To smooth or not to smooth...

• Thread starter Thread starter Tee
  • Start date Start date
T

Tee

I just found out that my hair dresser used a regular strength relaxer on my hair instead of the mild that I asked for at my last touch up appointment. She explained that it's better to let the relaxer "do all the work". That it's better to use a relaxer strong enough to relax your hair on its own because manipulating the hair while relaxer is in it is bad for the hair since it is very vulnerable at this time. I was a little pissed that she didn't tell me she was going to use a regular instead of a mild and explain all this to me when I was getting a touch up, but her theory does make sense to me. Does anybody else go to a hair dresser who does this? What do you all think of her theory?

Tee

I have never heard of this. It's interesting, I wouldn't say that it's altogether crazy though. You want use as little manipulation as possible, yes..... but no relaxer is going to be strong enough to straighten all by itself, with no manipulation at all, is it???
confused.gif
Personally, I'll be sticking to my mild relaxer and "working thru" the new growth as I normally do.
It's up to you though. Remember, if you want her to use a mild and work thru the newgrowth, tell her!, it's your head afterall, and you're paying for what you want
look.gif

It was my understanding from reading Shamboosie's book that you smooth upon applying. So, therefore it makes since to me if she smoothed while applying then lets the relaxer itself do the work.
smile.gif
Way less manipulation. Not a bad thing. How did you hair turn out?

Again repeating Shamboosie book, I do recall it saying something similar to what your stylist said in that you don't need to comb through a relaxer as the relaxer alone will straighten the hair. If you left it to sit on your hair and didn't touch it at all with a comb, your hair would eventually 'relax' and straighten because this is a chemical and can work all alone. Actually his point was to not comb through a relaxer and that gentle smoothing is okay, can't remember verbatum....but in my opinion, the less manipulation during this very fragile time, the better. Smoothing is considered standard practise though. It just depends on how much time its left on.

I say this because I usually have mild now done (used to be regular). But once I did have super used in St. Lucia and I was soooo hesistant but the lady said that its not the strength of the relaxer, its how long you leave it in and for me, she put it in sooo super fast (5 mins if that! this woman was like a blur) and washed it out immediately and there was zero burning. I was suprised and the hair came out great.

I guess my point is, okay what is my point (re-reading
laugh.gif
)....I do agree that relaxer can be left to 'do its work.'

My stylist doesn't smooth my hair after applying the relaxer to my new growth. IMO, the relaxer is doing all of the work and doesn't need to be smoothed out. I also don't want my hair relaxed bone straight, so this is something that I like.

my new stylist did not comb thru my relaxer either and today when I was feeling thru my newly relaxed new growth I was kinda taken aback cause I normally get relaxed bone straight and it was like a different texture compared to my old relaxed length. srtaight but still with some wavy texture I'm panicking thinking I eiher need to re do it or concider it a not-bone straight relaxer and be happy. it was on my head for 20 min and even under a plastic cap with a towel for the last 5! but she only smoothed it when applying it. no combing or tugging or skull whacking. as a matter of fact I neve felt it touch my scalp at all! Is this what a not-bone straight relaxer is like or should I worry about under/over processing and have her comb and smooth it next time?

i believe this is THE ideal way to get a relaxer! i don't think you should re-do it. are you experiencing breakage because of it?

Actually, she's right. The relaxer is what breaks the bonds. the manipulation really just adds heat for better penetration. After applying the relaxer, the main thing one does is lift each section of hair to see if the relaxer is working and that all the hair is covered with relaxer. My only wonder is why she can't do this with a mild relaxer. It can be done. Even if the relaxer has to sit a bit. If your hair is in good shape, well moisturized going into the process (not just an hour before), the relaxer should do well. The good thing about using a mild is that it is easier to prevent overprocessing.

Leigh

(( shrug )) If nothing adverse happened, and you wouldn't have noticed if she didn't say anything, and you're going to keep going to her anyway ... I think the problem's "solved".

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
nita4 said:
It was my understanding from reading Shamboosie's book that you smooth upon applying. So, therefore it makes since to me if she smoothed while applying then lets the relaxer itself do the work.
smile.gif
Way less manipulation. Not a bad thing. How did you hair turn out?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair turned out great. I remember thinking at the time that the relaxer wasn't in my hair long enough to get it sufficiently straight. She applied very quickly and the relaxer was in my hair for about 10 minutes total. My hair didn't get bone straight, but it was straighter than my previous relaxers, which I'm not sure I like. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go back to mild with longer relaxer duration and/or smoothing or stay witht the regular with no smoothing and less time with chemicals in my hair.

Back