To the naturals that use gel to slick hair back

jjjackie

I have decided that twist styles just are not for me. I think I am going to start wearing my hair in a bun. However, I need some tips.

Do you use gel to slick your hair back?

What kind?

What method do you use? For example, do you brush it back and then put a scarf on.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

i used to brush....but now, after i finish deep conditioning i just detangle with my bone comb, apply leave-in and oil, and comb it back into a pontytail. then, i slather pink IC gel on it and tie it down with my scarf until it dries.....HTH

Last edited:
I don't use gel very often, but I do bun daily. I apply my leave-in and then I seal the ends and the exposed part with whatever natural oil I'm using for the day. I don't get fly aways but it's not super slicked down either. I feel like I'm getting a two-for-one I get the control and hold that you'd normally get with gel and it's doing wonders for my hair. My front pieces which were always just wavy have gotten more curl definition with the added protection.

Fantasia Thick N' Shine brown gel. I only use it on wet well conditioned hair over leave in and moisturizer. I GENTLY brush the surface top layer of my hair onlyto smooth.

When I *used* to be natural, I would wash my hair which would make it easier to comb my hair back. I would use clear Fantasia gel w/sparklelites and then I would put a scarf on, which helped lay it down.

I'll dampen my hair then add leave in and either the blue or the clear fantasia ic gel with sparkelites while damp. Afterwards I use my boar bristle brush to brush the hair back and tie my hair down with a scarf for a few min.

What does the blue Fantasia w/ Sparkalites look like because I've only seen the clear one? Is there a difference between the two? Also, where can I find it at? TIA.

Do you use gel to slick your hair back? Curl Activator Gel...when I'm running low on curl activator gel then I'll mixed Fantasia IC Thick n' Shine with it, but I found I don't even need to use Fantasia anymore.

What method do you use? For example, do you brush it back and then put a scarf on. Just my fingers to slick my hair back, it lays down wavy, no scarf needed.

Back