Totally Disgusted - rambling

Mufasa

Say there - I am in the process of trying to choose a perm for my hair. I had done some strand tests sometime ago (well, actually a few months ago) and was not totally pleased. Mind you, I normally wear braids/weave and I took strands from the hair after taking the braids out.

Anywho, I tried the Revlon mild - it left the hair straight as a board with no body. Same for the Affirm Fiberguard (I think that it was regular). Straight, no body. And - I didn't leave it on for a long period of time. My hair is kinda thick and is virgin so it would take a bit to get the perm on. I would have to do it in sections to even have any hope of gettin some sort of consistent timing.

With my natural hair, I have gotten it into styles that pretty much laugh at rain and humidity (which is good) but are very time consuming to get.

All I wanted was something to straighten the hair ~a little~ to save in prep time. I still want the thickness that I currently have.

Also, I had a demi-perm color applied in Feb of last year. The beautician guranteed me that it would not affect my hair at all and that it would wash out. Here it is over 1 year later, the color is still present and it has affected my hair somewhat. There was a post on how to get hair back into shape that said to use Paul Mitchell Superchared, Revlon Porosity Control, Aphogee Reconstructor and Nexxus Reconstructor (did not have any clarifying shampoo
mad.gif
). I also had reconstructor placed on my hair, had it steamed and flat ironed last week. It was also trimmed (thinking about taking a little more off).

I would like my hair to be in better shape before the process and am contemplating putting on the Nexxus Emergencee process and conditioner wash.

I have researched the site for many months (lurking mostly
smile.gif
) and am now wondering if I should go through the process. I don't want straight hair
nono.gif
I like bulk actually
smile.gif
I was just concerned because the strand tests were so limp and lifeless - it didn't even seem to curl
confused.gif

Questions:
I can't stand the idea of doing a wig for another year
nono.gif
Should I grow out the color?
Is it that I used hair immediately out of the braids?
Is it the color that is on the hair (supposedly demi-perm)?
Are there any other perms out there that could just straighten the hair ~ a little ~ did I do something wrong in my tests
confused.gif

I have a few days to decide. My sibling (who has bee-u-tiful hair and is quite skilled) has agreed to help me once more
grin.gif
I have the Rusk anti-curl too - I guess I could do a strand test with that
whyme.gif
I guess if all else fails, I could do the wig thing again.

But anywho, as you can see, I am a bit nervous about this whole process. It has been *years* since I have even remotely considered a perm and I do not take this decision lightly - even though it is just hair
smile.gif

Anywho, this is my ramble.

Regards,
Mufasa

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is. Are you trying to texturize...maybe attain a looser curl pattern? Or are you trying to straighten the hair completely?

Girl, I wish I knew enough about hair coloring to answer your question. The present condition of your hair I would imagine would also be a factor. Is you hair healthy and strong presently? Ohhhhh, I just look at your pics. You have very nice, natural, healthy hair. Your wild wooly pic show very nice curl definition. I've digressed....I'm guessing here but most of the time relaxer (chemicals) + color = dryer hair. You'll most likely have to work harder at keeping it moisturized. To wait to do the process is up to you. If the color is a problem you can cut it off or if length is most important you can wait until the color grows out or learn how to keep it moisturized under those conditions. It's just a matter of what you want in the end (your goal).

It sound like you want something like a texturizer (perm left in for a short time) to help tame/control the woolies (using your terminology). If this is what you want I would go to a professional that specializes in texturizers to have it done. A salon called Curves comes to mind. During a consult, let them assess your hair to deterimine if the coloring you have in will or will not cause the extra dryness problem (or be the cause of extra damage) post the texturizing process. Then you can decide if you want to deal with having to put in the extra effort to keep it moisturized and the other possibilities that could apply (ie. cutting out color, waiting for color to grow out, etc.) Also check with ladies who have had texturizers done to see if worth doing it (ie. up keep time, damage, etc.) You have such pretty hair you might want to see what other naturals are doing to keep their hair stylish during rain and humumity that's less time consuming.

