Those who rollerset their own hair :)

vevster

I have just completed my second successful rollerset. This time I experimented with what I use to moisten my hair as I set. I used to use plain water. Today I added a bit of Elucence leave in to it and that worked fine. For a couple of rollers I used Cathy Howse's dew which I felt gave me more slip.

What are you all doing?

After you rollerset it do you wrap your hair? If so will it come out smooth? My hair always turns out frizzy, I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Last night I used Lanza Protecshine serum on the ends only and used a very detangling smoothing conditioner so the hair was easier to rollarset.

Before used New Image Damage Free (a creamy heat protectant), Keracare serum or even a mixture of water and the same conditioner sprizted in.

Are you using the hard plastic rolers and the silver clip pins? These are invaluable to me.

Plus, I make sure that the ends are moist and clinging to the roller; plus, try not to put to much hair in a roller. You can try end papers as well.

I'm just getting back into this game so I am sure others on the board could further advise.

The last couple of times that I rollerset my own hair, I used a mixture of Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse and warm water in a spray bottle. I got this idea from BlkMane. This product gave me the best rollerset so far. I'm looking forward to trying it again real soon.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
The last couple of times that I rollerset my own hair, I used a mixture of Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse and warm water in a spray bottle. I got this idea from BlkMane. This product gave me the best rollerset so far. I'm looking forward to trying it again real soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that sounds really nice. Honey used as part of a leave in? I'm still getting my head round the ideas of using honey in hair.

I haven't quite mastered the art of rollersetting yet, but when I do them I use a liquid leave-in (KMS Silker).

brownrelaxedhair said:
Wow that sounds really nice. Honey used as part of a leave in? I'm still getting my head round the ideas of using honey in hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse is a Dominican conditioner. Honey is one of the ingredients.

For those of you with hair below shoulder length. How many rollers do you usually use on average? I want to learn how to rollerset, but I'm not sure how many rollers I should be using.

I have no idea how many rollers I use. I just make sure I don't have too much hair on each roller (so it will dry and come out nice and smooth). The next time I do a rollerset, I will post how many rollers I use. BTW, I use the large purple magnetic rollers.

Hey Allandra, I did a rollerset the other day using the Lafier Almond and honey rinse too. My hair was sooo soft and shiny. I only have one bottle and sometimes I use it as a final rinse. I"m gonna have to find a way to get some more soon. anyway, after conditioning, I left my hair sopping wet and applied some the Lafier and rollerset as usual. It was very nice. Thanks to you and Blkmane for posting this
smile.gif

I rollerset my own hair every other week. I ALWAYS start with John Frieda Relax Retexturizing Serum. I don't know if it's because of this, but my hair always comes out really smooth. My ends are never frizzy. After the serum I also put a little bit of Vitapointe hairdress on the ends of each piece as I go along. Oh, and I also use Elasta QP Styling Foam, which does make the curls a little crisp, but they get soft as soon as you comb through them, and they last longer.
smile.gif

Armyqt said:
Hey Allandra, I did a rollerset the other day using the Lafier Almond and honey rinse too. My hair was sooo soft and shiny. I only have one bottle and sometimes I use it as a final rinse. I"m gonna have to find a way to get some more soon. anyway, after conditioning, I left my hair sopping wet and applied some the Lafier and rollerset as usual. It was very nice. Thanks to you and Blkmane for posting this
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad it worked out for you.

Allandra said:
brownrelaxedhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse is a Dominican conditioner. Honey is one of the ingredients.

[/ QUOTE ]
There goes that word...DOMINICAN...
this sounds really good. Allandra, can I get this at the store in Wheaton?

lala said:
For those of you with hair below shoulder length. How many rollers do you usually use on average? I want to learn how to rollerset, but I'm not sure how many rollers I should be using.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use 20 rollers. I use a mixture of orange and the purple ones.

sweetcocoa said:
There goes that word...DOMINICAN...
this sounds really good. Allandra, can I get this at the store in Wheaton?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's where I purchased mine from.

vevster said:
I have just completed my second successful rollerset. This time I experimented with what I use to moisten my hair as I set. I used to use plain water. Today I added a bit of Elucence leave in to it and that worked fine. For a couple of rollers I used Cathy Howse's dew which I felt gave me more slip.

What are you all doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I use different stuff...my main stay is Lottabody Creme. It's thick and takes a while to dry. The last time I used just jojoba oil mixed with some distilled water in a bottle and sprayed it on. My hair dried faster...but I like the Lottabody better. I'm always open to new ideas.

I either use 911 emergency leave -in or infusium 3 leave-in mixed with either olive oil or grapeseed oil. This always gives me excellent results.

uh oh, you know 'Dominican' is the ultimate no-no word. It does sound very very good but this time I'm exercising restraint after my fall out with Tropical Avocado....

I'll let you go first at least and try it
smile.gif

Allandra said:
I have no idea how many rollers I use. I just make sure I don't have too much hair on each roller (so it will dry and come out nice and smooth). The next time I do a rollerset, I will post how many rollers I use. BTW, I use the large purple magnetic rollers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, thanks for your response. I do have some purple rollers, but I need more than 10 I think. I'll get more and see what happens.
smile.gif

Thanks sweetcocoa, I'll definitely need to get another pack of rollers. I have a few purple and 10 grey ones. I'm gonna need some practice though...

I would recommend watching how the stylists set your hair in the salon.

I always use a serum (Fantasia IC Hair Polisher) and a leave in. This really helps keep the frizzies away and has given me some of the best rollersets.

I usually section my hair off into six parts (held away with butterfly clips) and roll from there. This makes it easier for me.

I have that Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse. It's says it's good for relaxed or chemically treated hair. I will try it the next time as a setting lotion.
cool.gif

What are end papers for and how do you use them?

Also when you wrap your hair, how do you do it if your hair is very short?

End paper are little tissue papers that you wrap your ends with if you have the frizzies it may help.

I use a leave in and a serum - usually only on the last few inches of my hair. I put the leave in on first and then use the serum to "seal" the moisture from the leave in into the hair.

Works like a charm. When I do more than this product wise my hair comes out too heavy.

My rollerset came out so awesome tonight. Well much thanks to a live-in family friend that went to hair school, she will be doing my rollersets every week. I am so happy.

I could never do my own rollersets, my hair would have a very dry feeling afterwards. And then I was thinking that it was my hair, but I know now it was cause I have no idea on how to rollerset. But when she did it, my hair came out so smooth and silky.

So anyway, I washed with Lanza protein plus shampoo and then used NACIDIT olive oil conditiiner (really good) for about 20 minutes, no heat. Rinsed. And then while my hair is sopping wet (I dont towel dry) she sprayed lottabody texturizing setting lotion (ready to use formula) and proceeded to rollerset my hair. And she also sprayed more stting lotion as needed while doing the set.

flip_1.jpg

lala said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, about 24 purple magnetic rollers fits on my head.

20 rollers does it for me. 9 purple, the rest are gray. Salerm 21 or Sebastian #9 are what I set with on a regular when I do doobies. When I want my hair to be curlier, I use Lottabody (diluted one) and Infusium.

I appreciate the responses. I have some Salerm 21, I'm gonna give it a try. I plan to do a doobie. I like my hair straight b/c it will get curly and wavy as the new growth comes in. My hair curls very easily when wetset, so I don't need any setting lotion. I've not had good results with Lottabody but then I've never tried it diluted.

Back