Those who have fine strands - Detangling / Build-up Question

What's your strand thickness and what helps you detangle?

• I have fine strands and creamy products help me detangle

Votes: 75 52.8%
  • I have fine strands and cone-filled products help me detangle

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • I have fine strands and watery products help me detangle

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • I have fine strands and oily products help me detangle

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • I have thick strands and creamy products help me detangle

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have thick strands and cone-filled products help me detangle

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I have thick strands and watery products help me detangle

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I have thick strands and oily products help me detangle

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • NOTHING helps me detangle

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • I just like clicking buttons

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon123

So Neith posted a thread recently asking what melts tangles away. Lots of advice, but this particular post by AlmondEyes stood out to me.

Neith, I stopped using detangler products. When I started doing my spray mists with my aloe juice and water (in fact I think my hair doesn't even need the aloe juice), I eliminated the need to use these products. I need less than I thought I did. Again finer textures cannot take too much build up of products it makes detangling a problem.

The reason it stood out is because it sounded a lot like my hair. So many others find their detangling difficulties are eased by using more and more product. For example some people say they use 1/4 of a bottle of conditioner in detangling! But for me, the more I put on, the stickier and stickier my hair becomes. I think that's what was happening in this thread where I reported my hair felt like glue. Especially because I was using conditioners with cones in them, and I've found that they are the worst culprits.

So I wondered who else had this experience and if it really was a matter of fine vs. thick strands. Also I wondered what caused it. Was it any creamy substance? Was it only cone-based creamy substances? Did watery products (like S-Curl) have the same effect?

Sorry there are no options for medium strands. There's a limit of 10 options in a poll. If you use only water, vote in "watery products". If you use only oil, vote in "oily products". If you reply, it might be helpful if you say if you are relaxed or natural, too.

ETA: In order to know what thickness of strands you have, you can do this test: Separate 1 ply out of 2-ply sewing thread. If your strand is thicker than this, you have thick strands. If it is around the same thickness, you have medium. If it is noticeably finer, you have fine strands.

Last edited:
Don't see the poll. How does one know what type of strands they have? I need to know before I answer your poll.

I have fine strands and cones help me to detangle. I've used my heat protectants to help me detangle BUT I've recently clarified and used Paul Mitchell's The Detangler and it really helped. I've not used any cones this wash cycle.

I have fine strands and not a lot of density, so honestly, I detangle in water mostly. I comb my hair out with water from the shower running on it or while I have conditioner in it. However, I can almost always run a comb from root to end with little snag. I don't do it that way because I'm being gentle with my hair these days so I usually start half ways up, comb down, then do one long comb from root to tip. I cant have too much junk in my hair or else it feels heavy and sticky and gross.

I have fine strands, and if the conditioner is too thick it causes the hairs to stick together a little and the comb (or my fingers) get stuck. I've had the most success with my water (jojoba, glycerin) mixture.

Don't see the poll. How does one know what type of strands they have? I need to know before I answer your poll.

You have to wait a few minutes whenever there is a poll. That is because you have to post the topic first and then you add a poll to it, so there's always a delay.

In order to know what thickness of strands you have, you can do this test: Separate 1 ply out of 2-ply sewing thread. If your strand is thicker than this, you have thick strands. If it is around the same thickness, you have medium. If it is noticeably finer, you have fine strands.

The majority of my strands are fine but I have thick hair at the same time. My hair likes to be detangled w/ creamy conditioners such as Suave. I don't use products w/ cones.

The majority of my strands are fine but I have thick hair at the same time. My hair likes to be detangled w/ creamy conditioners such as Suave. I don't use products w/ cones.

by that do you mean you have thick strands in addition to your fine strands, or do you mean you have a lot of fine strands (more density)?

I have fine hair, and I can detangle best with creamy and cone-filled stuff.
Herbal Essences LTR Leave-In, Kid's Organics Detangling Lotion, and Mane n Tail Detangling Spray are all wonderful for helping me get my tangles out without ripping out my hair. The Leave-In and the Kid's Organics are creamy and have cones. The Spray is watery, but it's cone heavy.

i have extremely fine hair, and voted for oily and cone-filled products. as long as i transition, i can't give up cones, otherwise my hair would get matted during each wash.

i enjoyed neutrogena triple moisture conditioners for detangling (but never repurchased), and also Bed Head by Tigi has really nice cone-heavy conditioners that are perfect for in-shower detangling.

i also like saturating my hair and scalp with coconut oil before doing ayurvedic powder rinses, my hair doesn't tangle nearly as much as it would without the oil.

I really don't know the answer to this. I'd like to say less is more for me coz I don't use products much, but I also don't really know the answer coz I don't let my hair get tangled in the first place.

Mwedzi, I remember your hair sticking together back when I was trying to show you how easy it is to comb with conditioner in your hair (when I made this vid) and one thing I distinctly remember is when you would add more creamy conditioner, your hair would not be wet enough, which led to your hair getting sticky. I'd have the same problem if my hair was not soaking wet and I applied conditioner then tried to run a comb through it. In other words, products have to be slippery but watery for a comb to glide through my hair.