You said something about Affirm Fiberguard Normal, maybe you should try it in Mild. There are some ladies on the board that use AF in Mild as a texturizer. Also, as Spagirl said, you can do a search on texturizers and come up with all types of info. I am currently relaxed and thinking of transitioning to a texturizer, so I know how you feel. Just do a little researching and you should be okay
smile.gif

Mufasa,
I use only acv for clarifying, you can either do your last rinse with it or spray it directly on your scalp before shampooing

Hello ladies, Thank you for responding
smile.gif

I thought I had purchased the Affirm regular because it had straightened my hair so easily
shocked.gif
Maybe it was because I pulled on the hair for the strand tests. I put the cream on the strands and then spread it through them. But, I was just worried because of how straight it came out
ohwell.gif
When I went back to check, I found that it was Fiberguard Mild. I didn't want it straight at all - just loosened up a little.

Say ther Spagirl
wave.gif
- basically, I had tried the natural approaches. The ones I have come across were pretty time consuming and took up a lot of product. More product = more $$$. I just ordered 2 new jars of Carol's Daughter HHB and have gone through a good amount in just a one week period. The color is on the ends - although it is still kinky, there is a slight difference in the pattern.

Doing more research ladies. Wish me luck - thank you for all of your help
grin.gif

Kindest Regards,
Mufasa

I recently tried PCJ Original Formula 1....

I was looking for the same result as you - very little straightening - just a smoothing of my curl pattern. I really liked it. I am debating whether it actually straightened my hair enough actually. My hair isn't underprocessed - but my roots don't get truly straight (there'es always a little wave - even after a rollerset - and it's not new growth because I touched up two weeks ago or so) unless I add serious direct heat. I retained all of my natural bulk though.

As to the color, unless you want to change the color again - processing with the relaxer should be fine. If you're nervous, a few treatments with Emergencee is an excellent choice - it' will help fortify the structure of the strand and make it strong for the rlaxer process. It's been a year, however, and in that much time your hair should be strong enough. The difference between demi's and other color formulas is that they contain a 10-20 volume level of peroxide. It shouldn't have damaged your hair but some people are sensitive to even low levels of peroxide - so it's possible.

I'd relax and then apply a rinse (on the same day) to protect it some.

What color was the demi-perm? Do you want your natural color back?

Hi Tracy,

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
What color was the demi-perm? Do you want your natural color back?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is kind of an auburnish color. You can barely see it unless I am in the light. I can feel that there is a *slight* difference in textures - although, it is still kinky
smile.gif
I would like to have shiny black hair (if possible) - there are about 5 gray hairs that I want to cover
smile.gif
I don't know how my hair would be when placing a color (to lighten) over a texturizer
ohwell.gif
In the end, I still want to have thick hair ...

Mufasa, if the mild relaxers are too quick to straighten, you can try adding a bit of oil to it to slow down the processing. Doing your hair in sections would be beneficial as well.

[ QUOTE ]
LiqueXX said:
You said something about Affirm Fiberguard Normal, maybe you should try it in Mild. There are some ladies on the board that use AF in Mild as a texturizer. Also, as Spagirl said, you can do a search on texturizers and come up with all types of info. I am currently relaxed and thinking of transitioning to a texturizer, so I know how you feel. Just do a little researching and you should be okay
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LiqueXX is right....if you're not sure what to do continue to do research. I too am transitioning from a relaxer to a texturizer. I'm still in limbo on what to do...get it professionally done or do it myself.....texturizers are tricky.....one wrong [too long] application can leave u with curls at the bottom, waves in the middle, curls toward the top...AAAAHHHHHHHHH..[that's me screaming]
LiqueXX.......we should be texturizer buddies....since we're at the same starting place...I'm 2 months post relaxer trying to wait till 6 months post relaxer b4 doing the texturizer....

Mufasa, your hair is so beautiful! I don't see why you would ever have to wear a wig!! It looks like your doing everything right, your hair is so long! My hair is natural too and you are an inspiration to me. Of course you can do what you want, but I think your natural hair is gorgeous!!!
weird.gif

Back