Transition from Lye to No-lye

BeautifulFlower

I think I've been convinced to transition from lye to no-lye. Back in the day I used no-lye until my salon transitioned me to lye for the following year or so. I think I want to go back. My hair is thick now but it felt and looked even thicker back then. I'll just get a chelate removing shampoo for the chemical deposits.

Has anyone done this before, go back to no-lye? If so, what should I keep in mind when transitioning back?

Shamboosie said if you're going to use a perm do NOT use No-lye as it drys and damages your hair more than any other type of relaxer but err yeah.

I chelated my hair just like you and did my touch-up no problems. My hair cannot take a lye it gets stringy, underprocessed and sheds like nobody's bizness ( I've tried Mizani, Affirm, Vitale) went back to ORS No-lye and my has thrived ever since. I am a deep conditioning fool, never had any problems, my focus is on healthy hair, not length so much. That's why I love this board, it has changed my hair around, it's luscious(sp?) now.

Everthing don't work for everybody, listen to your hair and use the knowledge that is here and you will be just fine. There are some "gawguss" heads of hair on here that use no-lye, try doing a search and stalking some fotki's if you need some visual encouragement.

Be Blessed

Why do you want to switch back, is there a certain relaxer you miss or something.

My hair always comes out underprocessed. Which to be honest I dont mind but it means I may have to do a corrective later to even out overthickness. I want to try just for me no-lye again but I opted out. I'll finish this Mizani over here and then maybe move back to lye.

Shamboosie said if you're going to use a perm do NOT use No-lye as it drys and damages your hair more than any other type of relaxer but err yeah.

Thats understandable. However, I can think of 3 mid-back to waist length heads on this board that are no-lye users (Traycee, Sylver2, and MarisopaSexy(sp?)). Marisopa also has the shine I love. I am sure there are ways to alleviate the dryness and reduce the damage.

I chelated my hair just like you and did my touch-up no problems. My hair cannot take a lye it gets stringy, underprocessed and sheds like nobody's bizness ( I've tried Mizani, Affirm, Vitale) went back to ORS No-lye and my has thrived ever since. I am a deep conditioning fool, never had any problems, my focus is on healthy hair, not length so much. That's why I love this board, it has changed my hair around, it's luscious(sp?) now.

Everthing don't work for everybody, listen to your hair and use the knowledge that is here and you will be just fine. There are some "gawguss" heads of hair on here that use no-lye, try doing a search and stalking some fotki's if you need some visual encouragement.

Be Blessed

Thanks for the encouragement. This last relaxer I punked out and did my regular Mizani lye. Front came out good, back a bit underprocessed. Sigh. Its ok though, I retain more thickness this way. Im liking the way my hair lays now.

I went from using a lye and switched to no lye. I did it because I wasnt pleased with how straight my hair was getting with the lye. I ma using no lye and I dont notice much of a difference. I guess my hair is just resistant.

I make sure I use a chelating poo at least once a month and the neutralzing poo I use is a chelating one as well. My hair is very dry but I had that issue even with the lye.

Gosh...thats does bring some perspective. Maybe I should just be happy with what I have. It didnt burn this time either. I added alot of olive oil.
I went from using a lye and switched to no lye. I did it because I wasnt pleased with how straight my hair was getting with the lye. I ma using no lye and I dont notice much of a difference. I guess my hair is just resistant.

I make sure I use a chelating poo at least once a month and the neutralzing poo I use is a chelating one as well. My hair is very dry but I had that issue even with the lye.

Gosh...thats does bring some perspective. Maybe I should just be happy with what I have. It didnt burn this time either. I added alot of olive oil.

Everyone's hair is different. I have very coarse hair, which has low porosity. Meaning it very reisistant to relaxers and moisturizer and conditioners. I honestly think my hair is in the minority.:ohwell:

So the no lye might work for you.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I've always been relaxed with no-lye and I switched to lye when I started growing my hair out because I kept reading it was better. I've been using lye for the past 2 years and it's ok. I use Arosci and it doesn't get my hair as straight but I thought that was better too. Now, I'm not so sure. I definitely have more tangling and my hair isn't as smooth. But it's also the longest it's ever been. I don't know if it's the relaxer or just the overhaul of my regimen. I would really like to go back to no-lye because my hair was more manageable with it but I feel like I'm stuck with lye forever. I was thinking about trying Silk Elements no-lye. I don't know what to do.

I recently switched from Mizani lye to Hawiian silky no mix no lye which is a lithuim hydroxide relaxer so mineral build up isn't an isse.

I recently switched from Mizani lye to Hawiian silky no mix no lye which is a lithuim hydroxide relaxer so mineral build up isn't an isse.

How do you like your hair processed? I read the product description and it said to leave it on no longer than 10 minutes. I want something that will leave me nice and straight. Thanks in advance.

Back