Transitioners Club

Not transitioning anymore but when I did I had short relaxed hair to begin with, so maybe that made it less difficult. I just styled my hair in cornrows and braids for nearly a year and kept the hair well conditioned before I cut off the 4 or 5 inches of relaxed hair. I didn't suffer much hair breakage either. HTH!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
nita4 said:
I'm only seven weeks into this so my real test won't come until 13 weeks, but I'm doing braidouts for now. I also do rollerset and updos. I haven't tried a henna treatment yet, anxiously awaiting for my products to help loosen this curl after 13 weeks. Best to you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My challenge begins on Monday, beg. of Week 6!!!! By this week, I'm normally itching for a relaxer touch up and my hair textures are stark in contrast. I plan to get hennaphelic, at the encouragement of Amethyst...

Laela,

Good luck on your challenge!! Remember if all else fails you will be able to see how long you can extend your relaxer touch ups or you can always go back to relaxing. I'm now at eight weeks and it's no problem because the longest I've waited has been 13 weeks. So, that is how I know when my real challenge will begin. I haven't received my products yet, but will post my results on the Henna thread. My first goal is to build up the health of my hair. Best of Luck to you.

Thank you, Nita, for the encouragement... and best of luck2U as well.... I'll look out for your henna story in that thread. I'm still reading it!
laugh.gif

Daughter,

I just saw your album.. GOD your hair's healthily gorgeous!!!! Love the twists and that 'fro.. and lenghth and such sheeen!!!!

OK, I'll calm down.
drunk.gif

Just wanted to chine in.
My last relaxer was around the end of August 2002.

I have been wearing braid extension ala C&amp;G method. since then. I have about 5 inches of new growth in my head and a lot of badly damaged relaxed hair.

The next time I get my braids out (end of May) I'll trim off all relaxer and do the henna treatments to strengthen. soften and moisturize my hair.

At that point, I'll decide whether to go back to braids or wear my hair out during the summer. The only reason I wouldn't is because we swim everyday during the summer, and I would worry about styling and chlorine.

Suggestions ladies about summer care chlorine ans swimming?

I can't wait for the 4th of July to come. I want to wear a head full of twists to my family reunion.

You guys I couldn't do it.... I relaxed my hair,, I had stopped relaxing in Jan and I just recently started taking biotin.vits. and doing the tips recommended on the hair board. I got so much new growth I was tempted to find out how long it really was... I got over 2 and a half inches in less than 2 months!!!! I've never thought my hair could grow that fast! I'm so happy! thanks thanks thanks to all the tips from everyone at LHCF! Now I just have to try to get back to seeing how long I can go this time without relaxer.... lord help me

Hello everyone,

I was transitioning until yesterday, I cut all my permed hair off. I wanted to get some feedback on daily routine I should follow on my hair. I've been using the Suave conditioner Awaupi, to wash my hair and I put bubble up styling pudding with thermasilk leave-in spray, and my texture of hair is wave at top &amp; kinda spring curls in the back. Should I wash my hair everyday to do this or is there a specific routine to follow, any info would be helpful.

Congratulations on your transition Shoodrat!
weird.gif
weird.gif
My last relaxer was 3 wks ago, so I,m just now thinking of transitioning. I,m fairly new to the board, but I,ve read of others using coconut oil to straighten new growth. It seems that some people swear by it! I am currently doing bantu knots at night and taking them out in the morning. I love the look! This will be my first time going natural since my first perm about 20yrs ago. Good luck to all you ladies, and please wish me luck too!
blush.gif
But I think I'll be okay with all the excellent knowledge I've gained since reading the boards!
trampoline.gif

Check out the threads on Henna, Hennalucent and Milk/Coconut Milk for the hair.

I've incorporated the milk and Hennalucent into my routine. Both of these naturally straighten out your new growth a little so your hair is not as prone to breakage while you are transitioning.

Hi BlkMane
wave.gif
I'm thinking of transitioning the same way and have incorporated the Hennalucent into my regimen. I think the Hennalucent is great for mild protein conditioning, strengthening(sp) the hair, debulking new growth, loosening the curl and extending relaxer touch ups!!

How's everyone doing w/ their transitioning? Who got their hair cut? who's wearing braids? Anyone found a new tip that's doing wonders?

I know ngaa successfully took out her micros and is enjoying her new growth...
clap.gif
yeah for you, ngaa!

I'm scheduled to put my braids in next week; the only thing stopping me from whacking all this relaxed hair off is it'll limited me to shorter braids.. argh...
mad.gif
. I forgot how challenging the two-texture phase is !

Hello,

I stopped relaxing in May 2001. I did the big chop this past September so I guess my transition is technically over.

The no-poo routine helped me tremendously as well as using olive oil, and good conditioners like Elucense Moisture Balance, Aussie Moist, Keracare Humecto and Clairol Renewal 5x Replenishing.

I must say that I absolutely love my natural texture and I am so thankful to not have to deal with two textures of hair anymore.

when my hair is not in braids i twist my hair then coil it around (securing it w/ bobbi pins) i sleep pn them and take it our wheneva im 'bout to go out it comes out really nice
i also trim my own ends wheneva it take out my braids i cut of 'bout an inch of my relaxed hair

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Elyse said:
Hello,

I stopped relaxing in May 2001. I did the big chop this past September so I guess my transition is technically over.

The no-poo routine helped me tremendously as well as using olive oil, and good conditioners like Elucense Moisture Balance, Aussie Moist, Keracare Humecto and Clairol Renewal 5x Replenishing.

