Tips for relaxing leave out??

MsEllaJ

So.. this is my first post on here and I am excited about the vast knowledge that you guys have to offer! Thanks in advance.

Short history before I ask my question: I have only been on my hair journey for one month. My last relaxer was January. Have not used heat since beginning of March. I have maybe 2-3 inches of new growth.
Next weekend, I am getting a sew in placed and am leaving out the top part (trial hair for wedding in September:grin: that's a whole other story). I have been told by a few stylist friends that I can relax the new growth of only my leave out. I'm planning on leaving the weave in for 3 weeks (4 max) and would be relaxing the rest of my hair at that time.

Do you ladies see any potential pitfalls/disasters in waiting with this plan??

*Welcome* I have know some ladies who only relax their leave out but I figure it would be a lot of work. Is the weave hair straight, wavy or curly? If straight, you might want to relax your leave out and depending how wavy or curly you might be able to get away w/ not relaxing your leave out by applying a little heat.

Personally, I would not want to relax the leave out to help prevent any overlapping during the "real" relaxer. Also, that hair may be weakened because of being exposed and adding heat to get it to blend in with weave hair. I would get a full weave with an "invisible" part. I am completely natural and the stylist (beauty school student) who did my sew in (my first) convinced me to leave out some hair. Big mistake. JMHO.

Welcome. The manipulation involved in styling a relaxed leave out usually involves so much manipulation that it damages the hair ridiculously. I have an unintended bang from years of weave wearing. Try a good lace or silk closure (although this won't help you for the present install). It will protect your hair and look very natural and the good ones even have a "scalp" effect.

Back