TIGHT colies (penspring & smaller): How do you grow out your hair line?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Im having difficulty growing out my edges where the tightest curl of my hair is. They have broken clean off. I need tips! and not just moisturize them. please no looser texture than stated chime in.

Do you have pics? I don't understand why it's breaking? How do you wear your hair? Are you natural or relaxed? Give us a bit more info, so we might be able to figure out what is causing this and maybe find a solution.

Girl, I don't know, and I'm still working on it. My hairline is fine, fine, fine - baby hairs, almost, and since my locs, my hairline ain't been right. I'm still working on them though.

I try to use little to no 'pressure/stress/pulling' on the edges. If they are fuzzy, fine, I don't care - I'd rather than then pulled tight (and they look a little fuller fuzzy, too).

I give my edges extra moisture.

I'd about to start using a new MT mix on my edges, to see how that works out.

Believe me I have tight coilies all over my edges as well as some nappier non-coiled kinky hair. What I do is just let them be unless I am flatironing or something. If I airdry they stay how they are. Sometimes I put Fantasia IC gel or Let's Jam on them but they are fine during that.

If you mostly just leave them be they will be fine, don't put any shampoo on your edges either (especially since you wash your face and neck daily anyway). Extra conditioner needs to go there and for longer because they are usually dry. You should detangle with your fingers then a fine tooth comb just to avoid knots or matting which will call little hairs to snap off.

When I was relaxed my edges and nape grew because I relaxed them bone straight (those parts of my hair do not agree with texturizing) and did not flatiron them when I straightened my hair. They would be straight already so I left them be until they were long enough.

Last edited:
my hair is really coarse. i have a pic in my profile. i try to do very little manipulation and not pull them tight. I use only condioner,scurl & infusium leave in. nothing that dries my hair out and i stopped wearing headscarves so i dont put stress on it. I wish i had rolled up peas right now. my edges look muffed up.

Girl, I don't know, and I'm still working on it. My hairline is fine, fine, fine - baby hairs, almost, and since my locs, my hairline ain't been right. I'm still working on them though.

I try to use little to no 'pressure/stress/pulling' on the edges. If they are fuzzy, fine, I don't care - I'd rather than then pulled tight (and they look a little fuller fuzzy, too).

I give my edges extra moisture.

I'd about to start using a new MT mix on my edges, to see how that works out.
MT has worked wonders on filling in my edges and the new hair is thicker and gaining a great deal of length. That is a major accomplishment since I ate my edges up with microbraids over the years. Castor oil helps also.

My edges /near my temples are jacked after years of abuse from micros, and hair loss in that area runs in my family anyways. I am a 4a or b natural.

Honestly, I'm still searching too and it's really hard.
I try to use the last amount of Surge along my hairline.
When I band my hair, I leave my hairline out and twist the front.
I avoid brushing that area. If I need it flat, then I just slap on a scarf.
I'm also trying to stop using hairbands that pull my hair too tight. But I rely on those as my main styling options.

Although I'm in a challenge, I buckled and purchased that beemine serum and I really hope it works!

Believe me I have tight coilies all over my edges as well as some nappier non-coiled kinky hair. What I do is just let them be unless I am flatironing or something. If I airdry they stay how they are. Sometimes I put Fantasia IC gel or Let's Jam on them but they are fine during that.

If you mostly just leave them be they will be fine, don't put any shampoo on your edges either (especially since you wash your face and neck daily anyway). Extra conditioner needs to go there and for longer because they are usually dry. You should detangle with your fingers then a fine tooth comb just to avoid knots or matting which will call little hairs to snap off.

When I was relaxed my edges and nape grew because I relaxed them bone straight (those parts of my hair do not agree with texturizing) and did not flatiron them when I straightened my hair. They would be straight already so I left them be until they were long enough.

This must be why i cannot stretch my relaxer for more than 8 weeks.

As you can see in my avatar pic my natural hair is ultra curly/coily - the straight ends snap off the regrowth so easily. I think this texture is also drier than other hair types. I'm really trying to step up the moisture on my hairline.

Spray sta-sof-fro on your edges twice a day, (add a capful of spring water in the bottle). And use a creamy (lotion) leave-in on your edges daily- NTM or Kids Organic Shea Butter detangler lotion.

My edges use to break off because the hair was too dry. I needed extra moisture in that area compared to other sections of my hair.

Back