The one time I recall detangling was after going to bed with a twist-out in the front that wasn't twisted back for the night. I rarely have to deal with so much hair at once so that called for adopting Happily Me's finger combing technique using conditioner. But now that I think about it, I did use a creamy conditioner on hair that wasn't wet. :confused: Hmm.... :scratchch I did not use a comb. I used fingers and it worked. I only wet my hair after it was fully finger combed.

The tangled hair:
Hairinneedofdetangle-vi.jpg

Same hair covered in Organix Vanilla Silk conditioner minus water:
tanglingwithOrganixVanillaSilk-vi.jpg

The hair rinsed after being detangled with fingers while coated in conditioner:
anddetangledhairbelieveitornot-vi.jpg

So there you are. I have no clue.

Perhaps if using a comb, I need something light and wet/slippery but if using fingers, I need something creamy and slippery? I couldn't say for sure. I try not to get myself to a point where detangling becomes necessary.

Mwedzi, I think it is important to also know if the women with fine hair are relaxed or natural. I have fine hair for sure and whenever I use products that are too creamy, I see lots of hair in my comb and even when I am twisting and not using my comb. Now that I use the aloe juice and water, I don't see that at all. Just to prove a point, I was thinking maybe I have to use something heavier so I used some ORS Carrot Oil on top of the aloe juice/water mix and I had hair everywhere. Even those with finer hair textures who say they use creamy products, I think those that don't lose hair probably use a product that has a light consistency (meaning not too sticky or gummy).

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
I have fine hair and as long as I'm pre pooing and dcing, I don't have too much problem with detangling with water only. I think my hair behaves better this way. I see more shedding when I manipulate my wet hair with alot of product.

Well I had a GREAT experience using coconut oil to detangle under running warm water in the shower yesterday. This just MAY be my techique going forward. I struggle more with DC's and less with a cone DC. However, I'm trying to cut down my cone usage....

I well maybe I'll try aloe vera juice and water. I tried bentonite clay (pretty good) and currently use Knot today with marshmallow root. My moto has always been the creamier the better, but I haven't tried the alternative. I know I can't just detangle with water. I only detangle in the shower with my hair drenched too.

I'm not natural but I still have issues with hair tangling.

I have fine strands and I CANNOT detangle with lots of product in my hair. My hair detangles best when clean and after DC has already been rinsed out.

I have fine strands and products like chi silk infusion and Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil really help with detangling. Both of these products are cone filled however, I have yet to experience any negative effects from using cones.

i have fine hair.. i tried paul mitchel the detangler..and it did nothing for me..

I happened to pick up mane and tail detangler yesterday..and all i can say is WoW..my hair just glided through the comb...this stuff is AMAZING..my 14 week post rollerset was a breeze..

Last edited:
I have very fine strands, but dense hair (natural).
Water and coconut oil help me detangle after wash.

it's pretty much impossible for me to detangle when not under a stream of water; it is just too hard otherwise

You already know how my hair is, but I'll post anyways. I have fine strands and I'm natural. The majority of my set backs can be traced back to a product that has cones. They feel good initially, but then my hair strands stick together. Sometime I get tangles from root to tip.

I don't use cones anymore now. I dont use a lot of products on my hair. Daily I spritz with African Royale braid spray, which is basically a water-glycerin spritz. Occasionally I seal with a shea butter-coconut oil mix.

My detanger of choice is Knot Today. I guess it's a cream? but the consistency is light and almost gel like. I've been detangling on dry hair that was just washed and DC'd. Today I might try it on damp hair. The other detanger I like is Just for Me 2-in-1 spray detangler. It's watery.

Mwedzi, I think it is important to also know if the women with fine hair are relaxed or natural. I have fine hair for sure and whenever I use products that are too creamy, I see lots of hair in my comb and even when I am twisting and not using my comb. Now that I use the aloe juice and water, I don't see that at all. Just to prove a point, I was thinking maybe I have to use something heavier so I used some ORS Carrot Oil on top of the aloe juice/water mix and I had hair everywhere. Even those with finer hair textures who say they use creamy products, I think those that don't lose hair probably use a product that has a light consistency (meaning not too sticky or gummy).

Best,
Almond Eyes

I well maybe I'll try aloe vera juice and water. I tried bentonite clay (pretty good) and currently use Knot today with marshmallow root. My moto has always been the creamier the better, but I haven't tried the alternative. I know I can't just detangle with water. I only detangle in the shower with my hair drenched too.

When my hair is really tangled, the only thing that works is ORS replenishing mixed with some EVOO or MNT detangling spray. So I voted for cone filled and oily products. I have fine strands and Im relaxed. I find that too much product makes my hair sticky and harder to detangle as well

You already know how my hair is, but I'll post anyways. I have fine strands and I'm natural. The majority of my set backs can be traced back to a product that has cones. They feel good initially, but then my hair strands stick together. Sometime I get tangles from root to tip.

I don't use cones anymore now. I dont use a lot of products on my hair. Daily I spritz with African Royale braid spray, which is basically a water-glycerin spritz. Occasionally I seal with a shea butter-coconut oil mix.

