To those whose hair grows in natural layers...

EbonyEyes

Hi everyone,

Since my hair grows at the same rate all over my head, my hair has natural layers with the hair at the nape falling below my neck and the front of my hair only falling at my ear. I have a total of about 8 layers.

Does anyone else here have hair that naturally grows in layers? Do you cut your hair so that all of your hair will fall at the same place or do you let your hair just do its thing?

Are there any challenges to having natural layers that I should know about?

Thanks,

Ebony

Hey ebony, my hair grows into natural layers as well. I actually love the layers because the wedge shape works well with my hair type. I don't really think there are any drawbacks. You just get a nice shape without having to cut it in.

my hair grows in layers as well. yes i have cut my hair even more than once and it never works out. when i had a perm the back was short, brittle and thin so that area had to be trimmed in layers to give it some body, while the top of my hair was growing like a weed. the top was longer than the back because my hair was getting damaged from the perm so i kept trying to trim it even but it never worked. so after i ditched the perm, started taking some vits, and found this site the opposite began to happen-the back that "never seemed to grow" out grew the top of my head. when i measured it the top os rather long (8 1/2-9in) but it appears shorter cause its coming from the top of my hair, while the back is about 6in but seems long cause its at the lower half of my head, so far i am not stressing it. i blew out my hair eariler this week and the hair didn't look to uneven

My hair naturally grows in layers, and it's just the way I like it! I think it looks good on me, so I just let my hair do its thang. I haven't come across any drawbacks.

My hair also grows in natural layers, I think when it is noticibly longer I will love it. Right now though, it's irritating because the "shag" look is not cute. LOL!!

My back gets really long, the middle take a minute to catch up, and the front takes the LONGEST to get where I want it to be.

But I really do think when it's all REALLY long, I'll be cool with the look cuz it won't look as drastic.

Same here. My hair grows in natural layers too. No draw backs for me (except my bangs get on my nerves blowing in my eyes and mouth). Whenever I complain, people say "Oh don't worry those layers will catch up." But...I don't want my hair all one length. That's not the complaint. I just want a little more thickness (I'm just about there thank God) and a few more inches in length. I love my layers because my head is soooo small and the layers add a little drama (as one hair stylist said) without me having to get my hair cut into a style.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies! I think that I will like my hair in layers once it gets longer but right now my hair is only 5 1/2 inches and I'm a natural 4a so that means it looks like it is 2 inches. The problem I'm having now is trying to work with my layers so that I can get it in a decent afro.

If I factor in shrinkage, I may have to wait another 2 years before my hair looks better with the layers.

-Ebony

Same here. And *I* thought I was an oddball as a result (Hee Hee)!

Anyway, I had considered keeping the back at its present length, in order to allow the top and sides to catch up.

While I *would* like more length on the top and at the sides (I am actually growing out a layered cut at the present time, but my hair has grown in layers for as long as I can remember) I will simply allow the hair to "do its thang." Given that my hair is fine, the layers add body and fullness.

God knows what He is doing! (LOL)

northernbelle

Back