Those that wash while in twists and/or braids--How?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I want to preface by saying that the search feature won't work for me.

DD is natural APL-BSL and I keep her in twists and cornrows for two weeks at a time. I want to start washing at that in between week point without redoing her hair. How do you do it without losing the neatness of the style or causing more fuzziness?

I want to preface by saying that the search feature won't work for me.

DD is natural APL-BSL and I keep her in twists and cornrows for two weeks at a time. I want to start washing at that in between week point without redoing her hair. How do you do it without losing the neatness of the style or causing more fuzziness?

I keep mine in for about a month at a time and conditioner wash once a week. For me I have learned to embrace my fuzzies, and I like them. However when I wanna maintain that "fresh look" I only redo the crown and front as needed. I make sure that I use good leave-ins to prevent severe tangling. It works for me. Some put a wig cap or stocking cap on before washing to try to prevent frizzies, and some section then spray a diluted mix of shampoo in between the rows and carefully massage the scalp and then squeeze the rest carefully though the twists.

The only way that I have not had frizzies when washing is when I use a mineral oil/petroleum based product on damp hair to initally twist with such as let's jam. This keeps ALL my frizz at bay, but the downside is that it blocks moisture(ie. leave-in spray) that I like to use daily and I have to seriously clarify after using that stuff. Plus my hair is NOT touchable when I use it.

I prefer to have touchable hair that frizzes other then non-frizzing hair. I do love to wash my hair daily in the summer, so I just get used to the frizz.

I tame the frizzies with a tightly tied scarf, and some of Oyin's Burnt Sugar (fabulous pomade that's water soluble) on a daily basis. Once it gets to the point that not even the scarf helps, I redo the really fuzzy bits to get me to the weekend.

I've heard of people who wash under a stocking (old toe end, on head, put shampoo on top, wash, rinse, take off stocking, rinse) to help cut down on the fuzzies - but I haven't done that myself...

I embrace my frizz. ESPECIALLY because I want to wet my head every day. It's either a rinse or a co-wash under the shower. I NEVER wash with shampoo while in twists...mine will permanently loc up.

I do not manipulate myhair the same while cowashiung in twists as I would using shampoo. I squeeze the conditioner thorugh the length of the hair & leave it in while I handle the rest of my shower and cool water rinse at the end.

I don't care about the frizz while in braids

I squirt the conditioner unto my scalp and I massage my scalp .....water helps the condish to run down the length of the braids

I use diluted shampoo and concentrate on my scalp with the pads of my fingertips. Then apply conditioner and squeeze it through the twists. I keep my twists in for about three or four weeks and wash with shampoo once a week, and just do a conditioner run through once or twice a week in between. My frizzies don't start really showing until week two, but I've learned to just accept it. I just redo the ones that look really tore up. I've never tried that stocking method either.

my braid routine,
I wear braids every summer and follow the C & G method,
I use Diluted Infusium and also African Royale Braid Spray Don't get African Pride. It's not as good and it's not a black owned company....Royale is.

I don't wash my hair frequently when I'm wearing braids I mainly concentrate on the scalp and the new growth and I use the two sprays to moisturize down the length of my hair.

I have a hand held shower sprayer. When I want to wash, I dilute some moisturizing or clarifying poo in a small bottle. In the shower, I hold the length of the hair up in the air and I pour the mixture over my scalp. sometimes I might add a dab more of undiluted poo on my fingers and then I use the other hand (that isn't holding the hair) to lather my scalp in between the squares. Don't scrub hard or it's make your roots too fuzzy too fast. also, I really don't want a lather. Then I spray really close to my scalp to wash the soap out.
By holding the hair up, the soap and water won't run down the braids and they won't be saturated.

Another method I use is, I clean my scalp & new growth with just warm water & a washcloth. This is also the method I use for cornrows.
I do that almost every day.

I only saturate my whole head of hair if I've been swimming in a pool or the ocean and it needs to be clarified. Other than that, I moisturize with the sprays.

I have also read that if you put a stocking over your head/hair and wash with diluted shampoo while it is on and let it dry with the stocking still on.
That is supposed to keep the fuzzies to a minimum.

I'm never tried that but it sounds good in theory.

I have 2 daughters. I usually wash in 3 or 4 loose plaits. If I am clarifying, I will undo each in the shower, to detangle. Otherwise, I prepoo, shampoo, condish under the shower as usual.

At night, before bed, I take out their scrunchies. The older one sleeps with a silk bonnet. In the mornings, getting ready for school, extracirricular acts, and etc...all I do is spritz plain water, apply leave-in, and seal with oil. I tie a scarf on the oldest daughter, to flatten the flyaways while she eats breakfast.

If their style needs a quick freshening up, I may comb their hair maybe 2x a week MAX. They have retained a lot of growth this way.

After I applied my DC on dry hair...(had to rinse REALLY well, cuz I kept finding condish residue on my scalp!)

I mixed my condish and some baking soda (just for fun) in a spray bottle, scratch my scalp for a quick sec., hopped in the shower, let the water rinse off my scalp, gathered twists and made 4 braided sections, prayed mixture on the hair and scalp, let it sit for a bit and then rinse (repeat), undo braids and apply my moisturizer (butter me up by Blended Beauty) and rebraid. Let airdry. This am, my braids ware fuzzy but my hair is moist. Fuzzies don't bother me at all. My goal is to not redo them until June at some point.

All I know is that I saw no hairs in my tub YIPPEE....

Back