Transition and going to the stylist

Did you stop going to the stylist once you started transitioning?

• Yes. I stopped going to the stylist

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No. I did not let transitioning stop me from getting my hair done profresionally

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmhuggiebear

Since school is over and I'm home from college for the summer I figured that now would be best time to start my transitioning journey. However, I was wondering how many of you went to the stylist during your transitioning period.

I was thinking about not going to my stylist anymore once i start my transitioning just because I am afraid of hearing ridicule about how I need to be relaxed. I also think it would be must cheaper to stop. But then I started realizing that upkeep of my hair may be a little more difficult if I don't go to the stylist during this period.

So did many of you disconitinue going to the professionals once transitioning or did you not let transitiong stop you from going?

Well for me I fired my hair stylist and started checking other transitioners hair styles/tips and all. I have been transitioning for 8months now and I must tell you that I have had my bad hair days more then when I had my perm on. Transitioning is not a pretty thing, I do take super extra care for my hair but somehow my NG doesn't agree with my permed hair and so they are breaking off.

Yet I wont go for a hair stylist or a bc anytime soon. I'd say get to know your hair first and take this period as try-out for products and treatments. See what works on your hair and what doesn't, believe me no one will know how to deal with your hair in a healthy manner more then you do after studying your hair :) Good luck dear

I think that you can continue to go to your stylist if your stylist is willing to help you with your transition. But from my experience, my new growth has thrived since I stopped going to my stylist. I mentioned to my stylist of 5 years that I was considering to go natural and she tried her best to convince me to continue to relax. I don't know if this was because she thought that she would lose a customer or if she is against clients going natural but I could tell from her tone that she would not be supportive of my decision.

I went to my stylist to get my last relaxer in August of 08 and I have only been back three times since then, with my visit for graduation a couple of weeks ago being my LAST time going to her salon. From the moment I walked in the salon she had this really nasty attitude and when I sat down at her chair she said "Now what do you expect me to do with this?" Throughout my entire appointment she kept saying how she didn't understand why I would want to go natural and that I would damage my hair by transitioning.

I have absolutely no breakage at my demarcation line and I have almost 5 inches of new growth. Clearly I'm doing something right and I have saved TONS of money by doing my hair.

Long story short: If you have a stylist who supports you and understands the transitioning stage, then go for it. I just got tired of the side comments.

I've been transitioning for nearly 15 months now and I don't think I could have done it without the help of my stylist. She's been quite supportive and helpful, especially in times of emergencies and special occasions. This past semester, I started to rely on her more and would get my hair flati-ironed about every 3 weeks or so but would give my hair breaks by wearing cornrows for 2 weeks at a time. Right now, I'm trying to stop using direct heat as much.

My point is that having a good and supportive stylist can help you overcome those bad hair days/weeks:spinning:... How long have you been transitioning? I would agree with NubianCurls that you should take some time to get acquainted with your ng and experiment with different styles if you are in the beginning stages of your transition.

The problem is that they don't handle the hair gently enough with a lot of NG. They tear through it with a fine tooth comb from root to end and get it all tangled when they shampoo it. I say go at your own risk.

I've stopped going to my stylist because she's very fond of me BCing, and I know she'll cut more than I want or convince me to either BC or cut more than I need or want. She specializes in caring for relaxed hair, so I'm a little weary of going to her with my natural hair. So I'm now officially completely DIY at 22 weeks post.

When I told my stylist I was thinking about transitioning, she said 'Let's do it!' That was 6 months ago and I couldn't be doing this well without her. She had natural clients already and now half the shop is transitioning. If your stylist is suportive, DO IT! If she just rolls her eyes and sucks her teeth, read all you can on this board, buddy up with someone on this board, look around for a natural stylist that will help and keep going as far as you can.

I still go to my stylists during my transitioning (have been the entire time and still am). One has relaxed hair, but has several natural clients. I've known her for almost 19 years, and I love the way she treats my hair. The other is natural, so she knows all about the transitioning stuff.

Thanks for all the responses girls. It is much appreciated. Since most of you say that if my stylist is supportive I should keep going, I think what I'm going to do is go to the stylist next week and bring up the transitioning. If i get positive responses that I will continue going, if not than I will stop.

