Touch up before or after surgery??

Coffee

Hi ladies, I am scheduled for total knee replacement surgery on January 11th. I am also scheduled for a touch up around the same time. Should I relax before or a week or 2 after surgery?

My recommendation would be before the sugery. I'm not sure about how Knee surgery goes, but you may not be able to get it wet. In any case, best of luck with your surgery!

I say before because you may have a harder time moving around for a few weeks after surgery.

All that shopping with a painful knee. T.J Maxx wont know what hit them after your surgery :grin:. I pray you have a speedy recovery.

I would say do it before. I did that, and it was a good idea! Also, depending on any medications that they put you on following your surgery, you hair may react differently. I can’t explain why that is, but some medications do, even the way your relaxer takes. I had that happen to me a few times.

Best Wishes!

My vote is for before. You don't know how well you will be feeling after surgery and I am sure hair will probably be the last thing on your mind. I wouldn't want to have to maintain two different textures post op when I am not sure how long it would be before I could be up and about.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hey Mrs. Coffee,

Good luck and have a speedy recovery! I say go before like the other ladies. Poor TJ Maxx, do they know, could you warn them? I mean their profits will go down and I am sure they didnt count on that:lachen:Well I guess they got the other 11 months of the year to bounce back.

I will keep you in my prayers
SouthernStunner

Thanks for the help and well wishes ladies. I am thinking maybe I can get hubby to go to TJ Maxx and call me on the phone to let me know what they have for sale :lachen::lachen::lachen:.
Now that I think about it, TJ Maxx may be all the incentive I need to hurry and get through physical therapy. Maybe I'll take a picture of all their hair products and put it in front of me as I'm doing my PT excercises!!

Last edited:
Definitely before. The last thing you want to think about right after surgery is trying to tame your hair, you'll be too busy recuperating. I had surgery a couple months ago and was glad I did my touch up before.
Best of Luck.

I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say after.

Maybe take this time to put your hair in a protective style such as a braided updo or kinky twists? Focus on your health, give your hair a break. Stretch out the relaxer time. Also PT might have you sweating and IMO braids allow air down to your scalp and if needed you can clean it with witch hazel.

Good luck with your surgery, Coffee! I was going to say before, but Ansbach has a good point, could you put in braids? With a relaxer, you're still going to have to baby your hair some and I doubt you're going to want to shampoo even a week after surgery.

Good luck with your surgery, Coffee! I was going to say before, but Ansbach has a good point, could you put in braids? With a relaxer, you're still going to have to baby your hair some and I doubt you're going to want to shampoo even a week after surgery.

Yes, I can braid my hair, that may be the way to go. Thanks :yep:.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I too would say to do it AFTER your surgery. I had Tendon Transfer surgery in June of this year. The medications can affect your hair. If you can wait awhile after the surgery, it's better that way. I had to be homebound for 2 months and it was difficult to really take care of my hair. If I had relaxed before the damage could have been significant. Braids or wigs would be perfect.

I say before that way you dont have to worry about it and sometimes the anesthesia effects the hair in a negative way...so I would relax before and maybe do some low/no manipulation protective style and concentrate on getting better...

Yay :)

lol

I hope you do braid it. Like 3 days before. So its not tender but its still frsh. And beforehand, get some cotton balls and witch hazel and mix up your spray bottle with your leave in. Get a couple of those bonnets that have the soft material to keep it on, and relax!

Make yourself a little bin of hair stuff, face stuff, and fun stuff and put them on top of your nightstand.

Example:
One bin with babywipes, facial wipes, toner, moisturizer, lip stuff.

One bin with hair bonnets, moisturizer, spray on leave in, hair gummys, witch hazel or astringent and cotton puffs/qtips to apply.

One bin with a sudoku/crossword magazines, bottled water, hard candies, your vitamins, a book you wanna finish. Maybe the instructions for your mobility exercizes. I was a tomboy and fractured everything it seems, so I spent quite a bit of time laying in bed with a leg up in the air rotating ankles and bending knees to increase my "range of motion" so I understand.

They're little bins. About the dimensions of a magazine but deeper of course. You can get them at the dollar store. Some are stackable, too.

I hope your surgery goes perfectly and your recovery is speedy.

Back