To wash? or Not to wash?

Sexyred

I am currently transitioning and I have 3 to 4 inches of new growth. I would like to switch to washing my hair every two weeks from once a week to cut down on manipulation. The thing is I also work out 4 to 5 times a week and would like to know whether I would be doing my harm than good to my hair by not washing every week? I am just a little confused because wash days are hell right now. Some advise/opinions please

Have you read Cathy Howse's book
or Lisa Akbari's book?

Cathy says Black hair needs to be washed at least every 3 days
and if you're working out, you probably need to do it more.
Lisa says "not shampooing on a regular and as-needed basis"
could damage your scalp. Your scalp is the foundation and
because of all the moisturizer/product we need... your scalp
will have negative buildup especially if you're working out.

I co-wash daily and shampoo once a week...
the new growth isn't hard to manage if you
make sure to only comb your hair while in
a shower, under running water, and with lots
of conditioner. I use Mane N Tail Conditioner.
... that's my 2 cent

Sexyred said:
I am currently transitioning and I have 3 to 4 inches of new growth. I would like to switch to washing my hair every two weeks from once a week to cut down on manipulation. The thing is I also work out 4 to 5 times a week and would like to know whether I would be doing my harm than good to my hair by not washing every week? I am just a little confused because wash days are hell right now. Some advise/opinions please

Sexyred, I wash weekly. Right now, I have about 2.5 inches of new growth (not transitioning, just stretching), and I also workout 4 times per week. I have found that it's better for me to wash weekly because, by then, I'm ready to wash the sweat out from the workouts. Also, I know that if I wait another week (especially this "deep" into my stretch at 11 weeks post), then my hair will be even harder to detangle because I would be dealing with 2 weeks worth of shedded hair.:eek:

I recently began adding EVOO to my DC (Motions Moisture Plus) as a prepoo and let sit for 1 hour. Then, I shampoo. I gotta tell ya, detangling is now so easy. Maybe you could try something like that to aid you on washday.

ETA: When I do the EVOO/DC, I put my hair into about 7 twists/braids and secure with a barrette.

Last edited:
I am currently 2 months in my relaxer retouch, HOPEFULLY to make it 6 months. no matter what i am gonna do this yall!!!!!!
with PRAY/TIME/PATIENTS/MONEY whatever it gonna take.far as wash days its every every 10-12 days instead of every 7 days (why)becuse it will be tooo much manuplation/tanglin/breakage farmost combing so when i get my retouch (reward )time.:D

I think you should go ahead and wash at least once a week. Listen to your scalp. If it's flaking up, dry or itchy wash. I went 16 days during the end of my last relaxer stretch and my scalp was flaring up big time. Yes it does help not to manipulate the hair so much but you lose out with an irritated flaky scalp.

I'm never doing that again! Wash your hair girl, just be careful on the detangling side. Oh and when I was natural for six years I washed that bushy 4a every week. It didn't hurt it at all, my scalp loved me and my hair grew!

I say wash. Find a product that will help with the detangling (try the red palm butter thread). It seems to be a good detangling/conditioning product. Have you ever tried the Phyto 9 leave in - great moisture and super detangling.

If you do not wash, think about the sweat, dirt, product, i.e. bacteria that will be growing on your scalp. Think about this, would you work out frequently and take a shower/bath every two weeks? Ask yourself why not? Think of your hair trying to grow through clogged hair folicles.

I think deep down I knew that washing every week is better for me, but I just get so frustrated with the tangles it seems like my hair is not even growing:( where can I get the phyto leave in at this point I am willing to try anything. What about Paul Mitchell detangler? Thanks all for the replies.

Back