Today's horror story: My co-worker's regimen...

pink gator

I love my co-worker dearly.

We've worked together several years and are pretty close.

She's old-school glam like a 50-something Diahann Carroll.

She and her teenage daughter visit their stylist maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

They literally do NO maintenance at home. But somehow they manage to look pretty flyy.

Today we started talking our hair and she said she needed a retouch and was going to get one next week...and we started talking about her daughter's hot new bob.

So I asked how her daughter maintans the style. She replied that her daughter wraps her hair every night. She doesn't wash it at all, they both just wait to go to the shop during their bimonthly visit and get shampooed and DC'd.

I'm like, "You don't wash in between visits AT ALL?"

She replied, "Not at all. We just do what the folks where I come from do--it's kinda old school, Pink Gator--but we take an old stocking, wrap it over a bristle brush and BRUSH the dust and lint out of our hair...take off the stocking and discard the gook off it."

I was TOO done! Now I've heard of--and I've done it, too--to remove lint off clothes before lint brushes/rollers came along, but not for hair!

Still in shock...

There are a few folks on here that don't wash their hair all that often either. I personally couldn't do what they do at all....but is her hair healthy? Does it smell?

For a good chunk of my life I got my hair done every 2-3 weeks (press and wrap) and didn't do anything between time. My hair was long and it looked good.

I don't know anything about dust and lint. I didn't have any of that when I was pressing every two weeks and wrapping every night. In fact, my hair collects more lint now that I wear my hair natural because it gets stuck in the coils.

Anyway, their regimen isn't that bad, and definitely not a horror story IMO. In fact, there are people here who only wash every two weeks. Works for some people and not for others.

There are a few folks on here that don't wash their hair all that often either. I personally couldn't do what they do at all....but is her hair healthy? Does it smell?

Fa real? There are some members here? OK...

Her hair is healthy for the most part. It's just sticky cuz she still moisturizes regularly. It holds no curls or style and it's pretty stiff.

oh my gosh....and that keeps it looking pretty fly??

It's just stiff with no movement; like an old whitelady's helmet do.

I just wanna "brang" her home with me and clarify her hair SO bad!!!

Apparently her stylist ain't all that because even after her retouches, her hair is still sticky-lookin'...

I've heard of that before and I tried it in the past, but I didn't see "gunk." Maybe it would be a good thing to try if you don't want to wash your hair that much.

i used to do that all the time before i came here. i would go to the salon once every 2 weeks, sometimes once a month and no washing in between. its not that uncommon at all and im only 22. in fact i have friends who still do that.

Fa real? There are some members here? OK...

Her hair is healthy for the most part. It's just sticky cuz she still moisturizes regularly. It holds no curls or style and it's pretty stiff.

That may be the problem. When I was doing that I really didn't do anything but wrap my hair at night. So there was no build up from moisturizer or anything else. And, my hair didn't smell either.

The regimen isn't for me, but I guess I can't really say anything bad about it. Bimonthly means every two weeks, right? I know some people who may even be members on this forum who go about 2 or 3 weeks between washings to preserve straight looks or hairstyles. They have tricks of keeping their hair neat looking as well :yep:.

i used to do that all the time before i came here. i would go to the salon once every 2 weeks, sometimes once a month and no washing in between. its not that uncommon at all and im only 22. in fact i have friends who still do that.

I know... My girlfriend NEVER did her hair... ( I mean from like age 10) she went to the shop every two weeks....

I grew up in a completely different home. My Mommie was a DIY'er - so me doing my hair ( except relaxers after age 12) was the norm. Things got WAY worse when I went to the salon more often...:ohwell:

Last edited:
I used to wait every two weeks for my stylist to wash, DC, and set my hair. But I have nevaeva nevvvvva heard of using a stocking cap and brush to get the lint off of the hair.

i know someone that does it, but her hair is limp, dirty, and scalp is full of dandruff. she is just so lazy. she doesn't like doing anything to herself except wash her behind, brush her teeth, and make sure her clothes are clean. i couldn't do it unless i'm wearing cornrows and i still use something to clean my scalp with. i sweat and put products in my hair daily.

i know someone that does it, but her hair is limp, dirty, and scalp is full of dandruff. she is just so lazy. she doesn't like doing anything to herself except wash her behind, brush her teeth, and make sure her clothes are clean. i couldn't do it unless i'm wearing cornrows and i still use something to clean my scalp with. i sweat and put products in my hair daily.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Frankly a womans hair should not be nasty after 2 weeks. Back in the day the classy ladies got their hair done every two weeks. Because they could afford it, and their hair never looked gunky to me or even smelly but then again I would not invade their personal space by putting my nose in ANYONE'S hair. Even today there are many many woman who wash their hair every two weeks. If you are a sweaty person or work in the sewer then we may have a problem. We at LHCF know the benefits of regular co-washing so we do it often because we want long hair. It is not a necessity, sometimes less is best.

Um, I think this is a pretty common frequency of washing for black women not on hair boards. That's about how often I washed before wearing my hair in its natural texture, too. Even now I only wash once a week. And there are still plenty of women on the boards who only wash once every couple weeks. In fact, someone correct me quickly if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Sylver2, whose YouTube channel everyone was raving over just the other day, generally washes every other week. Her hair is healthy and long, she clearly knows what she's doing. I don't see what's so horrific about it. And if she's brushing debris off, shouldn't that actually be cleaner than for people who don't do that at all? I don't get it.

Last edited:
Um, I think this is a pretty common frequency of washing for black women not on hair boards. That's about how often I washed before wearing my hair in its natural texture, too. Even now I only wash once a week. And there are still plenty of women on the boards who only wash once every couple weeks. In fact, someone correct me quickly if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Sylver2, whose YouTube channel everyone was raving over just the other day, generally washes every other week. Her hair is healthy and long, she clearly knows what she's doing. I don't see what's so horrific about it. And if she's brushing debris off, shouldn't that actually be cleaner than for people who don't do that at all? I don't get it.

That's the idol I was talking about :yep:

Actually, in countries/cultures where water is scarce, using gallons upon gallons for showering and hair washing on a daily basis is unheard of. One of the ways people clean their hair is by using a cloth (silk or other) and a brush. I've never done it, but I have read about it. Hopefully, I will never have to have such a regime because I love washing my hair and life without a bubble bath is quetionable at best.

But this is done is many places in the world.

I don't see anything really wrong with washing every two weeks. Sometimes I do that. The only real reason I generally wash more than that is because I moisturize daily and don't like the limp look of my hair after a few days of moisturizing. If I could go two weeks to wash my hair without it looking lifeless I would do it all the time. Less manipulation IMO is better than more conditioning. The part thats weird to me is the stocking and brush thing just because it sounds like it could be damaging to the strands.

Back