Towel pat hair before applying conditioner?

I was wondering this recently because I noticed at the hairdressers, after rinsing out the shampoo and you sit up in the chair, often they'll lightly pat the hair with a towel before then putting in the conditioner. Do you think they do this because the excess water would dilute the conditioner making it less potent?

I know this sounds a bit anal asking but I just wondered
laugh.gif

Usually at home I just squeeze reallllly hard to get out the water and then put the conditioner on but the last time I did very lightly pat dry with the towel first.

Okay, this is a random post/thought but thought I'd ask...

I squeeze the excess water out with my towel, but I don't towel dry my hair. There are still some drips when I apply my conditioner, then my cap.

BRH, it could be that they think it dilutes the conditioner but it could also be that they don't want to get you drenching wet when they sit you up under a dryer or whatever.

From my little knowledge on hair, I don't think water in your hair would dilute the conditioner and make it less effective. It might drain away with the excess water instead of staying put on your hair and doing its work (which means if you're doing a protein conditioning, the conditioner may not cover the hair uniformly coz it's "flowing" off the higher sections to the lower). But other than that, I think the towel patting is just an alternative to squeezing out the water. And I know I subconsciously squeeze water out before applying so the conditioner can stay put when I apply it.

When using Nexxus's Humatress on my daugther - after towel drying her hair seemed a little over conditioned. Super soft almost mushy and dull, someone - I think on the board or something I read suggested not towel drying it...just squeeze the water out and apply the conditioner.. since doing that I have not had that dull mushy feel to my daughters.

thanks everyone. I think I'll stick to what I know or rather am used to: thoroughly squeezing the water out minus the towel. I think as long as the hair isn't drenched wet then its fine.

Thanks for answering my random thought!

I don't towel dry either. I stay in the shower and lightly squeeze out a bit of the water and then apply the conditioner. Otherwise, I'd never be able to comb the conditioner through.

I do think that's why they do it. I'm sure that they learned that in Beauty School. That's fundamental information
smile.gif

I don't use a towel on my hair. I squeeze a little of the water out (keeping it a bit soaked) and then apply my conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I don't use a towel on my hair. I squeeze a little of the water out (keeping it a bit soaked) and then apply my conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do most of the times, though I usually squeeze all of the water out. I'm going to start leaving some in.
smile.gif

I do a gentle sqeeze then I'll cover my hair with a towel just until I get out of the shower. Once i'm in front of the mirror then I'll remove the towel, drape it across my back (to catch further drips) & proceed with my leave in, etc. I cover with a towel just long enough for the towel to absorb the drips. I can't stand a wet bathroom floor
mad.gif

The hair underneath is still plenty wet... I must say that my leave in works soo much better too. Prolly cuz it isn't as diluted
scratchchin.gif

Heh, I never get out of the shower BEFORE applying conditioner. I swear, it's b/c I'm too afraid to see what my hair looks like before it's been conditioned!!
smile.gif

I always squeeze the water out AND blot the excess with a towel; then I put my conditioner in. Otherwise it gets too drippy, and it runs out of the plastic cap & starts running down my neck (especially if you're using a conditioner with a thinner type consistency).

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree said:
I do a gentle sqeeze then I'll cover my hair with a towel just until I get out of the shower. Once i'm in front of the mirror then I'll remove the towel, drape it across my back (to catch further drips) & proceed with my leave in, etc. I cover with a towel just long enough for the towel to absorb the drips. I can't stand a wet bathroom floor
mad.gif

The hair underneath is still plenty wet... I must say that my leave in works soo much better too. Prolly cuz it isn't as diluted
scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops
fishslap.gif

See this is what I get for trying to sneak & post while I'm at work
laugh.gif
!
Had I completely read the title, I would have known that it says "...before applying ~conditioner~" .... I thought it said "before applying leave in conditioner"
fishslap.gif
laugh.gif
!

Ok, so let me revise my post.....
I do a gentle sqeeze before applying my conditioner. No towels, no pats!

Squeezing out the excess water should be sufficient. I think they just pat it to hurry up the process a bit or just out of habit.

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
Squeezing out the excess water should be sufficient. I think they just pat it to hurry up the process a bit or just out of habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I'm starting to agree with that re hairdressers.

BRH, I recall reading several months ago (I think in Allure) that should towel dry your hair before applying conditioner to get the full benefit. Otherwise, the conditioner is just sitting on top of water. But don't rub, you will rough up the cuticle.

Back