Tips for naturals???

delitefulmane

Natural ladies with THICK hair, how do you make sure your scalp is clean when you wash it? I just washed my hair a week ago and now it is full of flakes. I diluted my shampoo and I thought I got to my scalp but it is still full of flakes. Natural ladies please help!! :perplexed

Hi delightful you can try washing your hair in plaits. 4 to 8 plaits whatever is easiest for you. And concentrate the shampoo on your scalp and then run your hands along the plaits and squeeze the suds into them. This works for me and the water feels good on the scalp. And don't worry you hair will still get clean in the plaits. Hth.

Eta;What kind of shampoo are you using also, it might not agree with your scalp

Last edited:
Hi delightful you can try washing your hair in plaits. 4 to 8 plaits whatever is easiest for you. And concentrate the shampoo on your scalp and then run your hands along the plaits and squeeze the suds into them. This works for me and the water feels good on the scalp. And don't worry you hair will still get clean in the plaits. Hth.

Eta;What kind of shampoo are you using also, it might not agree with your scalp

Good advice :up:

I think that if you have flakes then maybe you need to look into using something from dandruff or maybe you should was more frequently or use products that cause less buildup.

I have thick hair but I am not natural. I have never had flakes on my scalp - clean or dirty.

Thanx ladies! I was my hair is parts using duck bill clips but my scalp is really dry right now. I just used this peppermint shampoo. It made my scalp tingle....I hope it was a good tingle:wallbash:.

Thanx ladies! I was my hair is parts using duck bill clips but my scalp is really dry right now. I just used this peppermint shampoo. It made my scalp tingle....I hope it was a good tingle:wallbash:.

If you could let us know some of the products that you are using, Maybe we can help more to see why you are getting the flakes. And peppermint does tingle.:yep:

Hey.

I had a really bad problem with flaky scalp. What helped me was rinsing really well before shampooing (Lisa Akbari's method) and rinsing really well after my shampoo. It may take longer but it helped a lot. I didnt change my products or anything..but thats what I think helped the most.

eta: Shucks..well I dont have super thick hair..but still, this worked for me. Hope you find something..I know how annoying it is.

Last edited:
I am newly natural but even texlaxed my hair was thick. I use castille soap and a bottle with an applicator tip(like a dye bottle).

Also I add olive oil and jojoba straight to my shampoo that way my scalp doesn't get dry.

i part my hair into four sections, separate them with clips, (my hair is soaking wet at this point) and rub my shampoo bar onto my scalp first and then slide it down to the ends. i get a good lather and work it into my scalp!

I have a flaky scalp too, I section my hair in 6 to 8 different parts to shampoo the scalp.

Wash with a clarifying shampoo. It gets all the gunk out right down to the scalp. That's the only shampoo I use.

I used to have REALLY BAD flakes/scabs in my scalp.. im mean like a few hours after i wash my hair, flakes are in my scalp! I started co-washing with only moisturizing conditioners(w/no sulfates either) every single day and i havent seen flakes ever since...my scalp actually starts to itch if i go to long w/o washing. I do not put anything directly on my scalp either(besides maybe coconut oil). But i also stop getting relaxers, relaxers also did something horrible to my scalp too.

Good thread with great tips. I have thick natural hair and the same problem! Well not flakes, but I feel like I still have buildup and sometimes like the shampoo isn't completely rinsed out. I think part of the problem is/was the products and shampoo I used. I was using Curls souffle (or was it milkshake) and it just left buildup on my scalp. I love the whipped cream but I think it's possibly giving me the same problem. Then I tried their Curlie Cutie Cleansing Cream and that's when my scalp felt really icky. That shampoo sucks, IMO. So I've clarified twice in the past 3 weeks with Giovanni Triple Treat Shampoo. Let me tell you, it gets the job done. I'm keeping that one and I guess I'll see if one of my friends or someone else I know likes/wants the other. :ohwell:

ITA with the bolded. I stopped having flaking issues when I stopped relaxing and then it really improved when I stopped using sulfate poos. :yep:

I used to have REALLY BAD flakes/scabs in my scalp.. im mean like a few hours after i wash my hair, flakes are in my scalp! I started co-washing with only moisturizing conditioners(w/no sulfates either) every single day and i havent seen flakes ever since...my scalp actually starts to itch if i go to long w/o washing. I do not put anything directly on my scalp either(besides maybe coconut oil). But i also stop getting relaxers, relaxers also did something horrible to my scalp too.

I agree with the above ladies that mentioned washing in sections. I tried this for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago and I have done it ever since and will never wash my hair any other way. This was one of the best tips that I have gained in my hair care journey

Washing it in sections ensure that my hair is thoroughly cleaned and conditioned. Shampooing and conditioning takes me about 5 to 10 minutes longer this way but it now only takes me about 5 minutes to detangle instead of over an hour.

Last edited:
Back