My detanger of choice is Knot Today. I guess it's a cream? but the consistency is light and almost gel like. I've been detangling on dry hair that was just washed and DC'd. Today I might try it on damp hair. The other detanger I like is Just for Me 2-in-1 spray detangler. It's watery.

Hmm that's a good point... the consistency is not really creamy. I tend to use a lot of VO 5 conditioner first befire the knot today, but the only reason is that KT is pricy and so I'm trying to stretch the product. It def works better than the thicker VO 5.

I do the oil rinse and comb under running water IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION EVER for me.

I'm a natural w/ fine strands but dense hair. I detangle on dry hair. Detangling on wet hair leads to matted hair and knots--just a whole lot of frustration in general.

When I detangle my twist-out, I divide my hair into six sections. Then I apply a light to medium coat of oil to one section to make my hair more pliable. Then I start detangling with my fingers. When I feel that I've detangled well enough with my fingers, I generously spray my Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In on the section. Then I finger detangle some more. Then I comb my hair from the ends to the root. I stay on the same section until the comb is able to glide through my hair from root to ends.

I repeat this process for the remaining five sections.

fine/dense strands I voted all 4 under certain conditions

natural: the right dc,rinse out or leave in, creamy, cones or oil

relaxed: hair is prone to tangling, the right dc would detangle or make it easy
any dc I used had to produce the above results

transitioning: ng can be untangled but relaxed ends tangled terribly simultaneously
remedy: detangle on dry hair with oil, ie grapeseed
conditioners with behentrimonium methosulfate allow me to detangle the relaxed part but I feel it's too much manipulation./patience required so I wash/dc in detangled plaits

never been a fan of detangling under shower water in any state.It just doesn't feel right with the amount of manipulating required + the downward force of the water in my hair's weakest state.

I have fine strands and watery/ light oily products help me detangle. Products like Organics Leave-in hair mayo, Mane'n'tail detangler spray and Kid's Organics Shea butter detangling lotion.

Thanks for all the input!

Mwedzi, I remember your hair sticking together back when I was trying to show you how easy it is to comb with conditioner in your hair (when I made this vid) and one thing I distinctly remember is when you would add more creamy conditioner, your hair would not be wet enough, which led to your hair getting sticky. I'd have the same problem if my hair was not soaking wet and I applied conditioner then tried to run a comb through it. In other words, products have to be slippery but watery for a comb to glide through my hair.

The one time I recall detangling was after going to bed with a twist-out in the front that wasn't twisted back for the night. I rarely have to deal with so much hair at once so that called for adopting Happily Me's finger combing technique using conditioner. But now that I think about it, I did use a creamy conditioner on hair that wasn't wet. :confused: Hmm.... :scratchch I did not use a comb. I used fingers and it worked. I only wet my hair after it was fully finger combed.

So there you are. I have no clue.

Perhaps if using a comb, I need something light and wet/slippery but if using fingers, I need something creamy and slippery? I couldn't say for sure. I try not to get myself to a point where detangling becomes necessary.

Hmm, that's curious. Water does help with the stickiness, but even when I add water, the problem is the same, just not as extreme. I'm impressed that you are able to detangle on dry hair with cones. I might as well try to detangle with glue. But you keep your hair in twists and so keep it not tangled, which is a smart move.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Actually I voted creamy and oily and what you predict about creamy is right for me. That is, even though it's creamy, it's very light. I use V05, my favorite being Vanilla Mint Tea which is V05's lightest.

I couldn't add relaxed vs. natural to the poll (not enough options), but I did go back and add it to the original post. What do you think the difference would be?

What is the consistency of aloe juice? Is it just like water?

Well I had a GREAT experience using coconut oil to detangle under running warm water in the shower yesterday. This just MAY be my techique going forward. I struggle more with DC's and less with a cone DC. However, I'm trying to cut down my cone usage....

This brings up a point I never understand. If you put something on your hair and detangle under water, how does it not just wash off immediately? If I put coconut oil on my hair and then stuck the hair under water, my hair would become not oily in less than 5 seconds. I honestly don't understand.

Anyway, I'm glad something is working so well for you.

I'm a natural w/ fine strands but dense hair. I detangle on dry hair. Detangling on wet hair leads to matted hair and knots--just a whole lot of frustration in general.

When I detangle my twist-out, I divide my hair into six sections. Then I apply a light to medium coat of oil to one section to make my hair more pliable. Then I start detangling with my fingers. When I feel that I've detangled well enough with my fingers, I generously spray my Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In on the section. Then I finger detangle some more. Then I comb my hair from the ends to the root. I stay on the same section until the comb is able to glide through my hair from root to ends.

I repeat this process for the remaining five sections.

Now dry hair detangling is something I've tried, too, and it's actually not too bad of a way for me. And yes, if my hair is completely wet it makes it harder for me. So even when I add product, I try not to have my hair be super wet because it shrinks up and so tangles more.

So really you detangle first with just oil and then you do a second detangling with a non-cone spray? Okay.

Back