5 minute detangling sessions aren't something that I can do with my natural texture. I'm not saying that textured hair is difficult, because overall I think natural hair is lower maintenance; but it does, at times, require more time and effort. So, when I was impatient with dealing with the two textures, I would just say "frigg it" and go back to what I perceived as the easier option.

This month makes 2 years since my last relaxer and I have not had a desire or urge to relax. However, I will say that I have had the desire to see my hair long, straight and frizz/reversion free (which I can't seem to achieve with flat ironing). So my desire is more of a....I wish I could wrinkle my nose "I dream of Genie" style and get my hair straight for a week or so and then go back to my kinky curls. :lachen: IJS!

In order for me to have a really nice flatiron, I MUST DC with a moisturizing condish and rollerset...then flatiron using chi silk infusion like one would use pressing cream. I take a dab of chi and work it really well into the section before I flatiron (sedu at 340). After I'm done, I lightly oil my roots and ends w/coconut oil and then wrap it without pins. I put a scarf on it...straight hair for atleast a week thru sweat and humidty.:yep:

I get the urge all the time. Just did my big chop saturday. I am loving being able to wash and go. But my hair poofs HUGE.

View attachment 122625

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

Whew. Goodie..i'm not the only one! I luuurves how my natural hair is coming in and how manageable it is. To relax it now would be :nono: it makes no sense...but there's this urge???? My relaxed hair was healthy but this hair that's growing out my scalp :lick:! who knew? It's much more versatile. If I went natural when my co worker said I should I wouldn't be in this predicament lol

After a few years of being natural, I went back to a relaxer in 06. My hair looked good relaxed, but I had more fun as a natural. Relaxed hair came to be so boring, dull, and I couldn't do the big poofy styles like I used to. I stopped relaxing in September 09 and haven't had the urge since.

yo go girl! I'm hoping this is just a momentary thing and subsides soon.

I haven't relaxed in over a year and I big chopped May of last year. I love wearing my hair natural and will never go back to relaxing and I do not get the urge to go back to relaxing. I use to feel like relaxing was a need for managing my hair better but my feelings are completely opposite of that now. In my opinion it seems to be an individual and personal decision that makes us want to or not want to relax, but we can relate to one another. One thing I did while i was relaxed was ask myself, why i felt the need to relax my hair, And when i became natural and got to know and love my new hair i asked myself that same question. But i feel very comfortable with natural hair and don't plan to relax again.

I transitioned for about three years and have been completely natural since April 2010, I believe (don't keep track anymore) and YES, I still get the urge to relax- especially when I have a serious detangling session. When I feel the urge for bone straight, I bkt. It gives me my straight hair fix and wears off in a couple of months. I know everyone's hair is different, but I haven't had any negative experiences. I'm proud of being a wl+ natural and while sometimes I want to relax, I like being an...exception(?) for lack of a better term. I like seeing people's faces when they realize this hair is mine and relaxer-free :lol:.

Last edited:
THIS!

Right now I'm having a rough time with my transition and thinking about how nice it would be to have a relaxer back in . . . but I've never gone so long without one (5 months - hey, it's a milestone for me :lol:) so I'd hate to have to start all over again.

Don't do it!!!!! I'd be 14 months post right now if I hadn't given in to my urge to relax!:nono:

Back