I must say that I absolutely love my natural texture and I am so thankful to not have to deal with two textures of hair anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gawd, the day I get 20 inches of natural hair like you.. uhhhhn!!

I'm new to the forum, and just took my weave out last week I'm now letting my hair grow out. I have many question about careing for the new growth. I moisturize each day but my roots (new growth) is always so dry. The part of my hair that is still relaxed take the moisturizer fine but not the new growth. Most of my questions have been answered by all of you. Thanks a bunch. I had my last relaxer in February 2003
newbie.gif

I guess I'm a transitioner. I haven't touched up since September, 2002 and I don't seem to be able to dial my stylist, so I'm guess I'm going all the way.
I'm having fun with my two-textured hair right now. I am doing straw sets, nubian knots (to set the hair) and whatever else I can think of. The two-textures didn't really stand out until recently. Then I began to use pure avocado oil for moisture and the milk idea to loosen up the curl at the roots. It must be working. My mother-in-law (strictly old school), asked me if I had gone to the salon recently!
drunk.gif
(As if I had the time...)

Recently I've been using Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream on my damp hair for braid-outs. Comes out really cute. In fact, my hair is only mildly relaxed and this cream enhances curl so well that I think that I could just apply a ton to damp hair WITHOUT braiding and I would still get good curls.

I'm going to try that next.

Ye haw! I have finally decided to give up those nasty chemicals. My last relaxer was for easter but, my hair grows really fast so I have like an inch and a half of new growth. I dont see any scab hair. My new growth is really soft. I cant wait until it all grows out.

Ill keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks for the support.

I'm putting my braids back in in the next week or so.

I am determined to go at least 1 year without chemicals.

My ultimnate goal is to get enough for a really nice pony puff and then decide what I want to do with my hair. If I can get my hair to grow about an inch a month, then by October, I just may be making that decision.

I am enjoying my nautral hair, but am leaving the relaxed ends on for right now.

I'll probably cut them off at the end of July depending on howmuch my hair grows between now and then.

whew.. I'm holding on and saving $$$$

I've just graduated from a straight drawstring phonytail to an afro puff drawstring (my wet hair was gelled w/ Feels Like Silk and regular, clear gel). My deep waves are nice... I really like the look. At a cost of $20 (products and afropuff).. it's a bargain but looks like I went to the shop. My sisters were impressed and that means alot b/c they're some critical folks when it comes to hair..
laugh.gif

In the past month, I'd worn a cornrowed style (a ala Lil 'Mo). I've yet to actually put in my single braids.

This is a hard thing for me to do. I have been back and forth so many times. Relax or not relax. My husband hates it! He was used to the short bone straight bob I had been sporting for the first 8 years of marraige. He is making it hard but I am hanging in there. I decided to try natural because it seemed like I was going back and forth with the relaxed hair(grow break break grow). Not to mention I was putting out $70.00 + a pop every four weeks. Something had to give. I have been in the transition phase since December of 2002 and have gained a total of about 2 1/2 to 3 inches except for the back kitchen area. I have been coping by braiding and pressing my hair but I am looking for other alternatives to all the added heat. If I can last at least 2 years that would be wonderful. My first goal is shoulder length hair!

I would like an application for the Transitioner's Club please. It is the healthiest option. I just cut my hair anyway so like Daughter, the "big chop" for me won't be that big. I am already in braids. I am going to leave braids in for at least the rest of the year and go from there. I will still need to chop at some point but I want to have a workable amount of natural hair first. My last relaxer was in March 2003.

My last relaxer was July 2, 2001 because the stylist I had been going to every two weeks for two years was a know-it-all. I had NO hair in the back of my head and when I asked her why, she told me it just didn't grow back there. I have had this head for a long time and I knew that wasn't true. So, I started getting my hair cornrowed with a pony tail on top. Although the style was extremely cute, the 14 year old braider was NOT gentle, rude, ungrateful, moody and thought she knew everything too! I switched to her mother who just became evasive, so I couldn't get it done. I had it pressed and curled which looked WONDERFUL the first day, I thought he used wayyyy tooo much heat between the blowdryer, hooded dryer and hot comb, it was all too much. But, that night my hair was blowin in the wind! Oh how I love that! I didn't maintain that style well at all so I went to the crown and glory method.

I used to braid my hair as a teenager because it cost too much to get it done by someone else all the time. The problem was I didn't take care of my hair at all. Now I am much better at it and have been keeping my hair moist lately. I only spray my hair at night because I wear a plastic cap at night and so it's still moist in the morning.

I take vegetal silica, dr.'s best msm, pp biotin, pp mega b-50 and a host of other things I think will help in my growth. Nothing spectacular so far.

I tried the hennalucent and that didn't get my extremely easily tangled hair any less tangly. But, I didn't expect much from the first treatment. Next time I will do a hot oil treatment first (as I read this helps to detangle), use 100% henna in ebony because I think jet black hair will look good with my complexion.

At any rate, I think I will be out of braids at the end of this year. I already bought a flat iron and New Image Damage free conditoner. I will try the coconut milk (already bought some with a lime) straightener in a few weeks when I redo my braids.

I'm not quite sure how long my hair is or how much it has grown. It was touching my shoulders last year when I had it pressed. I noticed little hairs all over my shirt, so I mostly wore it up in one of those claw things. I just want it long enough not to swish back and forth over my shoulders causing breakage. Then again, with all of the coating I am planning on doing with henna, maybe that will be a problem of the past!

Happy hair growing!

Back