I'm honestly still in the deciding factor of whether or not i want to transistion right now. Just one day I realized that I hadn't has a relaxer in nearly 3 months and its about time to get one now but I figured now be the right time to transition. I'm also debating whether or not I should do it now because I want to make sure that I am absolutely sure that I know what products work best for me right now. So far elucence and other natural products work wonders in my hair but I'm still trying to see if there is something better. So maybe this month will be the last month I relax and than from that point on I will transition.

I know for sure my stylist would be entirely too rough on my hair trying to get to the next customer. I rarely go to a stylist only for trims or cuts. But I haven't been in over a year now. I would really have to search for one that understands the transition process and would be extra gentle with my hair. But for now, I'm doing it all on my own.

I stopped going to the stylist over a year and a half ago... once I decided to take better care of my hair, I learned everything (apart from trimming, which I'm going to learn how to do) - rollersets, braidout, other style options, airdrying, etc...

Since I started taking care of my hair, I've been to a stylist:
1. December 2007 (trim)
2. May 2008 (trim)
3. December 2008 (trim which had to be a cut due to some damage from overprocessing)

So, as a transitioner, I am staying far away from stylists who will not handle my 2 textures with the same care I do. There might be some stylists out there who can take good care of my hair but I am used to taking care of my hair and don't think I need a stylist... for now.

I'll be a bridesmaid at a wedding on Saturday, I'll have to go to my sister's stylist and I plan to get a rollerset (but I'm not sure if she'll complan about my 2 inches of new growth... I'll see). I don't think I'll go to a stylist until my BC day...

I'm going on 3 years into my transition (I'm not feeling a BC), and the first 6-8 months of my transition, I went to stylist weekly. I've since cut back...alot. I go now once every 6-8 weeks. I've learned to rollerset my hair or wear natural styles that hide my straighter/relaxed ends.

Honestly, I dont think it's a good idea to transition in the summer just because it's more frustrating. Most of your hair is straight, so you'll need striaghter styles but your roots will be so puffy.

Either way, GOOD LUCK!

Good Luck! All the ladies have wonderful suggestions. Currently, I'm doing something...not sure if I want to call it transitioning....but I have about 1 1/2 inches of new growth and so far my regimine is pretty simple.....wash, condition (protein or moisture depending on the week), cornrow wet (using a detanling spray), and air dry. Every night, I apply activator and castor oil on my ends and I'm rocking a cap weave. Sor far so good. Just a suggestion but the ladies are right...summer is quickly approaching so you could do braids for a while and interview new stylist who understand what you are trying to accomplish

Everyone has great suggestions. When I decided to go natural my stylist at the time was very supportive. I let her cut about 2-3 inches of hair and she did a great job at flatironing my hair. You couldn't even see the two hair types. I did realize that going to her would be difficult because I lived 22 miles away so I became a DIY'er out of necessity and also because I realized I only had long/healthy hair when I did it myself.

OP, If she can help you then go to her. You still need to learn how to take care of your own hair so take this opportunity to do it now. Mummysgirl, I'm a DIYer too and I made my decision to transition in 2007 and since then I've only gone to a stylist maybe 4 times in those two years.

All you ladies are giving me such great feedback. So far with the suggestions I got from everyone, i think I might just wait to transition till the fall since most of you say its harder in the summer. I will also go to my stylist and see what she says about transitiong and go from there. Thank again for all the help... As always more comments are always welcome.

i am 100% self-dependent and love it. i know my hair so much better now. and i keep money in my pocket. i am a college student too girl and it helps A LOT with keeping my bank account stable lol

Ask your stylist if she's comfortable doing your hair while you are transitioning. My stylist, or former stylist, told me that she wasn't comfortable doing my hair in that state. I gladly thanked her for her honest and will go back to her to get my hair trimmed in the future.

All stylists aren't comfortable handling oodles of NG so it's important that you find out before sitting in the chair. I would suggest researching a great natural stylist that can aide in your transition. Again, research is key to finding a good stylist. Don't be afraid of them!

You are responsible for your own hair, so speak up if you don't like what you're seeing. Take your own combs and products if you like. My mom does this and has never had a problem. Good luck!

I went three times..the first was to let a professional straighten it which was a waste because it drew up in my sleep...the second was also to straighten but get a trim....the third was my bc...:)

I haven't been to a stylist since I began transitioning. I like getting to know my hair and what products and styling tools work for my hair. If I'm not happy with the way my hair turns out then I do something different next time.

I agree with the others who said to look for a helpful and supportive stylist if you want to visit a stylist while you transition. Make sure you find a stylist who will be gentle with your hair, especially when combing.

Back